North American Junior Chess Championship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• North American Junior Chess Championship

Who do you think will win? My darkhorse pick is Edward Song.

Re: North American Junior Chess Championship

Given that Jason Cao, fresh off his outstanding 2450 TPR, IM norm performance in Montreal, is only the #11 seed (#10 on a 'live' rating basis), I would have to posit that there are plenty of dark horses in this group (:

One thing is abundantly clear. Youth is certainly being served here. Of the top 10 seeds (counting Jason as #10), all but 2 of the top 10 seeds are U16 and have another 4 to 6 Junior Championships to consider competing in.

I can only wonder if the two top 10 seeds playing in their final Junior year, the #4 seed Roman Sapozhnikov, and the #5 seed Michael Kleinman, aren't beginning to feel just a tad 'old' (:

Comment

Maybe we'll see another unrated player getting an IM title. Like this one: http://ratings.fide.com/card.phtml?event=5124247
      He won the U18 Panamerican Youth Chess Festival and with only 9 FIDE rated games he became an IM. I think FIDE should stop giving away titles without achieving the rating level for each title (GM≥2500, IM≥2400, WGM ≥2300, WIM≥2200).
      If this Mexican player decides to stop playing chess he'll be the only IM with a provisional rating. In my opinion the title should be awarded only after the player achieves the requested rating.

Comment

Originally posted by Rene Preotu View Post
        In my opinion the title should be awarded only after the player achieves the requested rating.
        A genius of an idea. I agree 100% with you Rene. A superb idea. Let the "IM title" at these tournaments count like 3 norms. When the player hits 2400 give him the IM title.

Comment

http://www.uschess.org/content/view/12742/770/ Article about Edward Song winning US Cadet.

Comment

I'm very pleased to see the two strongest BC juniors, Tanraj Sohal and Jason Cao enter this event.
            Paul Leblanc
            Treasurer Chess Foundation of Canada

Comment

Will there be live games?

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Shaw View Post
                Will there be live games?
                No live games.

Comment

Originally posted by Rene Preotu View Post
                  No live games.
                  That's a true disappointment. DGT boards can't be provided? Monroi devices can't be provided?

Comment

I can provide some round highlights with light annotations if there is demand for them.

Comment

Does it require players check in before round1 pairing? where to see pairing online? So less information of the event.:(

Comment

Originally posted by Jesse Wang View Post
                        I can provide some round highlights with light annotations if there is demand for them.
                        I would be interested. Are you playing in the event?

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Shaw View Post
                          I would be interested. Are you playing in the event?
                          I am not playing the event.

Originally posted by Robert Song View Post
                          Does it require players check in before round1 pairing? where to see pairing online? So less information of the event.:(
                          There was a players' meeting today. You should have checked in already as a result. If not, you should contact Patrick McDonald urgently. His phone number (according to the chessfest page is (519) 648-3253). Pairings will be posted online at the tournament's official website.
                          Last edited by Jesse Wang; Wednesday, 30th July, 2014, 10:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jesse Wang View Post
                            I am not playing the event.
                            Are you helping organize the event?

Comment

Working...
                            X