Rated Forfeits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rated Forfeits

Thanks to Dave Southam and Marcus Wilker, I learned something new yesterday. I had assumed that when I send tournament results to the CFC electronically (in Swiss Sys format) that forfeited games were rated by the CFC. I believed this until about a day ago when Dave, through a post on FB, informed me otherwise. Marcus provided reference to rule 433 in the CFC handbook that forfeits are not normally rated. The rule states: "Games marked F or D (for Forfeit or Default) will not be rated (rule 418) unless they are also marked R (for Rated)."

I'm not very happy about this. Swiss Sys does not provide the option of specifying a forfeit loss as rated or not rated. It is simply a forfeit. So how do I indicate that forfeiting players should lose rating points. The threat of losing rating points was one of the few points of pressure that we can apply to individuals who choose not to do the courteous things and let us know on a particular evening that they aren't going to play.

I suspect this rule is a throwback to when results were submitted to the CFC on scraps of paper. I suspect that now almost no one submits on paper so how do we make sure that forfeiting players pay for their lack of consideration by losing a few rating points?

Re: Rated Forfeits

I am dismayed to hear this and I will look into it
    Paul Leblanc
    Treasurer Chess Foundation of Canada

Comment

I've always thought that rating forfeits where no moves were played was kinda silly and not really a good effect on the rating system.
      Christopher Mallon
      FIDE Arbiter

Comment

I'm going to play devil's advocate and say that forfeits should be rated. Imagine you see that you're playing a very underrated opponent in the next round. You both are out of the prize money, so the only thing at stake is your rating. In this situation, if rating is your main motivator, you have a strong incentive to forfeit the round.

Comment

Rating is supposed to be a measure of playing strength, not a measure of how often you show up for your games. There are other (rarely/never used) methods to punish players for not showing up for their game.
          Christopher Mallon
          FIDE Arbiter

Comment

When a player doesn't show up for a game and his opponent does, the first player is not only wasting the second player's time, he's depriving him of a game that he paid for with his entry fee.
            I think rating the game is a partial way to both compensate the second person and punish the first.

Comment

Originally posted by John Upper View Post
              When a player doesn't show up for a game and his opponent does, the first player is not only wasting the second player's time, he's depriving him of a game that he paid for with his entry fee.
              I think rating the game is a partial way to both compensate the second person and punish the first.
              I couldn't agree with you more, John.

Comment

Any forfeited game (where the opponent fails to show up for the round) counts for rating under the regulations of the CFC rating system.

If I was submitting an event for rating the game would show on the submitted cross-table as any other played game would.

It is up to the person submitting the rating report to ensure that these sort of forfeited games are rated.

I suppose a legitimate unrated "forfeit" would be in the case of a player withdrawing from a round-robin event.

Comment

Maybe I'm misreading things. Let me take an example at random. In the 2014 SCC Winter Swiss in round 2, Richard Feng forfeited against Yasir Alganabi. In the results printed out from Swiss Sys, you see that Yasir got 1 point and Richard 0:

http://www.scarboroughchessclub.ca/P...2014_U1600.pdf

However, when I check Yasir's info on the CFC website, he does get 1 point but nowhere is it indicated that he defeated Richard.

14 Alganabi, Yasir 1172 1047 1167 1361 0 0 -8 -0 -0 -0 2.0

His first round was a TD's bye so the 0 makes sense. But the 0 for round 2 is perplexing. The similar info for Richard is:

11 Feng, Richard 1501 1341 1474 1534 5 -0 -0 -7 -10 15 2.0

So he lost but to no one and now I am totally perplexed. To my mind, Feng should have lost rating points and Alganabi should have gained points.

I have been telling players that they will lose rating points and that has helped to ensure that players let us know if they need a bye. For young, improving players, losing rating points for something so stupid as not calling or emailing to tell us they won't be playing seems to get their attention and they tend to be pretty good especially after losing (or perhaps thinking they are losing) rating points. If they are not going to be penalized, they may not be so diligent.

Incidentally, some players don't care about rating points, so this year at the Scarborough Chess Club we have a new rule: forfeit a game and you get a one game suspension.

The combination of losing rating points and being blocked from playing has motivated players who otherwise were tending to be forgetful about calling us to be diligent. I should emphasize that only a small number of players at the SCC were causing problems with forfeits (Richard wasn't one of the habitual ones) but now the situation is quite improved.

I definitely would not like to see a situation where players can forfeit with impunity.

When someone withdraws from a tournament, that is entirely another matter. They simply show up as unpaired for the rounds that they do not play and there is no impact on their rating. And sometimes something happens (like a car accident) and can't call us. Obviously in those situations we don't impose a forfeit loss.

Comment

John, I agree totally. It doesn't really make up for a wasted evening but it is something.

Comment

Thank you to Michael Von Keitz, Mark Dutton and Stephen Wright for their advice on this matter.

Allow me to quote Stephen Wright:

I believe that might be an oversight by Thad Suits - SwissSys is a U.S. program and its defaults reflect U.S. rules. As far as I can tell they don't rate forfeits in the U.S. (see http://www.chess.com/forum/view/gene...-rule-for-uscf), and this default appears to have been included for the CFC rating reports. Given that the crosstables on the CFC website don't have the capacity to indicate whether a game was won by forfeit or not, it appears the only way to currently have such a game rated is to not indicate the forfeit inidication, just the normal result.

I will see about amending Article 433 to make this more clear but I have to agree that this is a pitfall for inexperienced TDs.
                      Paul Leblanc
                      Treasurer Chess Foundation of Canada

Comment

It would be nice if the CFC could ask Thad Suits to allow forfeit losses as showing up as losses if, for instance, a option in the program is selected. Recording forfeits by players helps me keep track of habitual re-offenders. Also when a result is entered as a forfeit, the software asks you if you want to withdraw the player. In a better world (where I wasn't pressed by the need to make a living), I would keep accurate notes on who is forfeiting and when. Marking down a forfeit as a forfeit keeps things simply and minimizes the chances that I'll neglect to deal with the offending player. When you're dealing with over 100 players every week, anything that makes the life of the TD easier is a good thing in my books.

Comment

Originally posted by Christopher Mallon View Post
                          Rating is supposed to be a measure of playing strength, not a measure of how often you show up for your games. There are other (rarely/never used) methods to punish players for not showing up for their game.
                          Absolutely. If you want to penalize someone then fine them $20 and give that money to the offended party (the opponent). Rating points are neither reward nor punishment.
                          "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom O'Donnell View Post
                            Absolutely. If you want to penalize someone then fine them $20 and give that money to the offended party (the opponent). Rating points are neither reward nor punishment.
                            This reminds me of the debate about whether students can lose marks for lack of participation, late or missing assignments, etc.

Regardless of your position on that, it does seem strange that CFC Handbook seems to suggest forfeits are to be rated, but as a matter of fact usually doesn't rate them.

To be consistent, CFC should side with FIDE and say that forfeits are not to be rated and then (continue to) not rate them, or (continue to) say that forfeits are to be rated and then update the reporting and rating mechanism so this actually happens.
                            Marcus Wilker
                            Annex Chess Club
                            Toronto, Ontario

Comment

Originally posted by Tom O'Donnell View Post
                              Good luck collecting that $20. And the next time you see the offender, it could be in a different tournament, different organizer so you need to put resources into maintaining an up to date and public blacklist. Rating points on the other hand are a penalty the CFC can enforce cheaply.

Comment

Working...
                              X