Globe and Mail article on FIDE election

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Globe and Mail article

I see I was a little low. Also, I thought some of the total is being held for the CFC from things like the sale of the condo.

My own opinion of a foundation notwithstanding, I do agree the finances are being handled prudently.
    Gary Ruben
    CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Garland Best View Post
      So give such a contractor carte blanche the authority to set fees, publish the newsletter, organize the national tournaments, CYCC, WYCC, etc?

Several issues come to mind.

1) We just acheived NFP status at the 11th hour using a bare-bones constitution. Contracting out these duties would probably mean starting over.
      Not exactly. We wouldn't have the gun to our head of an October 17th extinction date as we survived that and are intact. We would need a two thirds vote of the voting members. I just don't see how this scenario would be preferable to the current one aside from it being less work for me, the directors and the voting members. It would be easy enough to generate all kinds of profits from chess by cutting services and increasing fees. We are a non-profit for a reason. Our goal is to promote chess and encourage people to play chess and not to make money.

If we were to move from non-profit to for profit status we would have to fold the foundation and distribute the funds to charity so right off the bat you would be looking at approximately $10k less in revenue per year and the loss of the cushion that the foundation provides. To maintain the current finances you would be looking at a $5 - $6 plus HST increase in membership fees across the board merely to replace that income. The chances of bankruptcy would go up astronomically without that safety net. In addition, you would have to be crazy to be a director in that scenario.

There is nothing to stop anyone from setting up a for profit chess business.

2) If we are talking OTB chess, such a party would have to do it while working with individual tournament organizers and clubs across the country, and convince them to "buy in" to the whole program.

Pardon the metaphor, but it sounds like trying to create a chess Amway. I don't see how it would work.
      I don't even see what the benefit would be. Hand over all the assets and hope someone can do a better job. That's what we have elections for.

Comment

When are the elections? Has anyone declared to run for the various offices so far? Are you willing to run again? What date do any more "hopefuls" (!) have to declare by? Is there any onus on these "hopefuls" to do more than say I want to run.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
          Our goal is to promote chess and encourage people to play chess and not to make money.
          There are clauses in the act what allow to hire people to work on achieving organization's goals. Non-for-profit does not allow (loosely) pay salaries to Execs.

Comment

Originally posted by J. Ken MacDonald View Post
            When are the elections? Has anyone declared to run for the various offices so far? Are you willing to run again? What date do any more "hopefuls" (!) have to declare by? Is there any onus on these "hopefuls" to do more than say I want to run.

Thanks!
            I am running again for president though the readers of the Globe and Mail are predicting my imminent ouster. My discussions with the executive that I have talked to indicate most are willing to serve another term. At the moment the SunTV interview with Ezra Levant doesn't look like its going to happen unless I can drag myself to Toronto with CYCC in just over two weeks it would require some rescheduling of quite a few students. Sun were not able to get suitable facilities in Windsor and they don't do Skype interviews for understandable reasons. I could probably open a window after the Canadian Open but the FIDE election will probably be old news by then. In fact, I expect that we will know the outcome shortly after July 7th when it becomes too late to change the delegates for the Tromso meeting. I expect that many federations will declare their intentions shortly thereafter free of the threat of a coup to change their vote.

Sasha Starr has dropped hints that he will run for president but there has been no declaration as of yet. Nominations can be made at the AGM. I don't think waiting until then is to the advantage of any challengers. Declare now and give people your platform. Who knows maybe it will be so wonderful we'll all step aside for the greater good. Simply declaring that you will stand for a position is sufficient to toss your hat in the ring.

Aside from the FIDE election kerfluffle everything is going fairly well at the CFC. I am sure someone is looking into cutting our funding but to do that first they have to give us some. :)

Still looking into the other situation but the Afghanistan ouster of a Kasparov loyalist looks to have more to do with some serious financial improprieties than Kirsan.

http://chessnewsagency.com/#/afghani...mer-president/

Bob Gillanders has been great at getting on top of things and great at communication. I talked to FQE president Bernard Labadie this morning at length. The CFC-FQE relationship has never been better. I shouldn't talk so much about how well things are going because I might jinx it.

Comment

I am running again for president though the readers of the Globe and Mail are predicting my imminent ouster. My discussions with the executive that I have talked to indicate most are willing to serve another term. At the moment the SunTV interview with Ezra Levant doesn't look like its going to happen unless I can drag myself to Toronto with CYCC in just over two weeks it would require some rescheduling of quite a few students. Sun were not able to get suitable facilities in Windsor and they don't do Skype interviews for understandable reasons. I could probably open a window after the Canadian Open but the FIDE election will probably be old news by then. In fact, I expect that we will know the outcome shortly after July 7th when it becomes too late to change the delegates for the Tromso meeting. I expect that many federations will declare their intentions shortly thereafter free of the threat of a coup to change their vote.

Sasha Starr has dropped hints that he will run for president but there has been no declaration as of yet. Nominations can be made at the AGM. I don't think waiting until then is to the advantage of any challengers. Declare now and give people your platform. Who knows maybe it will be so wonderful we'll all step aside for the greater good. Simply declaring that you will stand for a position is sufficient to toss your hat in the ring.

