BC Senior Chess Championship 2014 Results

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BC Senior Chess Championship 2014 Results

Congratulations to Jose Kagaoan, our 2014 BC Senior Chess Champion, and Joe Soliven who won 2nd place overall!

1st Place - U1800: Paul Leblanc
    1st Place - U1600: Robert L. Barron

Most Sportsmanlike Player: Brian Sullivan
    Most Amiable Opponent: Edward Enns
    Outstanding Competitor: Neil Doknjas (Undefeated house player)

Check out photos and full results:
    http://wordpress.cvining.com/bc-senior-2014/

Sponsorship is often what makes a good event a GREAT event. The 2014 BC Senior Championship Organizers are very grateful for our Sponsors:

Philip Harris
    Roger Patterson
    Paul Leblanc
    Richard Lapenna
    Doug Sly
    Paul Burke
    and
    BC Chess Federation: http://www.chess.bc.ca/
    Comfort Inn & Suites Surrey Hotel: http://www.comfortinnsurrey.com

Thank YOU!

Victoria Jung-Doknjas, Paul Leblanc, and Joe Roback
    Co-Organizers and Chief Arbiter of the BC Senior Chess Championship 2014

Re: BC Senior Chess Championship 2014 Results

Fantastic turnout! 30 players. Probably more than the Canadian Senior Championship.
    Paul Leblanc
    Treasurer Chess Foundation of Canada

Comment

In February, the Quebec Senior championship had 37 players.

Crosstable: (the senior is listed as "Section C"):
      http://www.fqechecs.qc.ca/cms/cotes/tournois/id/4577

Comment

These events are great and seem to be quite popular, at least in BC and Quebec. The comraderie and the atmosphere at a Senior tournament is quite different from the average weekend swiss. We had several players come back to chess after years of absence.
        Paul Leblanc
        Treasurer Chess Foundation of Canada

Comment

What's the lower age limit for the senior championship?
          Gary Ruben
          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Re: BC Senior Chess Championship 2014: 50 yrs old or better in 2014 and reside in BC

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
            What's the lower age limit for the senior championship?
            If you will be 50 yrs old or better in 2014 and reside in British Columbia!

Comment

Re: BC Senior Chess Championship 2014: 50 yrs old or better in 2014 and reside in BC

Originally posted by Mark S. Dutton, I.A. View Post

Note that we are following FIDE's World Senior Chess Championships which states that:
              "The World Senior Chess Championship is open to all players, regardless of rating and title, who have reached the age of 50 and represent National Chess Federations which are members of FIDE."

http://www.fide.com/images/stories/F...s_2014_inv.pdf

I think 50 has been the lower limit for women previously; but, for the open section, it recently changed to be 50 as well. That's why we changed our age limit to 50 or better this year to follow suit.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark S. Dutton, I.A. View Post

Younger is always better. ;) Thanks for the info. 50 seems real young to me.
                Gary Ruben
                CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Younger is always better. ;) Thanks for the info. 50 seems real young to me.
                  I read that the age was unified with other sports where 50y can be considered very old. Though two groups exist 50 and 65.

Comment

Regardless of the age restrictions, the main things for me as an organizer for this event are:

1. The BC Senior Chess Championship is an opportunity for us to celebrate and honour our seniors and to recognize them for their many years of contribution to the BC chess community. Seniors help our junior players by simply playing them and imparting some of your chess wisdom to them. It has been my experience that win, lose, or draw, the seniors have always been very gracious to all players, both juniors or otherwise, and thus, help us build a strong, connected chess community.

2. Putting on an extra-ordinary event that makes all involved, from the players to the organizers, feeling good that they were a part of it.

3. Good chess play, in a good playing environment, for good players plus some added "little extras" to make it a little more special.

By all accounts, it was mission accomplished. I am also writing an article on the BC Senior Chess Championship for the CFC Newsletter. Keep an eye out for it to hear more details on the event.

Victoria Jung-Doknjas
                    Co-Organizer and Arbiter at the 2014 BC Senior Chess Championship

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Leblanc View Post
                      Fantastic turnout! 30 players. Probably more than the Canadian Senior Championship.
                      Don't be so sure... I am thinking of playing in my second seniors championship after winning the Michigan Seniors (50 plus - I forgot about the disappearing plus signs) a few years ago. Jim Daniluk is coming down from Calgary to play.
                      Last edited by Vlad Drkulec; Tuesday, 24th June, 2014, 02:11 PM.

Comment

Thank you Victoria for organizing this and for your great service in creating a memorable event for the other end of the age spectrum at the North American Youth Chess Championship.

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
                          I read that the age was unified with other sports where 50y can be considered very old. Though two groups exist 50 and 65.
                          I can see an age of 50 for sports which take a heavy toll on the body. Chess is a mind game where a players strength declines with age and medical research should give a guideline for what should generally be expected.

I retired from CC at 70 because when I took a critical look at my final event there really wasn't much there. I finished tied for 3/4 place but my play was mostly uninspired and not energetic. My errors mostly went unpunished.
                          Gary Ruben
                          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

I retired from CC at
                            You forget when you retired from the OTB play :) CC and OTB are two different beasts.

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
                              You forget when you retired from the OTB play :) CC and OTB are two different beasts.
                              I didn't actually retire from OTB chess. It wasn't like that.

I went from president of the Scarborough Chess Club to the equivalent of ED of the Canadian Correspondence Chess Association. 1974 I think it was. The one term ended in Sept. and the other began immediately after.

Doing both CC and playing OTB was kind of out of the question. I had a young family and I worked a full time job. I still play OTB when I get a chance but not rated chess. I played OTB at the seniors club when I used to go.

The two games do have a difference. Many traps and cheapoes you set up in an OTB game simply don't work in CC. All you get from OTB is bad habits. Many of the correspondence and OTB players from the 1970's and 80's are still active in the CFC. I've always thought it was because they learned their chess theory well. Learning chess theory is something I consider to be important.
                              Gary Ruben
                              CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Working...
                              X