Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Give Nava Starr a Break

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
    I am pretty sure I saw (somewhere) that there is an investigation of that game to see if it was pre-arranged... Perhaps it was a tweet from someone or a reply to a posting of the game somewhere... That would be monumentally stupid to jeopardize your team's existence by staging such a staggeringly obvious loss. In Nava's case, I have to believe it was a simple blunder likely caused by inattention or over confidence (elsewhere there was speculation that the 11 year old opponent 'sold' the Knight move to sort of trick Nava into reacting quickly - no idea if that is the case since I have not heard anything more about it (and likely we never will!)
    I'm sure that Nava Starr's blunder was a true blunder. As Gordon Ritchie said, we've *all* had monumental blunders at times. (King's can take?? Who knew??)

The "fool's mate", my first thought was that it was fishy. The player was allegedly rated 1500. That's well beyond Fool's Mate. We're not talking about a player who doesn't know what Checkmate is.

Steve

Comment

Re: Give Nava Starr a Break

I recently lost a casual blitz game in eight moves myself, though in a relatively unfamiliar opening (and after some drinks). I had just bought a book on the King's Gambit, though the problem may have been that it was over 600 pages, without much touching on typical themes or cheapos. It even claimed it gave the refutation to the Bishop's Gambit. Perhaps Nava also was playing a line she was unfamiliar with.

[Event "Palsson beer blitz"]
      [Site "Ottawa"]
      [Date "2014.07.23"]
      [Round ""]
      [White "Pacey Kevin"]
      [Black "Collins Christian"]
      [Result "0-1"]
      [ECO "C33"]
      [WhiteElo "2207"]
      [BlackElo "2200"]
      [Annotator ""]
      [Source ""]
      [Remark ""]

1.e4 e5 2.f4 exf4 3.Bc4 Nf6 4.e5 d5 5.Bb5 c6 6.Be2 Ne4 7.d3 Qh4 8.Kf1 Qf2 0-1
      Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
      Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Comment

Working...
      X