Chess Canada Webzine A SIMPLE TASK FAILED

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Chess Canada Webzine A SIMPLE TASK FAILED

I would like to see people who haven't played for a century taken off the top player's list

Comment

Re: Good job Vincent

Originally posted by Eric Hansen View Post
      I think www.uschess.org is an excellent federation website, and we should try to use that as a model.
      I remember this from the Japanese, First and foremost they imitated, after that, they innovated, to make it better if not the best!

Comment

The upcoming events/tournaments has been fixed. I don't know if it is useful or misleading, but I also included a hit counter for amusement.

Comment

Hi Vincent:

A nice further improvement - Thanks.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by David Peng View Post
            I would like to see people who haven't played for a century taken off the top player's list
            I would like to see people who haven't played since the turn of the millennium to be taken off the top player's list, more fair that way :D
            Shameless self-promotion on display here
            http://www.youtube.com/user/Barkyducky?feature=mhee

Comment

On some lists, the limit is 2 or three years of inactivity, and off the list - activity can either be in Canada, or internationally. But the practical problem is someone has to track the players' activity. I don't know if a program can be written, tied to the CFC rating system , and the FIDE rating system, that would immediately be able to identity those on the list inactive for say 3 years.

I have a list of the top 5 Canadian FIDE rated players, and top 5 FIDE rated Canadian Women players active in the last 2 years, that I publish in the Scarborough CC newsletter, the Scarborough Community of Toronto Chess News & Views. But the issue is that I do have to keep checking to see that the players listed have played. But I have to do it only for 10 players.

It would certainly highlight who the active top players are if we had an up-to-date list like this.

It must be possible - look at the " live " rating list of top players that now exists. It is totally current. Hopefully, since the " Active top 50 " list is relatively few names, there would be some way of doing it.

Bob

P.S. I've drawn to the attention of the CFC a couple of times, that our most active GM, Bator Sambuev ( of the Russian Federation ), but now a landed Canadian, is not on the list. Would be good to correct this. Kovalyov made it and he's with the Argentinian Federation still.
              Last edited by Bob Armstrong; Saturday, 14th March, 2009, 07:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
                It would certainly highlight who the active top players are if we had an up-to-date list like this.
                I don't think activity is a criteria for inclusion in the list list. I haven't played in a CFC rated event in well over 30 years and am in the rating list.

Probably a membership requirement wouldn't work. The titled players who would be in the top 10 lists are all likely honourary life members.

Probably not having a pulse wouldn't work as a criteria. If a guy doesn't have to pay a membership and he hasn't played for almost half a century, how would they know if he has a pulse?
                Last edited by Gary Ruben; Sunday, 15th March, 2009, 02:22 AM.
                Gary Ruben
                CC - IA and SIM

Comment

A Current Top 50 Canadians List

Hi Gary:

They are not talking about wanting the full player master list " current ". They want the " top 50 Canadians " list to be current, so we know how the top players are comparing against each other in active play ( unless your in the top 50 and I missed your name !! :)).

Bob

Comment

Re: A Current Top 50 Canadians List

Hi Bob,

It's hard to exclude players from the top lists when some who haven't been active in Canada are still eligible for the national team. The criteria is a combination of CFC and FIDE rated events but there is no requirement that a player ever participate in another CFC event once he has attained a rating which suits him. It appears he may then use his CFC rating as a constant and his FIDE rating as a variable. If someone has a bad event there is no reason s/he should lose rating points from both rating requirement criteria.

I like the way they call part of the organization a legacy business. It's like a group of lawyers chatting about an estate. :)

Gary
                    Gary Ruben
                    CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                      It's hard to exclude players from the top lists when some who haven't been active in Canada are still eligible for the national team.
                      Use appropriate names for the list and there will be no confusion.
                      e.g.:
                      All time best CFC ratings;
                      Top CFC ratings list (by definition only the last N years are taken into account);
                      CFC rating list (everybody is included)

Just wondering: When has V.Anand played in India?

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post

Just wondering: When has V.Anand played in India?
                        No idea. I don't recall him playing in the last Olympiad either.

Still, as long as qualifications for our team are a blend of CFC and FIDE, it seems publishing the CFC ratings and the top players is transparent.

Possibly it's time to revisit and revise the articles in the CFC Handbook - if that's what's wanted.
                        Gary Ruben
                        CC - IA and SIM

Comment

I am talking about <http://members.chess.ca/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=86&Itemid=117>. It's not even consistent with <http://www.chess.ca/tlist.asp>

Comment

Working...
                          X