X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: No Accelerated Pairings at Canadian Open in Edmonton

Originally posted by Jonathan Berry View Post
    Nihil obstat.
    Yep. I had expressed concern before registering that it might be hard to get a norm. I was then reassured by the organizing committee that if I started off well(beat the lower rated), that norms would indeed be possible ( with reference to norms scored in Edmonton, 2005). Well, after going 3/3 I was told that norms were impossible. I wouldn't of played the tournament had I known this was the case. I was pretty disappointed and lost some motivation from then on( not blaming my losses on this though). I certainly won't be playing in Edmonton for a long time.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Hansen View Post
      Well, after going 3/3 I was told that norms were impossible
      reasons? (i am too lazy to go through your opponents...)

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
        reasons? (i am too lazy to go through your opponents...)
        I'm lazy, too. If both Bob Armstrong and Brad Willis are FIDE-unrated, that would be the end right there, after two wins. AFAIR, you need 8 FIDE-rated opponents. 9-2 = 7.

After Micah pointed out that two norms had been made in 2005, I apologized in the Globe column, but all the time I overlooked that the event for 2009 had been shrunk from 10 to 9 rounds! The ground may have moved between 2003 and 2009 so that norms are possible in your old-fashioned one-section unaccelerated Open Swiss of 10 rounds. But 9?

Porper was anxious to get a GM norm in Kapuskasing 2003. Unfortunately he got into a R vs R+N endgame (drawn, but care is needed) against the late GM Alex Wojtkiewicz with, I don't remember exactly, maybe a couple of minutes left on his clock in the SD. I followed this, but he didn't make it to 50 moves, when I would have called it a draw. You don't get an infinite number of kicks at the can, but I suppose that Porper is lucky to live in Alberta, which together with Quebec is the only host of GM norm events. Ontario, which is the frequent host of the Canadian Championship and Zonal, gets to run an IM norm event without needing to dip into a pocket deeply. Chess 'n Math used to run norm events, but I haven't noticed much recently. Of the CFC itself, not a lot need be written.

Comment

Working...
        X