Too... Much... Information!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Too... Much... Information!!!

This morning, Chesstalk has turned into de Firmian's MCO 14th Edition.

Every election needs posters. Maybe the best way to inform voters/members is as follows:

1 Page Promotional Poster

- At the top show a picture of self involved in a positive chess activity
    - List accomplishments
    - List platform: moderate claims need not be supported; ambitious claims to be backed by more details
    - Facts not well known to the public need to be support through links in the footnotes

1 Page Attack Poster

- At the top show a picture of the other candidate photo-shopped to resemble a historical villain
    - List their past transgressions
    - List how they will harm Canadian chess if they are elected
    - Facts not well known to the public need to be support through links in the footnotes

Re: Too... Much... Information!!!

Yeah, except when your candidate is losing, more is better and flailing around in a mud puddle will dirty both candidates.
    Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

Originally posted by Nigel Hanrahan View Post
      Yeah, except when your candidate is losing, more is better and flailing around in a mud puddle will dirty both candidates.
      What is surprising me is the amount of energy wasted on a issue that nobody involved can do anything about it. Our Canadian Chess family is so small and make me sad to see it so divided around this subject. I am referring to the ones that did something so Canadian Chess can get better: coaching, sponsoring, achieving great international results, TD-ing, organizing, spending time in different CFC boards and so on.

Anyone can correct me if I am wrong, but our vote in next FIDE election will NOT decide the next president. As far as I know one of the candidates has secured more than sufficient votes to be elected.

I understand the principles behind the voting for the less evil/moral choice but by the end of the election, all will be left with is the adversity between some of the members of our small Canadian chess family. Why are to few to afford sparing any of us, let's make our "fights" just about finding more sponsors, creating more chess clubs, spreading the popularity of this game that brought us together.

Andrei Botez

Comment

Originally posted by Andrei Botez View Post
        What is surprising me is the amount of energy wasted on a issue that nobody involved can do anything about it. Our Canadian Chess family is so small and make me sad to see it so divided around this subject. I am referring to the ones that did something so Canadian Chess can get better: coaching, sponsoring, achieving great international results, TD-ing, organizing, spending time in different CFC boards and so on.

Anyone can correct me if I am wrong, but our vote in next FIDE election will NOT decide the next president. As far as I know one of the candidates has secured more than sufficient votes to be elected.

I understand the principles behind the voting for the less evil/moral choice but by the end of the election, all will be left with is the adversity between some of the members of our small Canadian chess family. Why are to few to afford sparing any of us, let's make our "fights" just about finding more sponsors, creating more chess clubs, spreading the popularity of this game that brought us together.

Andrei Botez
        Too bad we don't have a like button on this board.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
          Too bad we don't have a like button on this board.
          If you like that message so much, then why didn't you as CFC President push for an abstention on the FIDE vote?

Instead, you took one side to the extreme (endorsing KI, not just voting for him) when the voting members were polarized.

You are RESPONSIBLE for the mess that this message complains about!

Can you answer this simple question:

Why did you press for an endorse of EITHER candidate (in this case KI) rather than push for the politically smartest choice of an abstention?

And please don't talk about things that will be revealed in the fullness of time. For once, be completely transparent.
          Only the rushing is heard...
          Onward flies the bird.

Comment

let Garry Kimovich run ... among the space aliens!!

Originally posted by Andrei Botez View Post
            Nostalgia for Cold War zealotry is a factor. Let's just say that we have over-representation of such views in the chess fraternity in Canada. There may be a good historical reason for it, but it's way past its shelf life now.* We should be widening the base of interest in chess in Canada instead of making the success of chess conditional on a certain political point of view. This approach has led to failure for Kasparov in Russia domestically and, by the looks of it, it will lead to failure internationally. Maybe Garry Kimovich can run for election (next) among the space aliens that Kirsan talks about. They might share the Cold War shibboleths of the zealots.

If the current regime in Ottawa has wisely decided to stay the hell away from the tempest in a teapot over this issue in Canadian chess, then I have to admit that I agree with them (probably for the first time) for doing so. There's nothing in it for them.

*Supplemental: Canada's chess history is very much intertwined with Soviet bloc ex-pats whose political views were (perhaps) understandably on the extreme end of the Cold Warrior perspective. Those views are easily resurrected among Westerners even today - just look at the successful Russophobia and Putinphobia long after that country has become a capitalist country. The Cold War templates are trotted out with the predictable Pavlovian response by the mass media, etc. But Russia today gets much of its economic activity from (excessive?) resource extraction and could be classified as the same kind of petro-state as Canada is.
            Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

Re: let Garry Kimovich run ... among the space aliens!!

Originally posted by Nigel Hanrahan View Post
              But Russia today gets much of its economic activity from (excessive?) resource extraction and could be classified as the same kind of petro-state as Canada is.
              Don't forget that AFTER the sanctions began Russia signed a natural gas deal with China. It's a 30 year, $400 Billion dollar agreement. Lots of pipe to lay in the next few years and gas fields to be developed. Jobs, jobs, jobs

If we ever get to the point where we're shipping liquid natural gas (LNG) into that market it will likely be at a price lower than China agreed with Russia.

The deal makes Russia less reliant on the EU to sell that natural resource. Although, I'm sure there are EU nations which will continue to purchase from Russia.
              Gary Ruben
              CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Working...
              X