Canadian Open - Section C Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canadian Open - Section C Problems

While the organizers should be commended for the great location and attracting a large number of participants, it is obvious that they dropped the ball on a couple of things.

1. In section C, why were the pairings for round 2 posted at the very last moment, after the scheduled start time if I'm not mistaken.
    2. Also the results as well as the pairing information for this section are still missing on Chess-Results.com. For the sake of transparency, the participants at least deserve an explanation at to why this is the case.
    3. The top rated player in section C is rated FQE 2032, above the 2000 cutoff, despite the fact that the official flyer for the tournament states the following:

"la cote FQE est utilisée pour les résidants du Québec. La plus haute des cotes FQE ou FCE (CFC) pour les résidants canadiens hors-Québec."

Re: Canadian Open - Section C Problems

All those deviations are the organizers errors and imperfections? Are they that basic and important?

Comment

Re : Re: Canadian Open - Section C Problems

We will try to get the results and pairings for section C U2000 out for tomorrow. It's a combination of human and technological issues. The chief arbiter of the tournament, IA Pierre Dénommée, explained that a software crash forced us to delay the round and use pairings that were not completely accurate. These issues should be resolved before next round.

For point 3, as our website states,

"The highest of FQE or FIDE for residents of Quebec.
      The highest of CFC or FIDE for residents of Canada (except Quebec).
      The highest rating found (FIDE,USCF, FQE, CFC...) for foreign players. ",

the top player in the C section is definitely sandbagging, but he is completely eligible to the section as he lives in Toronto and has a CFC rating of under 2000.

We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Comment

Re: Re : Re: Canadian Open - Section C Problems

Also in the B -U2400 section one player with 1 1/2 (1/2 point bye for 1st round and a win in 2nd round) was paired with 1 point in round 3.

Comment

The 6 pm Sunday round for section C players started at close to 7:30.

a) Was there not a backup of the Section C data so it could be tried on another computer?
          b) could the data have been transferred to other software such as Swiss-Sys (rather than Swiss Manager)?
          c) If the problem was really due to excessive byes (from what I heard) - create fake bye-vs-bye pairings, and correct them later.

Why should the players suffer through a 90-minute delay? I heard at least one complaining player being offered a refund.

Forget about chess-results.com, and post the crosstables and pairings on the Open web page, and/or here. If necessary - just take a photo of them and post.

Comment

Re : Re: Canadian Open - Section C Problems

a) It was not a data problem but a software problem. The failure wasnt caused by a simple bug.
            b) Not in a timely fashion.
            c) Partly. A good part of the issues were due to kids from CYCC registering for the CO and then not showing up.

Chess-results has still been working really well for most of the sections. I can't absolutely say what will happen from now on but the arbiter for the organization will probably change the U2000 arbiter for the remaining rounds of the tournament.

Comment

Originally posted by Roman Sarrazin Gendron View Post
              the top player in the C section is definitely sandbagging, but he is completely eligible to the section as he lives in Toronto and has a CFC rating of under 2000.
              I think you should be very careful making statements like this... I don't see any evidence of what you describe as "definitely sandbagging".

Comment

He's not sandbagging - he's quite an active player, and his rating fluctuates continually (between 1900 and 2031 over the last 7-8 years).

http://www.chess.ca/players?check_ra...329&key=140719

Comment

Originally posted by Roman Sarrazin Gendron View Post
                  a) It was not a data problem but a software problem. The failure wasnt caused by a simple bug.
                  Can you elaborate more?

Comment

Re : Re: Re : Re: Canadian Open - Section C Problems

Originally posted by Tyler Longo View Post
                    I think you should be very careful making statements like this... I don't see any evidence of what you describe as "definitely sandbagging".
                    I think Roman didn't know that sandbagging (in English) implies braking the rules. He probably meant that this player is allowed to play in the section, but is clearly very strong for it and is playing for the first prize (which is totally allowed).

Comment

Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Canadian Open - Section C Problems

Originally posted by Felix Dumont View Post
                      I think Roman didn't know that sandbagging (in English) implies braking the rules. He probably meant that this player is allowed to play in the section, but is clearly very strong for it and is playing for the first prize (which is totally allowed).
                      That's fair. Congrats on what looks like a great event! Wish I could attend.

Comment

Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Canadian Open - Section C Problems

Originally posted by Felix Dumont View Post
                        I was unaware that "sandbagging" was a French expression with its own meaning.

In English chess parlance, it means deliberately deflating your rating before a big-money tournament so you can qualify for a lower rating class and thus have a better chance of winning a prize.

Steve

Comment

Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Canadian Open - Section C Problems

Hello,

I did not realize the full extent of the negative connotation of "sandbagging" in English and I obviously take it back.
                          There is no such word in French but I believed it was an equivalent to what we call a shark. Obviously, as I stated, his registration is perfectly legal.

I should indeed have been more careful.
                          Last edited by Roman Sarrazin Gendron; Sunday, 20th July, 2014, 10:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rene Preotu View Post
                            Also in the B -U2400 section one player with 1 1/2 (1/2 point bye for 1st round and a win in 2nd round) was paired with 1 point in round 3.
                            Hi Rene:

I could also add that in Rd. 3, I had my 3rd consecutive black. No pairing system I know can do that.

But I am cutting the organizers some slack on this (I actually enjoy playing Black), since they seem to have had real unanticipated problems with our Group C (U 2000). But I think it should be noted for the record, as should other anomalies.

Bob A

Comment

Re : Re: Re : Re: Canadian Open - Section C Problems

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
                              Can you elaborate more?
                              Someone will give all the details tomorrow, but here's what can I say ;

We gave free registration to CYCC players, and many parents thanked us for that. However, many also registered and decided to leave without warning us. If you add to that the 75 registrations on site o the evening before and those whochanged sections at the last minute, the first round was chaotic for section B and C. Many players won their game by forfeit... We had to do manually the changes on Swiss manager and it produced the round two pairings. But for round three it simply refused to do the pairings and the error message told us to do the pairings manually. We tried entering the results again but it didn't work. As it was already passed 6 at this point, we did the pair is for the 100 players manually. Sorry for the inconvenience and the delay. Our arbiters are changing the pairing software for
                              sections B and C (not for the others, as everything went well).
                              Cham

Comment

Working...
                              X