FIDE Election for President

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FIDE Election for President

Who do the posters on Chesstalk want to win the 2014 FIDE election for President.
    Kirsan
    4.76%
    Garry
    64.29%
    None of the Above
    26.19%
    Either is fine with me.
    4.76%

Re: FIDE Election for President

Garik Kimovich Weinstein

Comment

“In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing.”
      - Theodore Roosevelt

From Kevin Spraggett's blog....

Comment

If someone can give a compelling argument why GK would be a better choice I am open-minded on the subject, but at least for 2600-2700 players KI has been a Godsend it seems to me. Think of the paydays some "unknown" GMs have made from the World Cup, for example. Depending on the country you live in, you could receive a payday greater than the typical yearly salary, and only by winning two or three mini-matches. Say what you want about KI, but the guy does put his (er, someone's) money on the table.
        "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom O'Donnell View Post
          If someone can give a compelling argument why GK would be a better choice I am open-minded on the subject, but at least for 2600-2700 players KI has been a Godsend it seems to me. Think of the paydays some "unknown" GMs have made from the World Cup, for example. Depending on the country you live in, you could receive a payday greater than the typical yearly salary, and only by winning two or three mini-matches. Say what you want about KI, but the guy does put his (er, someone's) money on the table.
          Are you saying that World Cup won't pay that much if GK will seat as the President? That would be a myth!

Comment

Actually, I'm afraid that the opposite is true - it could be that KI's paydays are over. With the West's imposed sunctions (Canada included) Russia is already suffering financially and politically, and KI, being a person close to the inner circle of power in Russia, could himself be a subject to these sunctions. The sponsors of the Gelfand - Anand match in Moscow are already effected by these sunctions.Therefore the possibility of KI to finance and organize the tournaments in Russia are in the great doubts for now. For examle, the premier annual tournament Tal's Memorial held in Moscow, which I've visited several times, could be cancelled this year (apparently due to the luck of funds). Could it be that in this cituation KI could become a FIDE's liability?
            Last edited by Sasha Starr; Monday, 5th May, 2014, 11:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom O'Donnell View Post
              The GMs that I have spoken to have used this same argument.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Biong View Post
                Are you saying that World Cup won't pay that much if GK will seat as the President? That would be a myth!
                Do you understand what a myth is?

Comment

Hi, Tom! I would have agreed with your point of view, however in the present situation (see my other post) it could be as well in the interests of 2600-2700 players to get elected anybody but KI. Besides, it could push some of these 2600-2700 players to become 2700-2800 players! LOL!
                  Last edited by Sasha Starr; Monday, 5th May, 2014, 03:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Turkmenbashi
                    And what is the right thing to do?
                    That is always the question.

http://www.neatorama.com/2007/06/11/...nbashi/#!IPxxc
                    Last edited by Vlad Drkulec; Monday, 5th May, 2014, 10:25 AM.

Comment

The next thing is an Illumzhinovbashi! The father of all chessplayers)))

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
                        “In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing.”
                        - Theodore Roosevelt

From Kevin Spraggett's blog....

Looks like you are fond of reading Kevin Spraggett's blog. Could I suggest also this
                        : http://kevinspraggettonchess.wordpre...on-memorandum/
                        AGON

MEMORANDUM

Dear Kirsan Nikolaevich!

In accordance with your suggestion, we have prepared a model of our cooperation, for your consideration. We believe that this cooperation will be long-lasting and mutually beneficial, and will become a great success in the world of chess.

1. BUSINESS MODEL

Agon, in accordance with its contract with FIDE, (1) will become the seller of FIDE’s sponsor packages, and (2) will be responsible for marketing FIDE enterprises concerning the world championship, and (3) will organise the running of the world championship cycle events (the Grand Prix, candidates’ matches and world championship matches), including the payment of the prize fund and all expenses, in accordance with the contract with FIDE. Profits from these activities will be at the disposal of AGON and for distribution to its shareholders by way of dividends. The manager of the company will be Andrew Paulson.

