Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: FIDE Election for President

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
    So Kirsan pays millions of dollars to Agon which then is supposed to pay various people in FIDE leadership what look like salaries and if it all works out Kirsan might (only under some fairly optimistic scenarios being played out) get his money back and prevents Agon from paying dividends until he gets his money back. Agon is then supposed to run various chess events in addition to paying these healthy salaries. In all appearances it looks like yet another scheme to spend Kirsan's money on chess and Paulson.

Now if only there was no Kasparov - Leong agreement with respect to delivering 11 votes, then Garry's group could claim the moral high ground. Unfortunately there is such an agreement and we have the leaders of both campaigns being involved in questionable and no longer secret agreements with documents leaked by sources using nefarious means.

If you want to be seen as a reformer you have to show by your actions or your history that you are not acting in a manner that are similar to those who you wish to replace. I realize that some compromises are required.

“The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.”
    ― George Orwell, Animal Farm
    It should be noted that there was a reply from Kasparov's lawyers about Leong's agreement, but no explanation from anybody about Agon's affair, all we know that no money were paid to FIDE and Poulson was fired recently as a President of the British Chess Federation.
    Nobody's perfect, however at the end of the day Canada will have to cast its vote. I've noticed that the view poll is open already for the second day, and no single vote for Kirsan so far.
    There are some people who would like to see a third candidate. But how to find a person with the great achievements, having done no wrongs along the way AND an access to substantial financial resources! Is it possible? Only the time will tell, however it could be that if Kasparov loses he could decide not to run ever again because its time, energy consuming and very expensive undertaking, and in this case we'll have Kirsan for many, many more years to come...
    In my opinion, not only Canada should vote for Gary, but endorse his ticket. If not - Canada's vote will be one of about 200 votes and will not be of any significance whatsoever!
    Last edited by Sasha Starr; Tuesday, 6th May, 2014, 02:14 PM.

Comment

Do you understand what a myth is?
      Like a myth that there is a cure for balding or hair loss.

Comment

Originally posted by Sasha Starr View Post
        There are also GM's with the different views, please see this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6UtU78pAgc
        Nigel Short is an effective spokesman for the Kasparov campaign.

Comment

Nigel Short is an effective spokesman for the Kasparov campaign.
          I'm also thinking about how Kirsan's almost 20 years' record of being the FIDE's President affecting a marketing of chess. Almost all his matches, Olympiads were held in obscure locations, such as Iran, Kalmykia in Russia, etc. Now with Russia and its organizers effected by sunctions, Kadaffi is in the better World, what's next? Krimea, North Korea? Its time for the West to wrestle the FIDE from its 20 years ownership by 1 person and make it a real World class organization. And if Kirsan really loves chess and Kasparov will not deliver, than older and wiser Kirsan will take it over again!

Comment

It should be noted that there was a reply from Kasparov's lawyers about Leong's agreement, but no explanation from anybody about Agon's affair, all we know that no money were paid to FIDE and Poulson was fired recently as a President of the British Chess Federation.
            Yes there was a scripted reply from his lawyer. Anyone who catches the talking heads on CNN and elsewhere know about the admonitions against taking the stand in your own defense. Only this is not a trial. If you need an lawyer to answer for your actions this is already moving along the wrong path. The significance of the Leong agreement is that it gives the appearance of votes being bought and immediately ends any speculation that we are going to see something different.

Nobody's perfect, however at the end of the day Canada will have to cast its vote. I've noticed that the view poll is open already for the second day, and no single vote for Kirsan so far.
            True.

There are some people who would like to see a third candidate. But how to find a person with the great achievements, having done no wrongs along the way AND an access to substantial financial resources! Is it possible? Only the time will tell, however it could be that if Kasparov loses he could decide not to run ever again because its time, energy consuming and very expensive undertaking, and in this case we'll have Kirsan for many, many more years to come...
            In my opinion, not only Canada should vote for Gary, but endorse his ticket.
            Your demands are more modest than at least one of the lobbyists loyal to Gary who has approached us though you are demanding a level of commitment which is not there yet.

If not - Canada's vote will be one of about 200 votes and will not be of any significance whatsoever!
            If our vote is not of any significance whatsoever then why this high profile campaign to influence it?

