Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ontario Open 2014

Originally posted by Rebecca Giblon View Post
    I was only in a position to play 1700s because they were performing well in the tournament. I'd rather play a 2000 (perf. 1800) with 2/4 than a 1700 (perf. 1900) with 3/4 any day.
    I'm not knocking your performance Rebecca. Like I said you took care of business in the money rounds - beating an experienced vet like Bill Evans and then smashing Daniel Wiebe in his pet line of the Scotch. Well done!

It takes skill to win a tournament, and a shade of luck in some regard, just sayin ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Siddeley View Post
      Yes, congrats to Rebecca ...

I faced one 2000, 3 1900's, and 2 1800's and I was in the point bracket below...
      Swiss pairing systems determine an overall winner in the fewest rounds possible. I don't think this method (if it was used) is much good for anything else.

We had a TD in Winnipeg by the name of Waldemar Schulz who disdained to use software for pairings and would simply do the pairings using pairing cards, in public, at his desk between rounds. I loved this habit of his as it educated me on the methodology of (Swiss) pairing in a chess tournament. It also motivated me to direct a few tourneys myself.
      Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
        When a player drops a queen in the middle of the game what do you call it? LOL
        FYI Rebecca was already -2.33 on Houdini as black, by move 20, with white having no play and an airy king, just before she trapped white's queen. I wouldn't call that win "luck."

Comment

I'm not knocking your performance Rebecca. Like I said you took care of business in the money rounds - beating an experienced vet like Bill Evans and then smashing Daniel Wiebe in his pet line of the Scotch. Well done!

It takes skill to win a tournament, and a shade of luck in some regard, just sayin ;)
          Hugh, thanks for the good wishes part of your message. FYI even with 3 opponents in the 1700s, Rebecca's performance rating with 5 / 6 points for the tournament was 2162, which is not inconsistent with finishing tied for first in an Under 2100.

Comment

Originally posted by Nigel Hanrahan View Post
            Swiss pairing systems determine an overall winner in the fewest rounds possible. I don't think this method (if it was used) is much good for anything else.

We had a TD in Winnipeg by the name of Waldemar Schulz who disdained to use software for pairings and would simply do the pairings using pairing cards, in public, at his desk between rounds. I loved this habit of his as it educated me on the methodology of (Swiss) pairing in a chess tournament. It also motivated me to direct a few tourneys myself.
            I am always amazed how many experts on pairings there are, yet so few TDs... :-)
            There are a lot of subtleties in swiss pairings - I would guess most players know or have heard about half of them - sadly, it is often the irrelevant half.
            ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Giblon View Post
              Hugh, thanks for the good wishes part of your message. FYI even with 3 opponents in the 1700s, Rebecca's performance rating with 5 / 6 points for the tournament was 2162, which is not inconsistent with finishing tied for first in an Under 2100.
              Swiss with many rounds is a good thing - even a loss in an early round is not deadly - enough rounds to rise again. Hope to see her in Open sections soon :)

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Giblon View Post
                I'm just calling a spade a spade ;)

I hope you guys don't take it personally, we've all at some point landed on our feet pairing-wise.

Congrats must also go to Yinshi Li, whose performance rating with 5 / 6 points for the tournament was 2211.

My 2 games against the 1800's were annihilation city.

Against the 3 1900's and 2000 I soiled the bed quite badly - for the most part I couldn't convert advantageous positions due to stronger resistance, gifting points in some cases. Rebecca, on the other hand, faired much better against this same quality opponent. I can only imagine how badly she beat the 3 1700's ;)

Comment

When you look around and realize you're standing in a hole, take off those goofy gigantic 1980's headphones and stop digging.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
                    I am always amazed how many experts on pairings there are, yet so few TDs... :-)
                    There are a lot of subtleties in swiss pairings - I would guess most players know or have heard about half of them - sadly, it is often the irrelevant half.
                    We've also had some discussion here on ChessTalk in regard to differences between the software written by Thad Suits (SwissSystem is his software I think) of the USA and what the CFC pairing rules are. They're not identical. But, for those who simply rely upon the software, the difference can become an unpleasant surprise.

There are so few TDs, of course, partly because it is such an unappreciated task; partly because the few who do volunteer may feel reluctant to help others learn; and partly because we do not honour those who volunteer to make chess a success as much as we honour those who win chess games.
                    Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

I'm just calling a spade a spade ;)

I hope you guys don't take it personally, we've all at some point landed on our feet pairing-wise.

Congrats must also go to Yinshi Li, whose performance rating with 5 / 6 points for the tournament was 2211.

My 2 games against the 1800's were annihilation city.

Against the 3 1900's and 2000 I soiled the bed quite badly - for the most part I couldn't convert advantageous positions due to stronger resistance, gifting points in some cases. Rebecca, on the other hand, faired much better against this same quality opponent. I can only imagine how badly she beat the 3 1700's ;)
                      Well, well. Looks like someone has been doing some stickhandling. But do you really think you're fooling anyone, Hugh? Your original post in this thread was ungracious, ungentlemanly, unsportsmanlike, and whiny. Perhaps Rebecca's victory was her first in an open tournament. No doubt you've managed to remove some of the lustre for her. At this point, imo, you should just suck it up and apologize for your weak judgement in this thread.

(I won't be holding my breath)
                      Last edited by Peter McKillop; Thursday, 22nd May, 2014, 10:10 AM.
                      "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
                      "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
                      "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Originally posted by Peter McKillop View Post
                        Well, well. Looks like someone has been doing some stickhandling. But do you really think you're fooling anyone, Hugh? Your original post in this thread was ungracious, ungentlemanly, unsportsmanlike, and whiny. Perhaps Rebecca's victory was her first in an open tournament. No doubt you've managed to remove some of the lustre for her. At this point, imo, you should just suck it up and apologize for your weak judgement in this thread.

(I won't be holding my breath)
                        Really? Saying "I'm just wondering how she got paired with the 3 of the section's 6 1700's" was ungracious, ungentlemanly, unsportsmanlike, AND whiny?? I see a lot of straw man activity going on there McKillop.

Get off your high horse, and replace your avatar with because you're not fooling me or anyone on here. I'm not going to cross anymore bridges with you underneath.

Comment

Working...
                        X