Nava Starr v. Pires fiasco now subject of Mato Jelic video

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nava Starr v. Pires fiasco now subject of Mato Jelic video

Quite an entertaining video, despite the unfortunate subject matter for our team.

http://youtu.be/LrniBOPLa6k?list=UUM...mj2N-faTWLwNig

Re: Nava Starr v. Pires fiasco now subject of Mato Jelic video

Originally posted by Michael Waldorf View Post
    Quite an entertaining video, despite the unfortunate subject matter for our team.

Thank you Michael -I really had a good laugh.
    Some comments were "cheap" but ..."should Black cry ?" was priceless :)

Comment

It could be worse : http://www.chessbomb.com/arena/2014-...Masiyazi_Rhoda

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Waldorf View Post

For those who dream of chess being a main stream sport, this is part of the territory. Reminds be of Jose Canseco, who hit so many towering home runs, but the one I remember the most is when he was playing right field and the ball bounced off his head and over the fence.

Comment

Yes!!
          Great material Nava. I just used this game to teach a few things to beginners... David and Goliath kind- of-story thrown in.
          Mario

Comment

Give Nava Starr a Break

Perhaps the critical posts on this and other threads on Nava Starr should be limited to those who have never blundered horribly in an important game?
            Whoops! That rules me out. I will say no more.

Comment

Re: Give Nava Starr a Break

Originally posted by Gordon Ritchie View Post
              Perhaps the critical posts on this and other threads on Nava Starr should be limited to those who have never blundered horribly in an important game?
              Why? Im sure any of us who have blundered have said plenty of bad things about our own play after doing so.

Further, she's representing Canada; that comes with some expectation of scrutiny.

Comment

Originally posted by David Ottosen View Post
                Why? Im sure any of us who have blundered have said plenty of bad things about our own play after doing so.

Further, she's representing Canada; that comes with some expectation of scrutiny.

Probably, it should be a border between scrutiny and disesteem.
                Nata Navodylo

Comment

At least Nava no longer has the shortest game of the Olympiad. There was a 3-move 'fool's mate' in R4 as featured on the 'Life in Zugzwang' blog of Frode Urkedel. Frode, an IM and 2012 Norway Champion, plays top board for the Norway 2 team which, amusingly, is ahead of the Norway 1 team who have them out-GMed 5 to zero (:

http://lifezugzwang.com/tromso-olympiad-recap-rd-5/
                  Last edited by Jack Maguire; Thursday, 7th August, 2014, 11:40 AM.

Comment

I'm a bit surprised by how well Norway has done- I guess Magnus has elevated the level of chess there beyond his personal performances, inspiring a generation of players. I wonder if that could ever happen here...

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Kurkowski View Post
                      I'm a bit surprised by how well Norway has done- I guess Magnus has elevated the level of chess there beyond his personal performances, inspiring a generation of players. I wonder if that could ever happen here...
                      Given what Anand clearly did for chess in India, and Magnus is evidently doing now for chess in Norway, I guess we just need our own World Champion (:

Comment

Further to my comment above- at the 1978 Olympiad in Buenos Aires (Hungary won followed by USSR and USA), Norway finished back in the pack- 31st. Canada finished 11th (!) ahead of, among others, Bulgaria, Netherlands, England, Yugoslavia (!), Cuba , China, and France all of whom have left us in the dust since. Food for thought for those who assume that Canada has always been a 'minnow' in the world chess aquarium.

Comment

Originally posted by Felix Dumont View Post
                          This is pretty fishy, has to be prearranged or something... right?

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Maguire View Post
                            At least Nava no longer has the shortest game of the Olympiad. There was a 3-move 'fool's mate' in R4 as featured on the 'Life in Zugzwang' blog of Frode Urkedel. Frode, an IM and 2012 Norway Champion, plays top board for the Norway 2 team which, amusingly, is ahead of the Norway 1 team who have them out-GMed 5 to zero (:

http://lifezugzwang.com/tromso-olympiad-recap-rd-5/
                            I am pretty sure I saw (somewhere) that there is an investigation of that game to see if it was pre-arranged... Perhaps it was a tweet from someone or a reply to a posting of the game somewhere... That would be monumentally stupid to jeopardize your team's existence by staging such a staggeringly obvious loss. In Nava's case, I have to believe it was a simple blunder likely caused by inattention or over confidence (elsewhere there was speculation that the 11 year old opponent 'sold' the Knight move to sort of trick Nava into reacting quickly - no idea if that is the case since I have not heard anything more about it (and likely we never will!)
                            ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
                              I am pretty sure I saw (somewhere) that there is an investigation of that game to see if it was pre-arranged... Perhaps it was a tweet from someone or a reply to a posting of the game somewhere... That would be monumentally stupid to jeopardize your team's existence by staging such a staggeringly obvious loss. In Nava's case, I have to believe it was a simple blunder likely caused by inattention or over confidence (elsewhere there was speculation that the 11 year old opponent 'sold' the Knight move to sort of trick Nava into reacting quickly - no idea if that is the case since I have not heard anything more about it (and likely we never will!)
                              I don't remember to see kids play like this. Also, I didn't find any other games of Esse, Akua Kosife beside the 41 Chess Olympiad.
                              Nata Navodylo

Comment

Working...
                              X