Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SportsNet Magazine

Hi guys,

If you check out http://www.sportsnet.ca/magazine/ you will find see a photo of the new issue released May 15 which includes a big story on me. Sportsnet flew to Iceland with me behind the scenes to get a detailed perspective on chess and my career. The quote on the bottom right of the front page is mine. I would appreciate any input on what people think of it! I'm hoping its good and can help my pursuit for sponsorship. I think you can find this magazine in almost all major stores
    Last edited by Eric Hansen; Thursday, 15th May, 2014, 02:31 PM.

Re: SportsNet Magazine

That's awesome, Eric!
    Marcus Wilker
    Annex Chess Club
    Toronto, Ontario

Comment

Is there a link to the article, or do you have to subscribe?

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
        Is there a link to the article, or do you have to subscribe?
        Story came out today in print and will be up online a week or two after that I've been told

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Hansen View Post
          Hi guys,

If you check out http://www.sportsnet.ca/magazine/ you will find see a photo of the new issue released May 15 which includes a big story on me. Sportsnet flew to Iceland with me behind the scenes to get a detailed perspective on chess and my career. The quote on the bottom right of the front page is mine. I would appreciate any input on what people think of it! I'm hoping its good and can help my pursuit for sponsorship. I think you can find this magazine in almost all major stores
          SPORTSNET Magazine is also provided free to ROGERS' SUPER SPORTS Package subscribers on cable (~$36/mo. plus taxes). One can have it either paper in the mail OR electronic, the last I heard.

Comment

Thats definitely a classy high profile approach, just eventually do more of it Eric! Will it get sponsorship? - its great positioning. Another hint - on your website keeping posting lots of little tidbits (newsbites) (or find someone to do it with your overview) stuff that only takes a minute but pertinent chess news or position analysis (puzzle) but many on very regular basis. Then find 500 (or more) very loyal fans who keep constantly coming to your site. (you need web presence)

Comment

Anyone see the article? I'm off to Baton Rouge, Louisiana tomorrow so I'll pick it up at the airport.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Shaw View Post
                Anyone see the article? I'm off to Baton Rouge, Louisiana tomorrow so I'll pick it up at the airport.
                I bought a copy and brought it in to the RA CC on Thursday for people to look at.

Pro:
                - good attempt to humanize chess by describing a young player in a way that will make him identifiable to their readership: young, male, sports-oriented. e.g. includes info about: bars, women, living out of a suitcase, relationship with dad.
                - a very short comment by Naiditsch from his very short post-mortem with Eric... not found in the Chess Canada or New in Chess reports on this game.

Con:
                the kind of mistakes about chess that you'd expect from a non-chess reporter writing for a non-chess audience. Some sensitive chess players will get irate about this.

Comment

Finally got to read it. I like some parts a lot and some not so much. Certain elements are definitely a bit exaggerated about my tournament conduct and life in general but I guess it purposely gives off the vibe of a boxer with nothing to lose . On the other hand it makes for a more interesting read for the non chess audience. Don't think chess players or my parents will like it as much ;)

I wonder if any publicity is good publicity and this will help me in the long run LOL

Comment

Originally posted by John Upper View Post
                    I bought a copy and brought it in to the RA CC on Thursday for people to look at.

Pro:
                    - good attempt to humanize chess by describing a young player in a way that will make him identifiable to their readership: young, male, sports-oriented. e.g. includes info about: bars, women, living out of a suitcase, relationship with dad.
                    - a very short comment by Naiditsch from his very short post-mortem with Eric... not found in the Chess Canada or New in Chess reports on this game.

Con:
                    the kind of mistakes about chess that you'd expect from a non-chess reporter writing for a non-chess audience. Some sensitive chess players will get irate about this.
                    Hi John,
                    If you have the time and inclination,
                    you might take the mag to a print shop and get it scanned, then post here (it's how we got the Larsen interview on ChessTalk) then we could all see the item.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Dobrich View Post
                      Hi John,
                      If you have the time and inclination,
                      you might take the mag to a print shop and get it scanned, then post here (it's how we got the Larsen interview on ChessTalk) then we could all see the item.
                      Or you can not be cheap and buy an actual copy to support chess... There is a reason that chess is lacking sponsorship... Chess players are one of the "cheapest" people in the world...

Comment

Or you can not be cheap and buy an actual copy to support chess... There is a reason that chess is lacking sponsorship... Chess players are one of the "cheapest" people in the world...
                        I don't even...

Congrats Eric.
                        i rep back 3+

Comment

For those cheap chess players, here is the article: http://www.sportsnet.ca/more/rook-star/

There seems to be a video posted if you scroll down a bit.

An interesting article every time I read it.

Comment

A nice write up though a little off on the chess. Congrats Eric, you're famous in Canada beyond the chess public! I hope it gets you some sponsor dollars.

Comment

SportsNet Magazine

The Brits have discovered that issue of SportsNet Magazine that came out in May of 2014 with the article on Eric Hansen:

http://www.ecforum.org.uk/viewtopic....152771#p152771

Comment

Working...
                              X