Control of the board of shareholders (policy questions) – K N Illumzhinov

Control of the board of directors (the operational running of the company) – Andrew Paulson

2. FINANCIAL MODEL

For its first two years of operation, Agon will need up to 2 million dollars. This money should go to the organisation of the first cycle of events and the establishment of the chess brand. However, we consider that this initial investment sum will be reduced, to the extend that we are successful in attracting sponsors. We therefore suggest the following model:

Year one:

* KNI will advance credit to Agon in the sum of $2 million. The first payment ($500,000) will be made on 15 February 2012. The second payment ($1,500,000) will be made on 15 March 2012.

* The credit will be repayable, that is, before the payment of any dividends, the company is obliged to return the credit. Nobody may take any profits until all the credit has been returned to the investor. The investor is entitled to interest at a rate of LIBOR 1%.

* The investor has full legal control over the majority of the shares.

* Immediately upon receipt in Agon’s account, $500,000 of the second payment will be transferred to the account of FIDE, as a guarantee of the prize money for the agreed events. The guarantee may be returned to Agon, if agreed by Interface.

Year two:

* In the case of necessity, as agreed by the board of directors, K I Illumzhinov will advance to Agon a second tranche of credit, in the sum of $1 million, on the same terms as the first.

* The payment ($1,000,000) will take place on 15 March 2013.

* In the event that K I Illumzhinov’s side do not pay the amounts specified above, in accordance with the terms of this Memorandum, then K I Illumzhinov’s share in Agon will auomatically be reduced to 20%. The grace period for making payments is 10 business days.

3. THE OWNERSHIP MODEL

VOTING SHARES (control of the company)

51% – K I Illumzhinov
                        49% – Andrew Paulson

In addition, the company will also have non-voting shares (carrying entitlement to dividends). These shares will be issued in accordance with decisions of the shareholders and may be issued to selected key employees of the company. Non-voting shares may be issued proportionately with the main shares in the ratio 50:50.

The head of the project Andrew Paulson is required to work full-time in the company for the term of the operative contract with FIDE (11 years).

Additional control mechanisms, mutual rights and obligations of shareholders (minority and majority) will be included in a Shareholders Agreement, which will be presented on 27 January 2012.

Non-voting shares:

10% – Ilya Merenzon
                        5% – Berik Balgabaev

4. PAYMENTS AND COORDINATION WITH OTHER COMPANIES WITHIN FIDE’S AUSPICES

a) Global Chess is to be the contractor for running Agon’s events (Geoffrey Borg has confirmed his willingness and interest). Global Chess will receive about $15,000 for each event, from Agon’s budget, in accordance with the contract with FIDE.

b) Makropoulos will be consultant to Agon, receiving Euro 75,000 in the first year, and Euro 150,000 in each subsequent year of the FIDE contract. This payment will increase by 5% in each year after the second.

c) Berik Balgabaev will be consultant to Agon, receiving Euro 36,000 in the first year, and Euro 60,000 in each subsequent year of the FIDE contract. This payment will increase by 5% in each year after the second.

d) Andrew Paulson will be President (director) of Agon and his pay will be Euro 240,000 per annum. This payment will increase by 5% in each year, after the second.

We trust you will find this scheme acceptable. We are extremely interested in working with FIDE and have done a great deal of work to conclude agreements with key contractors. We are willing to discuss other possible variants, including an initial model, in which all financial risk would lie on our side.

with respect

Andrew Paulson

(Co-signed by Kirsan at bottom of page)

Comment

So Kirsan pays millions of dollars to Agon which then is supposed to pay various people in FIDE leadership what look like salaries and if it all works out Kirsan might (only under some fairly optimistic scenarios being played out) get his money back and prevents Agon from paying dividends until he gets his money back. Agon is then supposed to run various chess events in addition to paying these healthy salaries. In all appearances it looks like yet another scheme to spend Kirsan's money on chess and Paulson.

Now if only there was no Kasparov - Leong agreement with respect to delivering 11 votes, then Garry's group could claim the moral high ground. Unfortunately there is such an agreement and we have the leaders of both campaigns being involved in questionable and no longer secret agreements with documents leaked by sources using nefarious means.

If you want to be seen as a reformer you have to show by your actions or your history that you are not acting in a manner that are similar to those who you wish to replace. I realize that some compromises are required.

“The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.”
                          ― George Orwell, Animal Farm

Comment

I would like to see a third candidate.

Bob Armstrong 2014 :)

Comment

There are also GM's with the different views, please see this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6UtU78pAgc

Comment

Working...
                              X