Open Letter From The Ukraniain Chess Federation To The Canadian Chess Federation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open Letter From The Ukraniain Chess Federation To The Canadian Chess Federation

Letter from Ukrainian to Canadian Federation
    We have been asked to help disseminate this open letter from the president of the Ukrainian Chess Federation, Viktor Kapustin, to the board of the Canadian Chess Federation.

OPEN LETTER TO THE EXECUTIVE BOARD OF THE CANADIAN CHESS FEDERATION

Dear Friends of Chess,

I use this opportunity to extend to you my deepest respect.

It is known that Canadians of Ukrainian descent have influence in Canadian society and policy. Canada was the first country that recognized Ukraine and established diplomatic relations. The Canadian government has supported Ukraine’s independence from the beginning and continues to do so today against the incursions of Russia on Ukrainian sovereignty. Our states have developed strong economic and cultural ties.

Unfortunately, the same cannot be said with respect to our chess federations! I hope that we can develop a strong partnership that would result in coordinated activities such as scholastic chess programs, exchange of trainers, national team matches, and other areas of common interest.

I write to you also on an issue of more immediate mutual concern, that of the Ukrainian Chess Federation’s open letter regarding bringing the matter of Crimea before the General Assembly. As you may be aware, FIDE has refused to allow GA debate on jurisdiction over Crimean chess activity, which will thusly default to Russia after its illegal annexation by the Putin government – an act condemned overwhelmingly by the United Nations and the G-7, condemnation led by Canada in both cases. I hope I can count on the support of the Canadian federation in our efforts to rectify this scandalous state of affairs. In more specific case of this FIDE administration’s misguided loyalty to Russia there are the illegal actions of the FIDE Secretariat in respect Ms. Katerina Lagno’s transfer from Ukraine to the Russian federation.

The FIDE administration of Kirsan Ilyumzhinov has become dangerously dependent on and devoted to the Kremlin, a situation all lovers of chess should find intolerable. It is damaging to our sport’s reputation and also harmful to the practical development of sponsorship and governmental relationships. One cannot imagine governments or companies in Ukraine or Canada supporting chess activities organized or sponsored by a regime, corporations, or individuals under EU and Canadian sanctions.

For these reasons among many, the Ukrainian federation nominated the ticket of Garry Kasparov for the FIDE presidency. He has promised to align FIDE with international opinion on such matters and to give fair hearing instead of playing politics and aligning with one isolated nation as Mr. Ilyumzhinov has done. I very much desire that the Canadian federation will join us in supporting Mr. Kasparov and a new FIDE that promotes and supports chess and chess federations.

Yours in chess,

Viktor Kapustin
    President, Ukrainian Chess Federation (FSHU)
    Last edited by Sid Belzberg; Friday, 18th July, 2014, 06:17 PM.

Re: Open Letter From The Ukraniain Chess Federation To The Canadian Chess Federation

A completely different approach to the issues than CFC, however!?

Comment

Re: Open Letter From The Ukraniain Chess Federation To The Canadian Chess Federation

Originally posted by Caesar Posylek View Post
      A completely different approach to the issues than CFC, however!?
      USCF's Directors voted 7-0 to support Kasparov, indeed a very different approach than CFC!

Comment

Unfortunately, there is no mutual language possible! It can't be helped!

Comment

Originally posted by Caesar Posylek View Post
          Unfortunately, there is no mutual language possible! It can't be helped!
          Please explain what do you mean!

Comment

Originally posted by Sasha Starr View Post
            USCF's Directors voted 7-0 to support Kasparov, indeed a very different approach than CFC!
            Are you telling us ALL the USCF members did not get to vote for whom they would support?

OORAH!!! Democracy in action!!!
            Gary Ruben
            CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
              Are you telling us ALL the USCF members did not get to vote for whom they would support?

OORAH!!! Democracy in action!!!
              Look, you can interpret what I've written any way you want, have fun!
              The simple facts are: USCF's Directors voted 7-0 to support Kasparov. CFC's Directors voted 5-0=2 to support Ilyumzhinov.
              Any more questions?

Comment

Originally posted by Sid Belzberg View Post
                Letter from Ukrainian to Canadian Federation
                We have been asked to help disseminate this open letter from the president of the Ukrainian Chess Federation, Viktor Kapustin, to the board of the Canadian Chess Federation.

OPEN LETTER TO THE EXECUTIVE BOARD OF THE CANADIAN CHESS FEDERATION

Dear Friends of Chess,

I use this opportunity to extend to you my deepest respect.

