Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GM's Shirov, Adams, Nakamura join Canadian Open in Edmonton

http://www.edchess.ca

July 11-19th in Edmonton. I'm still working on the website for hotel accomodations. Should be finished in a day or two.

I'll keep the players list on the website updated every few days. Hope to see you in Edmonton!

Registered players so far:

GM Shirov Alexei 2748
    GM Adams Michael 2712
    GM Nakamura Hikaru 2699
    GM Smirin Ilya 2647
    GM Mikhalevski Victor 2616
    GM Ganguly Surya 2614
    GM Bluvshtein Mark 2568
    GM Kovalyov Anton 2557
    IM Krush Irina 2457
    Pechenkin Vladimir 2321
    MacKinnon Keith 2250
    Hughey Micah 2179
    Purewal Sardul 2081
    Manley Jason 2038
    Seehagen Terry 1727
    Purewal Pal 1631

Re: GM's Shirov, Adams, Nakamura join Canadian Open in Edmonton

VERY WELL DONE, EDMONTON!!!

As I've made known elsewhere, we do not need to spend tens of thousands of $ to send juniors to Europe to gain international norms and experience.
    Organize good quality tournaments here, and THEY WILL COME!
    Congrats to the Edmonton organizers!

Comment

Bravo Micah, keep that on!
      :)

Comment

Originally posted by Micah Hughey View Post
        http://www.edchess.ca

July 11-19th in Edmonton. I'm still working on the website for hotel accomodations. Should be finished in a day or two.

I'll keep the players list on the website updated every few days. Hope to see you in Edmonton!

Registered players so far:

GM Shirov Alexei 2748
        GM Adams Michael 2712
        GM Nakamura Hikaru 2699
        GM Smirin Ilya 2647
        GM Mikhalevski Victor 2616
        GM Ganguly Surya 2614
        GM Bluvshtein Mark 2568
        GM Kovalyov Anton 2557
        IM Krush Irina 2457
        Pechenkin Vladimir 2321
        MacKinnon Keith 2250
        Hughey Micah 2179
        Purewal Sardul 2081
        Manley Jason 2038
        Seehagen Terry 1727
        Purewal Pal 1631
        I sent Susan Polgar a note about these pre-registered players and she put a notice of it on her Blog...

here: http://susanpolgar.blogspot.com/2009...dian-open.html

I hope that helps drive more participation your way!
        Great job!

Kerry Liles
        Last edited by Kerry Liles; Wednesday, 18th March, 2009, 12:15 AM. Reason: added link
        ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Please send details to TWIC
          http://www.chesscenter.com/twic/twic.html
          or try to find the similar crowded forum in UK. I hope there are some Adams fans :)

Comment

Thanks Kerry! I always appreciate help in promoting the tournament.

Comment

Good idea Egidijus. I will do that.

Comment

Great stuff! Already promises to be a roaring success.
                Have you been in touch with the Association of Chess Professionals. They organize a tour of very high quality events. When we ran the Open in Ottawa in 2007, they were surprised by the top level players who participated (22 GMs as I recall) and asked us to be included in the tour---at no cost to us. The announcement was very well received by the titled players (big ovation, etc.). If you were to make the same arrangement---and by all indications you are heading for a level that would qualify---you might find it helped to snowball involvement by more top players to give the locals (Canadians) some real competition.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Dobrich View Post
                  VERY WELL DONE, EDMONTON!!!

As I've made known elsewhere, we do not need to spend tens of thousands of $ to send juniors to Europe to gain international norms ...
                  Norms? It's early to say, because we won't know the, ah, demographics of the field until July, but unaccelerated one-section swisses do not normally produce norms. Unless a player performs like a rocket, he gets too many FIDE-unrated or low-rated opponents.

Of course, it's great that Edmonton will have (at least) three world-class players and (at least) three more who are darned close to world-class.

Comment

No Accelerated Pairings at Canadian Open in Edmonton

Hi Jonathan:

I think norm-hunting in major Canadian tournaments is very important to up-and-coming Canadian players. But I was at the 2008 July Montreal AGM when Edmonton submitted their bid. Someone asked Micah, since it was a one section swiss, whether accelerated pairings would be used, exactly for the purpose you stated, to increase norm chances. I have noted that Micah answered :

No; the FIDE norm aspect was not that important to them.

I think some significant pressure would have to be brought to bear on the organizers to use accelerated pairings, if we want better norm chances.

Bob

P.S. I'm trying to make arrangements to go - my norm chances are not that great !!! LOL

Comment

Re: No Accelerated Pairings at Canadian Open in Edmonton

Note that in the 2005 Canadian Open in Edmonton there were multiple norms, both GM and IM, and we used the same Open Swiss format as we are using this year.

As Jonathan said, if someone plays like a rocket, they will get a norm. And a well deserved one at that!

Yes, you can manipulate the pairings (accelerated, Scheveningen, etc) to artificially increase norm chances. But that's not really the point of an Open tournament, in my opinion.
                      In Edmonton this year, EVERYONE will have a shot at the Super GM's. And if you play like a GM, you will indeed get a GM norm.

Micah

Comment

Also, please note that Edmonton did spend a lot of money to provide norm opportunities for Canadians at the Edmonton International in 2006, 2007, 2008 (and we will again in December 2009).

This is an annual Closed tournament run by my friend (and co-Organizer) Vlad Rekhson.

http://www.chess.ca/xtableSQL.asp?TNum=200808014

http://www.chess.ca/xtableSQL.asp?TNum=200706221

http://www.chess.ca/xtableSQL.asp?TNum=200605029

Comment

Gordon,
                          That is also a good idea. One of the other organizers of the Canadian Open 2009, Vlad Rekhson, has gotten tournaments listed on the ACP Tour before. I'll ask him if he can get this one listed as well.

Thanks,
                          Micah

Comment

Note that in the 2005 Canadian Open in Edmonton there were multiple norms, both GM and IM, and we used the same Open Swiss format as we are using this year.

As Jonathan said, if someone plays like a rocket, they will get a norm. And a well deserved one at that!

Yes, you can manipulate the pairings (accelerated, Scheveningen, etc) to artificially increase norm chances. But that's not really the point of an Open tournament, in my opinion.
                            In Edmonton this year, EVERYONE will have a shot at the Super GM's. And if you play like a GM, you will indeed get a GM norm.

Micah
                            I strongly agree with Micah here. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the last Canadian Open divided into sections??

Either way, this makes no sense to me since "Open" seems to indicate inclusiveness. If it is a sectional or round robin tournament, call it that. I'm not saying that one tournament format is better then another, but opens appeal to me for just the reason that Micah specifies, the lower rated players get to sit amongst the higher rated players, and it's a very valuable learning experience for them.

Of course, some of the higher rated players may not like this, but you know what, they're being paid for their troubles, and those who aren't will enter for the chance to play the top dogs. I unfortunately missed the last Canadian Open in Edmonton In 2005, but I did play in the previous one (2001?), and it was a great experience.

Comment

And if you play like a GM, you will indeed get a GM norm.

Micah
                              Nihil obstat.

Comment

Working...
                              X