Comment

I'm also thinking about how Kirsan's almost 20 years' record of being the FIDE's President affecting a marketing of chess. Almost all his matches, Olympiads were held in obscure locations, such as Iran, Kalmykia in Russia, etc. Now with Russia and its organizers effected by sunctions, Kadaffi is in the better World, what's next? Krimea, North Korea? Its time for the West to wrestle the FIDE from its 20 years ownership by 1 person and make it a real World class organization. And if Kirsan really loves chess and Kasparov will not deliver, than older and wiser Kirsan will take it over again!
              I have also wondered at the locations of some of the youth events. The problem is that you are confusing decisions made by the president with decisions made by the delegates. I don't see how a change at the top will change these odd locations for FIDE events as long as the method for making these decisions remains the same.

Comment

The significance of the Leong agreement is that it gives the appearance of votes being bought and immediately ends any speculation that we are going to see something different.

Your demands are more modest than at least one of the lobbyists loyal to Gary who has approached us though you are demanding a level of commitment which is not there yet.
                How much has he offered? Would it be enough to send teams to Olympiad business class? LOL

Comment

If our vote is not of any significance whatsoever then why this high profile campaign to influence it?[/QUOTE]
                  It appears to me that the issue is really not our vote at the election, but our endorsement of Gary's ticket. At the election itself it does not matter so much how Canada will vote, as I've said, it will be just one of almost 200 votes. Canada's opportunity to make its voice loud and clear is to endorse Gary's ticket, other then that Canada might as well vote for Illumzhinov. What a joke!

Comment

Cooperative Chess Coalition (CCC): FIDE Presidential Endorsement

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
                    I would like to see a third candidate.

Bob Armstrong 2014 :)
                    Hi Bob G:

Geez - how did you know? But the Cooperative Chess Coalition is endorsing Garry for 2014 - statement coming later in the week.

So if CCC is going to nominate me, it will have to be for next time - guess I'd better start charging for Toronto Chess News (TCN) if I am going to start amassing the millions needed to run a world-wide election campaign!!:D

Bob A

Comment

Yes there was a scripted reply from his lawyer. Anyone who catches the talking heads on CNN and elsewhere know about the admonitions against taking the stand in your own defense. Only this is not a trial. If you need an lawyer to answer for your actions this is already moving along the wrong path. The significance of the Leong agreement is that it gives the appearance of votes being bought and immediately ends any speculation that we are going to see something different.

True.

If our vote is not of any significance whatsoever then why this high profile campaign to influence it?
                      1.Lets be realistic: nobody is perfect, and Gary is not an exception. What worries me is that you are implying certain things that Gary did or didn't do, in spite of the fact that his lawyers provided a "scripted reply". Obviously you are not satisfied and continue to dig into it further and further. On the other hand you have no comments about obvious shortcomings of Kirsan, in the abcense of any letters from his lawyers, btw. It creates an appearance that you are perhaps biased to deliver CFC's vote for Kirsan. Isn't it true?
                      2.I have no demands whatsoever.
                      3.All I can say that I've met Gary for the first time in 1988 during the Olympiad in Thessaloniki, Greece, while accompanying there my wife, Nava Starr. Later on we've participated in the organization of the Gary's fundraiser in Toronto, and also met him a few more times during a few chess tournaments and social events. Haven't talked to him for the last few years. He striked me as an exceptionately multytalanted individual, with a lot of energy, charisma, and I believe that he could be a great asset with his rich life experience.
                      4.Canada's vote is not significant at all - only endorsement has a value. Other then that it will be just 1 of almost 200 votes.

Last edited by Sasha Starr; Wednesday, 7th May, 2014, 12:15 AM.

Comment

"I realize that some compromises are required".
                        Please explain.

Comment

[QUOTE=Vlad Drkulec;80093]So Kirsan pays millions of dollars to Agon which then is supposed to pay various people in FIDE leadership what look like salaries and if it all works out Kirsan might (only under some fairly optimistic scenarios being played out) get his money back and prevents Agon from paying dividends until he gets his money back. Agon is then supposed to run various chess events in addition to paying these healthy salaries. In all appearances it looks like yet another scheme to spend Kirsan's money on chess and Paulson.

Now if only there was no Kasparov - Leong agreement with respect to delivering 11 votes, then Garry's group could claim the moral high ground. Unfortunately there is such an agreement and we have the leaders of both campaigns being involved in questionable and no longer secret agreements with documents leaked by sources using nefarious means.

..."I realize that some compromises are required". I believe we need to understand what it means. PLEASE EXPLAIN!
                          Last edited by Sasha Starr; Tuesday, 6th May, 2014, 08:04 PM.