Aside from the FIDE election kerfluffle everything is going fairly well at the CFC. I am sure someone is looking into cutting our funding but to do that first they have to give us some. :)

Still looking into the other situation but the Afghanistan ouster of a Kasparov loyalist looks to have more to do with some serious financial improprieties than Kirsan.

http://chessnewsagency.com/#/afghani...mer-president/

Bob Gillanders has been great at getting on top of things and great at communication. I talked to FQE president Bernard Labadie this morning at length. The CFC-FQE relationship has never been better. I shouldn't talk so much about how well things are going because I might jinx it.
              Hi Vlad,
              The "Chess News Agency" site is widely believed to be Kirsan's site and is not a news agency at all. It is a blog that does not give objective information. Even if the President of the Afghanistan Chess Federation has accusations leveled against him it does not give FIDE the right to remove him from the Presidents office of the Afghanistan chess federation before he is convicted of anything and furthermore it is an internal matter within the Afghanistan Chess Federation and not FIDE.
              Furthermore no explanation is forthcoming from FIDE or "THe Chess News Agency" for similar actions from Gabon. Again thank you for your consideration of these matters.
              Last edited by Sid Belzberg; Friday, 27th June, 2014, 09:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sid Belzberg View Post
                Hi Vlad,
                The "Chess News Agency" site is widely believed to be Kirsan's site and is not a news agency at all. It is a blog that does not give objective information. Even if the President of the Afghanistan Chess Federation has accusations leveled against him it does not give FIDE the right to remove him from the Presidents office of the Afghanistan chess federation before he is convicted of anything and furthermore it is an internal matter within the Afghanistan Chess Federation and not FIDE.
                I don't know what the rules are in Afghanistan but not having a meeting in eight years and claiming to be president for life does not inspire one with the desire to go out on a limb over this situation. The letter looks about as authentic as the one on the Kasparov website. Truthfully I am not sure what to make of either communication. I am still waiting to hear about Gabon.
                Furthermore no explanation is forthcoming from FIDE or "THe Chess News Agency" for similar actions from Gabon. Again thank you for your consideration of these matters.

Comment

I don't know what the rules are in Afghanistan but not having a meeting in eight years and claiming to be president for life does not inspire one with the desire to go out on a limb over this situation. The letter looks about as authentic as the one on the Kasparov website. Truthfully I am not sure what to make of either communication. I am still waiting to hear about Gabon.
                  Again, thanks for looking into it. As mentioned I believe Michael K could shed some credible info on both situations and it would not hurt to call him.

Comment

Hi Ken - I am running again as FIDE Rep. My ticket to Tromso has been booked and I look forward to another productive FIDE Congress. I am also looking for great things from our strongest ever Olympic Teams!

Comment

Re: Globe and Mail article on FIDE election

Last edited by Gary Ruben; Tuesday, 1st July, 2014, 11:37 AM.
                      Gary Ruben
                      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

By the way Vlad my proposal is not forever, if I don't hear anything by Monday I will consider my proposal rejected and the CFC can consider it null and void.

Comment

http://www.vice.com/en_ca/read/ufos-...ation-election

Comment

another fluff piece in support of Garry Kimovich

aha ha ha ha. Justin Ling, the author of that piece, says this about himself....

Originally posted by Justin Ling
                            He also makes a great talking head, offering critical commentary that can come from either the center, left, right, all three, or none of the above. Politics at any level is his forte, and can do TV, print, radio, phonograph or morse code.
                            "... either the center, left, right, or all three, or none of the above." ha ha. Hey Justin, if you are reading this, then you might want to avoid crapping on Vladimir Kramnik over "bathroomgate". Nobody believes that garbage except Bulgarian Veselin Topalov, or those in his entourage, and all it did was poison his relations with Kramnik forever. Just because Kramnik has a Russian name doesn't mean he's evil.

No, really. All Vladimirs are not created equal.
                            Last edited by Nigel Hanrahan; Monday, 30th June, 2014, 06:59 PM. Reason: All Vlads
                            Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

Re: another fluff piece in support of Garry Kimovich

It does appear that my portion of the interview never made it into the Vice article. So it seems to me that Kasparov and his people have embraced the great lie technique. Tell enough outrageous lies and some people will be stupid enough to believe them. This business about recognizing the Crimea as Russian, can someone point me to an unbiased source that supports this?

Thankfully this election should be over in one week.

Comment

Re: another fluff piece in support of Garry Kimovich

It does appear that my portion of the interview never made it into the Vice article. So it seems to me that Kasparov and his people have embraced the great lie technique. Tell enough outrageous lies and some people will be stupid enough to believe them. This business about recognizing the Crimea as Russian, can someone point me to an unbiased source that supports this?

Thankfully this election should be over in one week.
                                You are welcome to call Gary or Michael K and they can certainly introduce you to the president of the Ukraine Chess Federation that will provide you with ample substantiation of this truth.

Comment

Working...
                                X