Olympiad in Doubt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Olympiad in Doubt?

I hear rumours that the Olympiad may be cancelled. Any solid info?

Re: Olympiad in Doubt?

Originally posted by Gordon Ritchie View Post
    Some reading at http://www.chess.com/news/troms-olym...n-trouble-3259
    Probably you would find more in Norwegian papers.

Comment

The official website just announced:

Magnus Carlsen heads Norwegian Olympiad teams

The Norwegian Chess Federation has announced the four teams that will represent Norway at the 2014 Chess Olympiad in Tromsø. The top team, which features World Champion Magnus Carlsen on first board backed up by four more grandmasters, was described by the chairman of the selection committee as “the best Norwegian national team in history”.

Comment

Having read the news item as linked above, I see that Norway should simply refuse the World Cup portion of the package imposed on them by FIDE.
        It would then be up to FIDE if they want to withdraw their sanction of Norway staging the Olympiad. Not bloody likely! FIDE skims a hefty percentage fee for that event. Not only would they lose those funds but such an eventuality would ruin any credibility they and K I have left.
        Go for it, Norway! Cancel the World Cup!

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Dobrich View Post
          Having read the news item as linked above, I see that Norway should simply refuse the World Cup portion of the package imposed on them by FIDE.
          It would then be up to FIDE if they want to withdraw their sanction of Norway staging the Olympiad. Not bloody likely! FIDE skims a hefty percentage fee for that event. Not only would they lose those funds but such an eventuality would ruin any credibility they and K I have left.
          Go for it, Norway! Cancel the World Cup!
          The World Cup was held last August in Tromso.

Comment

The World Cup was held last August in Tromso.
            Oops. Late again.

Comment

I heard those rumours too but they don't seem to be substantiated. More FUD I am afraid.

Comment

I think there is alot of positioning here and will play out in the long term. I dont think the event will be jeopardized by that kind of funding shortage. (what is it? roughly 10%??)

Comment

FIDE News Release

Tromso Olympiad Meeting

Thursday, 22 May 2014

FIDE Treasurer and Executive Director, Nigel Freeman and FIDE Vice President, Israel Gelfer have spent the last two days meeting with the Tromso Organising Committee, where they discussed all outstanding matters.

The financial situation was discussed and they were advised that they would receive a final answer in the next two - three weeks, which is expected to be of a positive nature.

Cancelling the Olympiad would severely damage the reputation of both the city and the country, particularly bearing in mind that they may be a candidate for holding the Winter Olympics in 2022.

It was agreed that Mr. Freeman would have another meeting with the Organisers in Tromso in a few weeks to finalise all outstanding matters.

Comment

I like Hans' take on this. The Istanbul Olympiad was dealt a much stiffer budget blow (closer to 50%!) and the show went on. I have asked our teams to continue with their ticket purchases. Worst case might include some kind of head tax, which as already been proposed and rejected by FIDE.

Comment

How is our team being funded? There doesn't seem to be the usual crisis fund raising effort.
                      Paul Leblanc
                      Treasurer Chess Foundation of Canada

Comment

Re : Re: Olympiad in Doubt?

Originally posted by Paul Leblanc View Post
                        How is our team being funded? There doesn't seem to be the usual crisis fund raising effort.
                        Guess who made it to Tromso!?

http://www.fide.com/component/conten...-arbiters.html

(Ticket funded by Vlad Dobrich, no doubt, lol!)

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Leblanc View Post
                          The same as always. Olympiad fundraisers, donations and the FQE-CFC deal has provisions for funding FIDE expenses. We have been holding the line on expenditures anticipating having to pay for any Olympiad shortfall. We should be figuring out what our financials are shortly and then if warranted we can go into our usual panic mode fund raising effort.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
                            The same as always. Olympiad fundraisers, donations and the FQE-CFC deal has provisions for funding FIDE expenses. We have been holding the line on expenditures anticipating having to pay for any Olympiad shortfall. We should be figuring out what our financials are shortly and then if warranted we can go into our usual panic mode fund raising effort.

Would that include calls / apologies to Sid Belzberg?
                            Only the rushing is heard...
                            Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
                              A little more about "funding FIDE expenses":
                              The national federations will prosper as FIDE prospers. FIDE should provide for its members instead of being supported by them.
                              Reduce membership fees by 50% immediately.
                              25% reduction per year of all other fees.

Guess where is it coming from?

Comment

Working...
                              X