X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Board order

Originally posted by Andy Shaw View Post
    Let the CFC organize the event.
    That's the tough call - who is the CFC, and those persons who shall organize the event?

Comment

Let them be in charge of one event every two years. Merge it with the Kitchener Chess Festival. Or something like that.

Comment

Other than noting the general difference in chess culture between North America and a former Soviet republic I certainly don't claim to have the answers, but the following might be of some interest:

Women's chess in Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen Wright View Post
          Other than noting the general difference in chess culture between North America and a former Soviet republic I certainly don't claim to have the answers, but the following might be of some interest:

Women's chess in Canada
          Thanks for posting, Stephen.

Tangentially, your very name brings a smile to my face since I'm a huge fan of the humour of Steven Wright. By way of example, I proffer:

"In Vegas, I got into a long argument with the man at the roulette wheel over what I considered to be an odd number."

Comment

Coincidentally, this morning I found out I have a game posted at www.chessgames.com (the later one; I used to play in the CCCA, but 1935 is stretching things). The kibitzer field is filled entirely with jokes by my close namesake ...

Comment

Originally posted by Hal Bond View Post
              Women's Captain Youri Ochkoos has announced the Board order for the Women's Team.

1. Yuan Yuanling
              2. Khoudgarian Natalia
              3 .Botez Alexandra
              4. Zhou Qiyu
              5. Starr Nava.

I'd heard that teams were not allowed to flip the order of players if their ratings are more than 50 FIDE points apart. I just took a quick scan through the FIDE rules and didn't see any reference to such a rule. Is there one?

If so, then QZ would have to be on the bottom board (at least until after the Can Open/CoQ is rated)... even though it is probably better for the team if she's not, since that would give the captain the chance to pair her as White more often, where she scores much better.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Shaw View Post
                Or something like that.
                I think EZ's point is that the CFC is not in a position to order anyone to run an event if they don't want to, and there is not enough money to pay people to organize and finance an event at market rates, so the CFC is constantly stuck waiting for volunteers who will work at or near $0/hr.

I know the people who worked to run the 2013 CYCC/CO in Ottawa are still too burnt out to want to volunteer to run a big event for at least another year.

Maybe you know some people who would do the work?

Comment

Originally posted by John Upper View Post
                  I'd heard that teams were not allowed to flip the order of players if their ratings are more than 50 FIDE points apart. I just took a quick scan through the FIDE rules and didn't see any reference to such a rule. Is there one?

If so, then QZ would have to be on the bottom board (at least until after the Can Open/CoQ is rated)... even though it is probably better for the team if she's not, since that would give the captain the chance to pair her as White more often, where she scores much better.
                  I am sure we don't have this "50 points" rule. Last Olympiad Azerbaijan Team had Mamedyarov (around 2750) on board 3, while player on second board was around 2630 (Safarli).

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
                    At least they had the U20 championship. Canadian U20 hasn't been scheduled even :/
                    I believe this is a 1st since it became an annual event. I would suggest the Windsor group to simply include it as part of the CYCC next year. That leaves about 60 days before the start of the WJ.

Comment

Originally posted by Victor Plotkin View Post
                      I am sure we don't have this "50 points" rule. Last Olympiad Azerbaijan Team had Mamedyarov (around 2750) on board 3, while player on second board was around 2630 (Safarli).
                      This was a hot topic over 45 years ago. At the Lugano Olympiad in 1968, before the Swiss system was used, there were 7 preliminary groups of 8 counties with the top 2 in each group advancing to the A final, next 2 to the B final and so on. In those days the Olympics were considered a success for Canada if we made it to the A final, a failure otherwise. Each group had one very strong team, certain to finish first, then two teams which were likely to fight for second place. Canada was in a group which included Hungary, the inevitable winner, and Holland, with whom we fought for second place, successfully, but going down to the final adjourned game.
                      The interesting group was headed by the USSR, with England and Israel to fight for second place. But there was a remarkable result! In the last round England lost to the Philippines, who also finished ahead of Israel and advanced to the A final. Later it became obvious that the Phils stacked their team, playing their top two players on boards three and four. The strategy worked; against weaker teams they still won but against stronger teams they effectively saved their fire for where if would be most effective. No one noticed or said anything at the time (long before internet!) but it was noticed when at the next student championship two of their Lugano players appeared on boards 3 4.

I remember being told that as a result of those events FIDE passed a rule limiting the rating difference permissible for a lower rated player to play a higher board and I thought it was 100 points. But if that was true, what happened to the rule I have no idea. It may be that older versions of FIDE rules are not easy to trace.

Comment

Originally posted by Denis Allan View Post
                        This was a hot topic over 45 years ago. At the Lugano Olympiad in 1968... Later it became obvious that the Phils stacked their team, playing their top two players on boards three and four. The strategy worked...
                        Thanks for the info Denis.

I am surprised that FIDE now seems to allow teams to reverse-stack their board order like this, since it so obviously gives the kind of advantage you describe.

Comment

Working...
                        X