Qd6/c6 Scandinavian

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Qd6/c6 Scandinavian

I see Sergey Tiviakov has trotted out yet another Qd6/c6 Scandinavian at the 2014 COC, his 3rd already at this tournament. Perhaps Eric Hansen has some tricks in store for the world foremost Scandinavian expert (:

http://lavariante.ca/dgt_direct/coc/tfd.htm

Re: Qd6/c6 Scandinavian

It's too bad the live transmission was seemingly lost last night. It certainly appeared that Eric had nothing out of the opening. Moreover, Sergey had a large time advantage, not unexpected given it's an opening he plays over and over again. The final position now appears at 'Live games' but none of the moves to get to that position ):

Comment

A draw is probably the best black (Tiviakov) can expect when playing that defense against a very good GM like Eric Hansen.
      Gary Ruben
      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
        A draw is probably the best black (Tiviakov) can expect when playing that defense against a very good GM like Eric Hansen.
        I guess the 20 GMs that Tiviakov has beaten with this opening, including Gata Kamsky, weren't very good GMs (:

Comment

I could also add that GM Roman Dzindzichashvili can't be a very good GM since he's on record as saying that White should never play 1.e4 against a Qd6/c6 Scandinavian player if they need to play for a win (:

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Maguire View Post
            I could also add that GM Roman Dzindzichashvili can't be a very good GM since he's on record as saying that White should never play 1.e4 against a Qd6/c6 Scandinavian player if they need to play for a win (:
            Well if Tiviakov needed a win last night he didn't get it. That Scandinavian variation isn't a bust for 1. e4.
            Gary Ruben
            CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Well if Tiviakov needed a win last night he didn't get it. That Scandinavian variation isn't a bust for 1. e4.
              I never said nor implied it was, Gary. In fact, it's an extremely drawish line. I'm on record as saying that the first 26 times Tiviakov played his Scandinavian, he scored 5 wins, zero losses, and 21 draws. Nonetheless, some of those draws were against the likes of Anand, Grischuk, Kamsky, and Svidler. All in all, a rather commendable performance with the Black pieces, I'm sure you'd agree.

Comment

Sure I'd agree. The way Kramnik plays the Spanish Berlin when he wants a draw is also impressive.
                Gary Ruben
                CC - IA and SIM

Comment

We get to view a 4th Tiviakov Qd6/c6 Scandinavian today. This time against our own Razvan Preotu. Given the opening's drawish proclivity, perhaps Razvan will get his requisite draw for his IM norm (:

http://lavariante.ca/dgt_direct/coc/tfd.htm

Comment

I'll watch the game. Usually I only really watch one of the four games because it's easier to keep track of the variations with only 1. This event that's been Eric's games but the viewer has been quitting the last couple of days.
                    Gary Ruben
                    CC - IA and SIM

Comment

I'll watch the game. Usually I only really watch one of the four games because it's easier to keep track of the variations with only 1. This event that's been Eric's games but the viewer has been quitting the last couple of days.
                      Eric is playing Anton on board 4, Gary, so you might want to watch 2 games today (:

Comment

Hi Gary,

Sorry to disappoint you this tournament as my white pieces yielded no advantage. Was hoping I would face a Winawer but instead recieved a Berlin, A Najdorf, and a Taimanov, the three 'best' openings against e4 right now at top level. The Scandinavian isn't as scary because there are fewer losing chances compared to the other lines.

Well, gotta find something better before Olympiad starts.

Comment

Qd6/c6 Scandinavian

Originally posted by Eric Hansen View Post
                          Hi Gary,

Sorry to disappoint you this tournament as my white pieces yielded no advantage. Was hoping I would face a Winawer but instead recieved a Berlin, A Najdorf, and a Taimanov, the three 'best' openings against e4 right now at top level. The Scandinavian isn't as scary because there are fewer losing chances compared to the other lines.

Well, gotta find something better before Olympiad starts.
                          Hopefully, you didn't mis-understand Gary. The gamer viewer has had problems in a few rounds this event and your games were not visible. I also enjoy watching your games. We do appreciate the COCC providing those games in any event. Cheap and fun entertainment!

Comment

Hi Eric,

Your games are entertaining and I'm always hoping for you to win. You play some strong opponents so it's fun trying to figure out the lines while the game is being played.

Good luck with the Olympiad!
                            Gary Ruben
                            CC - IA and SIM

Comment

It's difficult to argue with 3/4 (2 wins and 2 draws) with Black. Perhaps Strategy Games had better stock up on Tiviakov's DVD (:

Comment

Working...
                              X