GTCL meeting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GTCL meeting

I received an agenda for the GTCL meeting and an indication that there may be some discussion posted on chesstalk regarding the topics raised in the meeting in particular on junior chess issues. Anyone who was at the meeting care to make a summary of the key points discussed?

In particular I am interested in the agenda item with regard to the 2015 CYCC.
    Last edited by Vlad Drkulec; Monday, 28th April, 2014, 01:32 PM.

Re : GTCL meeting

Hi Vlad,

I wasn't able to attend, but we were contacted yesterday wrt to
    organizing the 2015 CYCC. Our response was that there appeared
    to be already 5-6 bidders, and our schedule remains incredibly tight.

There was also a request for an IA to help FIDE-rate the upcoming
    Ontario Open - our response was again we are constrained by our
    burgeoning schedule, but there was already a vocal IA campaigning
    ferociously for this year's Ontario Open - now that it's confirmed,
    I am sure the venerable Mr. Marghetis would be more than delighted
    to assist run the 2014 Ontario Open gratis, as well as help FIDE-rate it.

Francis

Francis Rodrigues, Regional Director
    Chess'n Math Association; toronto@chess-math.org
    tel: 416-488-5506; 416-486-3395; 647-232-6014 (cell)
    701 Mt. Pleasant Road, Toronto, ON, M4S 2N4
    fax:416-486-4637; website: www.chess-math.org

Comment

Re: GTCL meeting

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
      I received an agenda for the GTCL meeting and an indication that there may be some discussion posted on chesstalk regarding the topics raised in the meeting in particular on junior chess issues. Anyone who was at the meeting care to make a summary of the key points discussed?

In particular I am interested in the agenda item with regard to the 2015 CYCC.
      The item received some brief treatment, because Francis Rodrigues, who was to have presented a proposal to host the tournament over Easter 2015 in Toronto, was not able to attend the meeting. A more general discussion in his absence emphasized the need to host the tournament in March or April in order to fit with NAYCC, Pan-Am, and WYCC timing. The Easter weekend would in fact conflict with the proposed date for the 2015 Toronto Open at Annex Chess Club, and several parents in attendance suggested a March break weekend. Even without uniform March break schedules across different school boards, missing a couple days of school seemed acceptable to them.

More discussion took place around current difficulties in receiving clarifications (or even a reply to email) from the current CFC Youth Coordinator, and about the need for a Committee of Parents to assist the Coordinator. GTCL will make recommendations to CFC based on this discussion.
      Marcus Wilker
      Annex Chess Club
      Toronto, Ontario

Comment

Re: GTCL meeting

We looked into changing the timing of CYCC to March break but no two provinces are the same. Vadim Tsypin provided a PDF with some of the schedules for March Break. I have copied and pasted from that pdf. If we want a one province CYCC we are in great shape but anything else suggests that the best time for CYCC is right where it is - in the summer when everyone can play.

Spring Break (grade schools)
        Province / Territory Spring Break - customary Spring
        Break 2014
        Newfoundland and Labrador
        Mid-March, 1 week March 08-16

Prince Edward Island
        End of March, 1 week March 15-23

Nova Scotia

New Brunswick
        Start of March, 1 week March 01-09

Quebec
        Start of March, 1 week March 01-09

Ontario

Manitoba
        End of March, 1 week March 31 - April 06

Saskatchewan
        Mid-April, 1 week April 19-27

Alberta
        End of March, 2 weeks, varies by region March 21 - April 06

British Columbia
        End of March, 2 weeks, varies by region March 14-31

Yukon
        End of March, 2 weeks March 17-28

Northwest Territory
        End of March, 1 week March 31 - April 06
        Nunavut
        February (ped week)

It appears that Windsor will be putting together a bid for the 2015 CYCC. The experience of OYCC is that Easter is not the best time to hold such an event. The numbers were down by about twenty from last year. The best solution is to try to avoid the Pan Am tournament if we can but if we can't avoid it let the kids that want to go to the Pan Am go and don't prevent them from applying for WYCC through the procedure that was created for extra players and strong juniors. The FQE moved the timing of the CYCC as I recall in order to avoid the Pan Am tournament only to have the organizers move it again so that the two tournaments were in conflict once again. If you want to set tournament schedules for a large event such as CYCC in most circumstances you have to do it a year in advance so with FIDE allowing changes in timing a few months ahead of the tournament we should perhaps just realize that we are not going to manage to make the two tournaments mesh.

