• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: CFC Membership Numbers

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
    Total is the same.........
    Yes, but the optics are different.

If you're satisfied with the current situation, then stay with it.
    Gary Ruben
    CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Stats would be amazing if some complainers simple joined the CFC LOL

Comment

New members create work. I want to be part of the solution and not part of the problem. LOL.
        Gary Ruben
        CC - IA and SIM

Comment

I became a life member in 1977 - best investment I ever made. Funnily enough back then doomsayers were saying the same things about the CFC as today and that I was crazy taking the risk to buy a life membership. Some things never change.

Comment

If all you want is optics, there is an easy solution: make all parents of juniors honourary members, while the junior is a member. Easy, costs virtually nothing, and adds a couple of thousand "members" instantly.

Comment

Originally posted by John Coleman View Post
              If all you want is optics, there is an easy solution: make all parents of juniors honourary members, while the junior is a member. Easy, costs virtually nothing, and adds a couple of thousand "members" instantly.
              And then, the Chess Federation of Canada has members that don't know how to actually play chess.

Great idea! :p

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Jung View Post
                I became a life member in 1977 - best investment I ever made. Funnily enough back then doomsayers were saying the same things about the CFC as today and that I was crazy taking the risk to buy a life membership. Some things never change.
                My comment was sort of tongue in cheek. Of course if you're 100% sure you'll live in Canada (well, anywhere outside Quebec, that is) and play chess for the next 20 years, get a life membership.

However, my comment still stands: I don't think a junior can answer yes to these two questions:

-will you play chess for the next 10 years?
                -will you live in Canada for the next 10 years?

Hence, junior life member is quite a serious commitment. I'm not sure there's any of those anyways, which sort of prove my point.

Comment

John, I'm simply suggesting a way of presenting the real numbers in a manner which will give a better indication of the Junior and Adult members. I'm not suggesting bulking up the numbers.

The life members and honourary members can still be placed in a note below.

If the total adult membership is more than 1,000 the figures should reflect that.

My own experience has been that it's easier to sign up members in a chess organization which is growing than in one which is declining or stagnant.

Your idea might even be the way to go.
                  Gary Ruben
                  CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Mathieu Cloutier View Post
                    And then, the Chess Federation of Canada has members that don't know how to actually play chess.
                    Chess skill is not a requirement for membership... you can sign up your dog if you want; just send in the membership fee.

It works for other organisations... the Liberal party has members who are anything but liberal, the Toronto Maple Leafs has players who can't skate... I'm sure you can think of other examples.

Comment

Originally posted by John Coleman View Post
                      Chess skill is not a requirement for membership... you can sign up your dog if you want; just send in the membership fee.

It works for other organisations... the Liberal party has members who are anything but liberal, the Toronto Maple Leafs has players who can't skate... I'm sure you can think of other examples.
                      IF you're joking, then: a big :p to you.

Otherwise, you're sort of technically right about the bolded, but it's still a very very bad idea.

Citizen lambda decides to look into the Chess Federation of Canada. What is he expecting? Well, he's expecting to find Canadians that can and DO play chess. I know it might seem dumb, but you've got to account for that at some point.

Comment

Originally posted by Mathieu Cloutier View Post
                        Not sure about that. A junior is much more likely to change his mind about chess and quit. If you're 65 and you've been playing chess all your adult life, you're less likely to quit!

Also, if you're 15 years old, there's quite a high probability that the CFC will do something completely outrageous at some point during your lifetime. Then you have to explain to your friends and family why the hell you are a life member with that organization. Those fellows that are well past 65 years old are much less worried about that kind of stuff.

I wouldn't suggest buying life membership until you're at least 65... ;)
                        I bucked the odds and got a life membership when I was 17 or 18..........

Comment

Working...
                        X