It is known that Canadians of Ukrainian descent have influence in Canadian society and policy. Canada was the first country that recognized Ukraine and established diplomatic relations. The Canadian government has supported Ukraine’s independence from the beginning and continues to do so today against the incursions of Russia on Ukrainian sovereignty. Our states have developed strong economic and cultural ties.

Unfortunately, the same cannot be said with respect to our chess federations! I hope that we can develop a strong partnership that would result in coordinated activities such as scholastic chess programs, exchange of trainers, national team matches, and other areas of common interest.

I write to you also on an issue of more immediate mutual concern, that of the Ukrainian Chess Federation’s open letter regarding bringing the matter of Crimea before the General Assembly. As you may be aware, FIDE has refused to allow GA debate on jurisdiction over Crimean chess activity, which will thusly default to Russia after its illegal annexation by the Putin government – an act condemned overwhelmingly by the United Nations and the G-7, condemnation led by Canada in both cases. I hope I can count on the support of the Canadian federation in our efforts to rectify this scandalous state of affairs. In more specific case of this FIDE administration’s misguided loyalty to Russia there are the illegal actions of the FIDE Secretariat in respect Ms. Katerina Lagno’s transfer from Ukraine to the Russian federation.

The FIDE administration of Kirsan Ilyumzhinov has become dangerously dependent on and devoted to the Kremlin, a situation all lovers of chess should find intolerable. It is damaging to our sport’s reputation and also harmful to the practical development of sponsorship and governmental relationships. One cannot imagine governments or companies in Ukraine or Canada supporting chess activities organized or sponsored by a regime, corporations, or individuals under EU and Canadian sanctions.

For these reasons among many, the Ukrainian federation nominated the ticket of Garry Kasparov for the FIDE presidency. He has promised to align FIDE with international opinion on such matters and to give fair hearing instead of playing politics and aligning with one isolated nation as Mr. Ilyumzhinov has done. I very much desire that the Canadian federation will join us in supporting Mr. Kasparov and a new FIDE that promotes and supports chess and chess federations.

Yours in chess,

Viktor Kapustin
                President, Ukrainian Chess Federation (FSHU)
                My note to CFC's Executives:
                "This letter is public, I've seen it already on a few internet sites, including a very popular chess-news.ru
                Executive has never made a promised public announcement about the reasons of their endorsement of Ilyumzhinov.
                Are you planning to answer this open letter?"

Comment

Look, you can interpret what I've written any way you want, have fun!
                  The simple facts are: USCF's Directors voted 7-0 to support Kasparov. CFC's Directors voted 5-0=2 to support Ilyumzhinov.
                  Any more questions?
                  You found out what happens when someone gets less votes than the winner in an election. Why would you expect this to be different?

OORAH!!! Democracy in action!
                  Gary Ruben
                  CC - IA and SIM

Comment

CFC or CCF ?

Kapustin: "I use this opportunity to extend to you my deepest respect."

Yeah, OK. One might believe this more if the FSHU President and/or his advisers actually got the name of the Chess Federation of Canada correct. It's a bit like the "poll" here that has an incorrect spelling for the given name of the FIDE President. Children do that sort of thing and think it's mischievous and clever. It's not. When the mistake is unintended, then other adjectives come to mind ...

The CFC was once the CCF but, since it could be confused with the predecessor of today's NDP, the name was changed.
                    Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

I'm glad to see that you have finally come around to the view that it is the directors that should make such a decision.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
                        I'm glad to see that you have finally come around to the view that it is the directors that should make such a decision.
                        Only if they are capable to do so.

Comment

Sasha, as part of your continuing education into democracy, would you mind refraining from posting new business on the meeting board for the incoming Governors' ... 4 days after the meeting closed.

Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by John Coleman View Post
                            Sasha, as part of your continuing education into democracy, would you mind refraining from posting new business on the meeting board for the incoming Governors' ... 4 days after the meeting closed.

Thank you.
                            The post has been deleted and all threads have been closed.

Comment

I am participating in the highlight of the chess year with a mountain of positive publicity for chess in the newspapers, on television, radio and online and the Kasparov people want to fight the election all over again.

If you want to talk about the best organized and largest CYCC in recent memory then perhaps I might be able to find time to engage you. Otherwise I prefer to just enjoy the experience of this special moment of Canadian chess history.

Comment

Working...
                              X