Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: BC Senior Chess Championship 2014 Results

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
    Thank you Victoria for organizing this and for your great service in creating a memorable event for the other end of the age spectrum at the North American Youth Chess Championship.
    Thank you for your kind words, Vlad. Paul Leblanc and Joe Roback are ideal and amazingly competent people to work with at the BC Senior Championship. They truly helped make this event a great one and super fun to organize with.

The same goes for the NAYCC. It was my great pleasure to work with you, Vlad Drkulec, Frank Lee, Christina Tao, Jennifer Cheong, Jim Foote, George Zhou, and Aris Marghetis, and a host of many other parent volunteers to make this a successful and memorable Team Canada event. I am just finishing up another CFC Newsletter article, and this one is on the Team Canada at NAYCC 2014. Please look for it. There are some great pics from our official Team Canada photographer, Jim Foote, and myself.

On my next chess gig, you will be able to see postings of some captivating photos by yours truly in the upcoming CYCC. You will find them on our Facebook page:
    https://www.facebook.com/fqechecs?ref=hl

See you all in Montreal! Smile for the camera :-)

Victoria Jung-Doknjas
    Official Photographer at the 2014 CYCC
    Last edited by Victoria Jung-Doknjas; Tuesday, 24th June, 2014, 04:16 PM.

Comment

Re: BC Senior Chess Championship 2014 Results

Are games available from either of these BC events? I am planning a CanBase update within the next week or so.

CanBase - database of over 100,000 games played in Canada since the 1870's.

http://canbase.fqechecs.qc.ca

Comment

cheapoes, and different kinds of chess

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
        The two games do have a difference. Many traps and cheapoes you set up in an OTB game simply don't work in CC. All you get from OTB is bad habits.
        This reads like the comments made about online chess, especially Blitz and faster time controls, from the proponents of OTB chess. And it's true; many traps and cheapoes set up in an online game simply don't work in OTB chess.

Botvinnik had the following to say about what chess is really about:

Originally posted by Botvinnik
        Of course, the essence of chess is not to be found in the opening of the game. The basic ingredient of chess is that in a complex, original situation, where no source of help is apparent, a player must find the correct solution or move. Anyone who is able to do this can feel confident at the chess board.
        With so many different time controls, and a number of popular variations as well, perhaps such claims can't be made anymore because the different sorts of chess have different fundamentals.
        Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

Working...
        X