NAYCC is experiencing attendance problems because of its conflict with school schedules in June.

Comment

Re: Re : GTCL meeting

Originally posted by Francis Rodriguez View Post
          Hi Vlad,

I wasn't able to attend, but we were contacted yesterday wrt to
          organizing the 2015 CYCC. Our response was that there appeared
          to be already 5-6 bidders, and our schedule remains incredibly tight.
          We have one bidder that offered to take on the CYCC if no one else wanted to put it on. I was looking into the logistics of hosting it in Windsor when a number of the Windsor chess parents started an email discussion about hosting the tournament independent of my ideas which I hadn't mentioned to anyone yet. If we did it in Windsor we might be able to count on as many as fifty local kids playing especially if we can bring back a few of the kids who have recently retired from chess. We have 32 Windsor area kids qualified to play in the CYCC in Montreal this year with 31 expressing some interest in playing. Many have already made hotel reservations.

Originally posted by Francis Rodriguez View Post
          There was also a request for an IA to help FIDE-rate the upcoming
          Ontario Open - our response was again we are constrained by our
          burgeoning schedule, but there was already a vocal IA campaigning
          ferociously for this year's Ontario Open - now that it's confirmed,
          I am sure the venerable Mr. Marghetis would be more than delighted
          to assist run the 2014 Ontario Open gratis, as well as help FIDE-rate it.
          My understanding of the rules is that you need to submit the tournament at least a month in advance to FIDE which is going to be a bit difficult with everyone scrambling and the tournament less than a month off.

Francis

Francis Rodrigues, Regional Director
          Chess'n Math Association; toronto@chess-math.org
          tel: 416-488-5506; 416-486-3395; 647-232-6014 (cell)
          701 Mt. Pleasant Road, Toronto, ON, M4S 2N4
          fax:416-486-4637; website: www.chess-math.org

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
            My understanding of the rules is that you need to submit the tournament at least a month in advance to FIDE which is going to be a bit difficult with everyone scrambling and the tournament less than a month off.
            You should write facts (rules) especially being the CFC President. H.Brodie has already cited them at http://www.chesstalk.info/forum/show...ll=1#post79732

The tournament and its playing schedule must be registered one week before the tournament starts.

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
              You should write facts (rules) especially being the CFC President. H.Brodie has already cited them at http://www.chesstalk.info/forum/show...ll=1#post79732

The tournament and its playing schedule must be registered one week before the tournament starts.
              Those regulations have been changed relatively recently. They took effect in July of 2013. I do not read every post in every thread on chesstalk. I know what the rules were when we tried to organize a FIDE event in Windsor in 2012. Given the large flurry of press releases and announcements from FIDE it is not entirely surprising that I may have missed this one particularly given that I was not on all the email announcement lists until June of 2013 when I became CFC president.
              Last edited by Vlad Drkulec; Tuesday, 29th April, 2014, 01:50 PM.

Comment

Your comment makes you look like a loser. Do you really think Vlad wrote to deliberately deceive people? Congrats. You just joined all the people here who post like jerks.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Profit View Post
                  Do you really think Vlad wrote to deliberately deceive people? Congrats.
                  LOL Your imagination is incredibly jerkish.

Comment

I find it amazing that you can even turn your computer on to go to chesstalk, since you are clearly so stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Profit View Post
                      I find it amazing that you can even turn your computer on to go to chesstalk, since you are clearly so stupid.
                      How about you 2 geniuses refrain from abuse and just stick to making whatever arguments you have?

signed,

Nige
                      the heavy-handed Moderator
                      Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

Working...
                      X