"More Brainpower Than Chess"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "More Brainpower Than Chess"

I don't play video games so I can't really comment on this Norbert Daniels Jr. article that maintains there are 6 video games that take more brainpower than chess (:

http://whatculture.com/gaming/6-vide...ower-chess.php

Re: "More Brainpower Than Chess"

Without all the advertising:

1. Civilization V
    2. Democracy 3
    3. Xenonauts
    4. Starcraft II
    5. XCOM: Enemy Within
    6. Total War: Shogun 2

I do play (and enjoy) video games...not interested in the war stuff though...love Plants vs Zombies (which is pretty silly compared to chess) LOL

Does anyone have any comments on these games?

Larry

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post

1. Civilization V
      2. Democracy 3
      3. Xenonauts
      4. Starcraft II

I do play (and enjoy) video games...not interested in the war stuff though...love Plants vs Zombies (which is pretty silly compared to chess) LOL

Larry
      That's wasting of time for guys who don't play them only.

Comment

I don't have much time to play video games anymore, but I do own three of these games. Civilization V is definitely my favourite game and the only one I still take the time to play to. Democracy 3 is interesting, especially if you like politics. However, the gameplay is somewhat limited and we quickly get bored. Starcraft is a great game, but it can quickly get very addictive :)
        I quickly tried XCOM and Total War ; they seemed like good games, but again I don't have the time. Never heard about Xenonauts before.

I don't quite agree they require more brainpower than chess though, especially for Civilization V and Democracy which are turn-based (so you can take all your time to take a decision).

Comment

Re: "More Brainpower Than Chess" - maybe not , but interesting nevertheless

I really like the Railbuilder series of games (North American Rail, EuroRail, etc.) involving the construction of track over a vast territory with the idea of building track and delivering commodities in tandem so as to end up with a network of track covering a set of major cities and connecting track that was able to deliver the commodities along the way. The Lunar Rail, which is one of the two I still have, shows the face of the Moon, and the dark side, and the track is built over the entire surface of the Moon with a little spherical geometry coming into play. The destinations on the Moon are fictional, obviously, but the other maps are interesting for the names of cities and so on.

The game actually uses some graph theory, and I can see some advanced Math students playing the game for fun, much like Erno Rubik's students played with his toy to learn some properties relating to topology, etc.
          Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

Civilization V has both depth and breadth. A great game. The whole notion of a computer game requiring "more brainpower than chess" is basically nonsensical however. Chess has simple rules but is almost infinitely complex. Civ V has comparatively complicated rules but is relatively linear. Like comparing apples and salami.

Comment

I've played Civ I, III and still play IV. Is V a big improvement?
              "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom O'Donnell View Post
                I've played Civ I, III and still play IV. Is V a big improvement?
                Yes, iiroc:

-Hexes instead of diamonds
                -Immortal is actually hard (for me, only playable with 3 civilizations)
                -Tech catchup is harder
                -Harder levels reflect more sophisticated AI behavior rather than just easier milestones.

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post

1. Civilization V
                  2. Democracy 3
                  3. Xenonauts
                  4. Starcraft II

Larry
                  I have not played all of them... Civ V I would say definitely not. Starcraft II ... lots of reflexes needed, and unless you're a high-level player there tends to be a lot of down-time. Shogun 2 - these battles can be just crazy sometimes and on the highest difficulty level you don't get a handy minimap to help you out so in a way it's almost like playing blitz chess blindfolded. Of the three I've played, that's the only one I could see being possibly true - and then only when compared to blitz chess.

P.S. Civ IV > Civ V
                  Christopher Mallon
                  FIDE Arbiter

Comment

'The Wall Street Journal' speculates that computers may have a harder time beating StarCraft. (:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/computer...trending_now_7

Comment

Working...
                    X