Comment

Endorsemeent over Vote: FIDE Election for President

1.Lets be realistic: nobody is perfect, and Gary is not an exception. What worries me is that you are implying certain things that Gary did or didn't do, in spite of the fact that his lawyers provided a "scripted reply". Obviously you are not satisfied and continue to dig into it further and further. On the other hand you have no comments about obvious shortcomings of Kirsan, in the abcense of any letters from his lawyers, by btw. It creates an appearance that you are perhaps biased to deliver CFC's vote for Kirsan?
                            2.I have no demands whatsoever.
                            3.All I can say that I've met Gary for the first time in 1988 during the Olympiad in Thessaloniki, Greece, while accompanying there my wife, Nava Starr. Later on we've participated in the organization of the Gary's fundraiser in Toronto, and also met a few more times during chess tournaments and social events. Haven't talked to him for the last few years. He striked me as an exceptionately multytalanted individual, with a lot of energy, charisma, and I believe that he could be a great asset with his rich life experience.
                            4.Canada's vote is not significant at all - only endorsement has a value. Other then that it will be just 1 of almost 200 votes.

The Cooperative Chess Coalition (CCC) agrees totally with Sasha on the importance of "endorsement" over "vote". It has endorsed Garry Kasparov. It has already so notified the CFC Governors on the confidential CFC Governors' Discussion Board (I, as CFC Lameduck Governor, GTCL, agreed to post the CCC lobby there for them).

Now it is in the process of preparing a Press Release to this effect. We are an insignificant international chess organization - but we do have a "CCC Network" numbering over 3,000 chess players world-wide. They can lobby their national federations with our endorsement. That is the value of an endorsement - the influence it has on other federations. Canada has a good chess reputation. Other federations will be interested in Canada's position. They will not know it if Canada only "votes".

CCC will be lobbying the CFC Governors (it has numbers of Canadians in its Network) to take a stand early, so the Candidate can use it in their campaign. If you want somebody elected, you help them, no??

Bob Armstrong, CCC Coordinator.

Comment

Right now the ratio is 10 -0 =4 in favor of Kasparov. Sure, my post couldn't change it dramatically, but still I want to express my opinion.

While I greatly appreciate Kasparov as a chess player and respect him as a Russian anti-Putin politician, I absolutely don't want to see him as a future FIDE president. I'll try to explain the reasons.

1. In 1993 Garry completely demolished whole championship circle, playing match with Short out of FIDE-zone. He made a great damage to FIDE and for himself for relatively small amount of money.

2. In 1999-2000 in his own championship circle he ignored the rights of the legal contender (Shirov) and played match with Kramnik (who lost to Shirov) instead. You want this person, well-known for his voluntarism, to be a FIDE president?

3. Only after he retired, FIDE could gradually normalize the championship circle. Now we all know the name of World Champion and have pretty decent championship circle (sure, some improvement could be done).

4. Kasparov was a great winner over the board. Twice he beat very strong opponent in decisive last game of championship match. The same time Garry lost almost every possible fight in chess politics. Person who had his support lost FIDE election every time. Karpov lost it 4 years ago. Kampomanes lost to Illumzhinov (it was the only time Kasparov supported Kampomanes).

Now a few words about Illumzhinov. This person is really strange (aliens...). But he spend a lot, really a lot money on chess in last 20 years. It was his own money. And honestly, I don't care what was the source of his money. Like NBA doesn't care about Prokhorov (Brooklin Nets owner) money and English soccer league doesn't care about Abramovich (Chelsea's owner) money.

Few months ago I estimated Kasparov's chances to be elected as very, very low. Now, after Russian aggression in Ukraine and growing political and economical isolation, Garry has more chances. In my opinion, he is still an underdog (it's not the reason not to support him, of course).

Comment

Originally posted by Victor Plotkin View Post
                                Right now the ratio is 10 -0 =4 in favor of Kasparov. Sure, my post couldn't change it dramatically, but still I want to express my opinion.

While I greatly appreciate Kasparov as a chess player and respect him as a Russian anti-Putin politician, I absolutely don't want to see him as a future FIDE president. I'll try to explain the reasons.

1. In 1993 Garry completely demolished whole championship circle, playing match with Short out of FIDE-zone. He made a great damage to FIDE and for himself for relatively small amount of money.
                                Hi Victor:

I'll just add a footnote to your points: many years later, having reviewed the turmoil cause by his split from FIDE, he admitted in an interview, that he considered that decision one of the worst chess decisions he ever made. But your point is still valid, that at the time he did make it.

Bob A

Comment

Working...
                                X