Boxes and boxes of old chess magazines...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boxes and boxes of old chess magazines...

Spring cleaning comes late at the Chess'n Math Association :)

We have over 1,000 old chess magazines that we want to get rid of. Most are Chess Life and the CFC mag from the past. I have been trying to get rid of them for free at the MOntreal Chess Club over the last few months...but we still have lots more.

Today I just sold all our old computer equipment hardware to a recyle company...maybe I will frame the $20 bill I received :)

So the offer is simple. Take these boxes of chess mags off our hands...or they will end up in the garbage by the end of next week. If we have to ship, then you will pick up the shipping charges. If 5 people are interested, then I will divide the pile in 5. You have until Friday night to send me an e-mail indicating your interest. Send me an e-mail at bevand at chess-math dot org.

Larry

Re: Boxes and boxes of old chess magazines...

Olympiad prediction contest?

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
    Spring cleaning comes late at the Chess'n Math Association :)

We have over 1,000 old chess magazines that we want to get rid of. Most are Chess Life and the CFC mag from the past. I have been trying to get rid of them for free at the MOntreal Chess Club over the last few months...but we still have lots more.

Today I just sold all our old computer equipment hardware to a recyle company...maybe I will frame the $20 bill I received :)

So the offer is simple. Take these boxes of chess mags off our hands...or they will end up in the garbage by the end of next week. If we have to ship, then you will pick up the shipping charges. If 5 people are interested, then I will divide the pile in 5. You have until Friday night to send me an e-mail indicating your interest. Send me an e-mail at bevand at chess-math dot org.

Larry

Comment

We have lots of old chess magazines at Strategy Games, 250 Bank Street in Ottawa. Just come in and ask for them. And buy something while you are here. :)

Comment

Maybe somebody going home from Montreal to Toronto could grab some boxes?
        Interested in older (pre-2000) Chess Life; CFC only latest (~2004-200x).

Comment

I have a few gaps in my collection of CFC magazines pre-1975. Occasionally I get requests from people wanting to know what their rating was pre-CFC website.
          Not much room in my suitcase but I could take some of the earliest dated magazines home with me from Montreal.
          Paul Leblanc
          Treasurer Chess Foundation of Canada

Comment

Frank Lee and I met with Larry today and we grabbed a box which will probably wind up as prizes and giveaways for the kids tournaments in Windsor. There are piles more left.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Leblanc View Post
              Occasionally I get requests from people wanting to know what their rating was pre-CFC website.
              The 1972 rating list was a small 16 page booklet with a deep red cover. The events rated were listed at the back and are in the page count.

I can't recall rating lists in the 50's and early 60's. Do you know when the elo system started in Canada for all the players?
              Gary Ruben
              CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                The 1972 rating list was a small 16 page booklet with a deep red cover. The events rated were listed at the back and are in the page count.

I can't recall rating lists in the 50's and early 60's. Do you know when the elo system started in Canada for all the players?
                After you mentioned a red cover I remembered that I had one and even scanned it. See the old (4yrs) discussion at http://www.chesstalk.info/forum/show...50-CFC-ratings

Seems that the updated is needed with 2012 top-50 ratings :)

Comment

I couldn't remember much in the way of ratings back in the 50's and early 60's. We played the event and if we won we got the trophy and a certificate.

Between 1962 and 67 I think I played only 1 serious event. Moving around, dating, etc. I didn't even tell my wife I played chess until after we got married. Kind of a nerdy thing I didn't think to mention. :D She did a pretty good job helping me with the CCCA administration and typed the magazine even though she has never learned to play the game.
                  Gary Ruben
                  CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Rating Lists

The 1st CFC Rating List was 1955. I will post a Top 10 when I get a chance.

Comment

Re: Rating Lists

See BCCF Bulletin #282 beginning on page 5; the top 11 are on page 6.

Comment

Hi Paul,

You (and anyone else) are welcome to stop by and "cherry pick" today. I will be hiding upstairs but simply ask for me at the shop. BTW, we received more Saitek clocks so if you want to trade, that works.

Larry

For Toronto folks, I will be bringing 3 -4 boxes there around Aug 5...whatever we have left over on Aug 12 goes in the garbage. Make arrangements with Francis 416-486-3395.

Larry

Comment

Not sure I can make it into the shop today. Going to Old Montreal. Any chance of getting a few of the oldest editions and the Saitek to the C.O. tonight or Saturday?
                          Paul Leblanc
                          Treasurer Chess Foundation of Canada

Comment

Re: Rating Lists

Originally posted by Stephen Wright View Post
                            See BCCF Bulletin #282 beginning on page 5; the top 11 are on page 6.
                            I visited the National Archives about 3 years ago. A former Executive Director had sent all of the rating reports / materials there at some time in the past. This stuff has to be ordered in advance (from the warehouse) and then if you are lucky it will be there the next day. The earliest rating list there is the 1955 list, but since you have posted the 1954 list at your site, I can take some other angle.

Do you have annual lists for 55 - 72 ? Maybe they were published in Chess Chat. There weren't any in the archives, just all of the crosstables for rating ordered by date, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post

I have been away for a few days and don't know if the CFC ratings booklets for 1967 and 1968 have been mentioned. I scanned my copies in February 2014 and they were posted on the CFC website: Ratings -> Players -> Historical CFC Ratings and Northern Issues.

John Cordes
                              Halifax

Comment

Working...
                              X