Canadian Chess Championships

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canadian Chess Championships

To my understanding, the Canadian Open is in July?

The Canadian Closed is when? Still chances for 2000s to be crowned FMs and 2200s to be crowned IMs?

Re : Canadian Chess Championships

Yes, the Canadian Open is from July 19-26.

A number of tournaments are looking for organizers (including the Canadian Closed). See this report by Richard Bérubé, CFC tournament coordinator :

TOURNAMENT COORDINATOR REPORT (JANUARY 2014)
    Here is the situation :
    1) Canadian Junior 2014 : No organizer on the horizon, at least none that contacted the Tournament coordinator. We know that Chess and Maths (Larry Bevand) declined the invitation to organize the tournament. The form of this tournament is such that it’s difficult to organize it on a simple weekend. The best time of the year is probably Easter.

2) Canadian closed : Canada has to organize a zonal before the mid-year of 2015. From the organizer point of view, a Zonal is a lot more interesting than a regular championship. I contacted potential organizers and one in Trois-Rivières might be interested. Mr Roger Greiss is well known in Quebec and he is an experienced organizer. Lately he tried to prepare a bid for the World Junior Championship 2016, but lacking support from the city of Shawinigan, he decided not to go further. He still wants to put an end to his career as a chess organizer with a big event and the Canadian closed might be a good idea if, he said, the FQE could bring a support. More about that soon.

3) Women Championship : No organizer yet. Considering the low number of participants, I think this tournament can be combined with another national tournament, like for example, the Senior or even the Junior and this might be done over a long weekend.

Richard Bérubé
    There was interest from Nova Scotia in organizing the 2015 Canadian Open and CYCC, but it unfortunately didn't work out. We haven't heard about Trois-Rivières, so I would imagine that any organizer for the Canadian Closed is still most welcome. But to be honest, without financial support from the CFC it's probably the hardest tournament to organize. When I organized it in 2012, we had to find close to $5000 in sponsorship (plus the support of the FQE) to make it possible and it was still far from being perfect.

Comment

Re: Re : Canadian Chess Championships

Originally posted by Felix Dumont View Post
      Yes, the Canadian Open is from July 19-26.

A number of tournaments are looking for organizers (including the Canadian Closed). See this report by Richard Bérubé, CFC tournament coordinator :

There was interest from Nova Scotia in organizing the 2015 Canadian Open and CYCC, but it unfortunately didn't work out. We haven't heard about Trois-Rivières, so I would imagine that any organizer for the Canadian Closed is still most welcome. But to be honest, without financial support from the CFC it's probably the hardest tournament to organize. When I organized it in 2012, we had to find close to $5000 in sponsorship (plus the support of the FQE) to make it possible and it was still far from being perfect.
      Somewhere a room has been reserved just in case. The timing of the Olympiad may make things a bit awkward. At the moment holding a women's closed is fairly urgent due to world championship issues. Once we put out the big fire which is making sure that we continue to exist beyond October 17th we will have time to look at putting out all these other fires.

Holding national championships and sending teams to the olympiad are only just behind survival as priorities of the CFC. We are financially healthy which gives us options.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
        Somewhere a room has been reserved just in case. The timing of the Olympiad may make things a bit awkward. At the moment holding a women's closed is fairly urgent due to world championship issues. Once we put out the big fire which is making sure that we continue to exist beyond October 17th we will have time to look at putting out all these other fires.

Holding national championships and sending teams to the olympiad are only just behind survival as priorities of the CFC. We are financially healthy which gives us options.
        Vlad, I have some ideas, maybe we can chat Monday?

Comment

Originally posted by Aris Marghetis View Post
          Vlad, I have some ideas, maybe we can chat Monday?
          Sure, any time that I am home...

Comment

Still chances for 2000s to be crowned FMs and 2200s to be crowned IMs?

AKA still FM and IM titles up for grab?

Comment

BUMP 10char

Comment

Working...
              X