Mississauga October Standard - October 19, 2014 ( Sunday )

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mississauga October Standard - October 19, 2014 ( Sunday )

FIDE RULES OF COMPETITION: http://www/fide.com/component/handbo...4&view=article
    Article 4: The act of moving the pieces
    4.1 Each move must be made with one hand only.
    4.2 Provided that he first expresses his intention (for example by saying j’adoube or adjust), the player having the move may adjust one or more pieces on their squares.
    4.3 Except as provided in Article 4.2, if the player having the move deliberately touches on the chessboard:
    a. one or more of his own pieces, he must move the first piece touched which can be moved.
    b. one or more of his opponent’s pieces, he must capture the first piece touched which can be captured.
    c. one piece of each color, he must capture the opponent’s piece with his piece or. If it is illegal, move or capture the first piece touched which can be moved or captured. If it is unclear, whether the player’s own piece or his opponent’s was touched first, the player’s own piece shall be considered to have been touched before his opponent’s.
    4.6 When, as a legal move or part of a legal move, a piece has been released on a square, it cannot be moved to another square on this move. The move is then considered to have been made.

Article 6: The chess clock
    A.4.d.1. The flag is considered to have fallen when a player has made a claim to that effect. The arbiter shall refrain from signaling a flag fall, but he may do so if both flags have fallen.
    2. To claim a win on time, the claimant must stop both clocks and notify the arbiter. For a claim to be successful, the claimant’s flag must remain up and his opponent’s flag down after the clock has been stopped.
    3. If both flags have fallen as described in (1) and (2), the arbiter shall declare the game drawn.

Article 7: Irregularities
    7.4.a If during a game it is found that an illegal move, including failing to meet the requirements of the
    promotion or capturing the opponent’s king has been completed, the position immediately before the
    irregularity shall be reinstated.
    b. After the action taken under Article 7.4.a, for the first two illegal moves by a player, the arbiter shall
    give two minutes extra time to his opponent’s in each instance, for the third illegal move by the same player, the arbiter shall declare the game lost by this player.

Article 8: The recording of the moves
    8.1 In the course of the play each player is required to record his own moves and those of his opponent in the correct manner, move by move as clearly and legibly as possible in the score sheet prescribed for the competition. It is forbidden to write the moves in advance, unless the player is claiming a draw. A player may reply to his opponent’s move before recording it, if he so wishes, he must record his previous move before making another. Both players must record the offer of a draw on the score sheet.
    8.4 If a player has less than five minutes left on his clock at some stage in a period and does not have additional time of 30 seconds or more added with each move, then for the remainder of the period he is not obliged to meet the requirements of Article 8.1.

Article 12: Conduct of the players
    12.3.b Without the permission of the arbiter a player is forbidden to have mobile phone or other electronic means of communication in the playing venue, unless they are completely switched off. If any such device produces a sound, the player shall lose the game. The opponent shall win. The playing venue is defined as the playing area, rest rooms, refreshment area, area set aside for smoking and other placed designated by the arbiter.

Prizes and Trophies.
    Prizes will be shared equally among players with similar number of points and trophies will be decided who gets the best tiebreak. Tiebreaks are as follows: 1. Head to head 2.Modified Median 3. Solkoff 4. Cumulative Score & 5. Opposition Cumulative Score.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	20141018_202448.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	185774Click image for larger version

Name:	20141018_204313.jpg
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	185775Click image for larger version

Name:	20141018_201741.jpg
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	185776

We are all set for tomorrow. Registration starts at 8.15am to 9.15am so please come in early for round one to begin on time. Please come and get your name card as per the photo attached and then proceed to make the payment to Paul R and Ferdinand S. There are more than 80 players in the list and therefore we would appreciate that if possible please come in earlier rather than all the players come in at 9am.

Round 1 begins at 9.30 am.

If you have e mail us by 11.59pm tonight, it will still count and early entry. Once past that time, it will be counted as late entry and the $ 5 kicks in.

Good luck to all participants and have a good time. Do give us feedback for us to improve our tournament.

By the way, another FM just registered late and total Masters we have are 9......this is very exciting time for us to have you guys participating and thank you in advance. This means a lot to us.

Cheers to Chess in Canada

Gary Hua

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	20141018_202053.jpg
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	185777Click image for larger version

Name:	20141018_202448.jpg
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	185774Click image for larger version

Name:	20141018_204313.jpg
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	185775Click image for larger version

Name:	20141018_201741.jpg
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	185776

We are all set for tomorrow. Registration starts at 8.15am to 9.15am so please come in early for round one to begin on time. Please come and get your name card as per the photo attached and then proceed to make the payment to Paul R and Ferdinand S. There are more than 80 players in the list and therefore we would appreciate that if possible please come in earlier rather than all the players come in at 9am.

Round 1 begins at 9.30 am.

If you have e mail us by 11.59pm tonight, it will still count as early entry. Once past that time, it will be counted as late entry and the $ 5 kicks in.

Good luck to all participants and have a good time. Do give us feedback for us to improve our next tournament.

By the way, another FM just registered late and total Masters we have are 9......this is very exciting time for us to have you guys participating and thank you in advance. This means a lot to us.

Cheers to Chess in Canada

Gary Hua
        Last edited by Gary Hua; Saturday, 18th October, 2014, 10:54 PM.

Comment

My 2cts:

The team of organizers did their best. Wish that players were more collaborative and showed up early for registration and start R1 on time.

A time control (60min) is too short to look around during the game; only concentration on your own game. The lack of the increment ruined several games. Example my last round opponent lost on time in an unclear position; R5 B2 was a classical disaster when White banged a flag in White R vs Black R+p. Hugh S., did you post a video online? :)

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
            My 2cts:

The team of organizers did their best. Wish that players were more collaborative and showed up early for registration and start R1 on time.

A time control (60min) is too short to look around during the game; only concentration on your own game. The lack of the increment ruined several games. Example my last round opponent lost on time in an unclear position; R5 B2 was a classical disaster when White banged a flag in White R vs Black R+p. Hugh S., did you post a video online? :)
            Hi Egis,

Thanks for highlighting the problems that cropped up yesterday. We will take note of the concerns and try to improve the tournament in the future. We are still very new in organizing tournament and still in the learning curve. We welcome any feedbacks to improve further. What happened in the R5 B2 is unfortunate and we will look into it and try to prevent it from happen again.

Same time, I would like to take this opportunity to thank all the players for coming to play in this tournament. We greatly appreciated it as without your participation, this tournament will not be a success. I would also like to thank all the Titled players who came to support this tournament. I would like to thank Mississauga Chess Club, Paul R, Ferdinand S ( TD ), Bob Gillanders and all the volunteers in helping to set up and clear up after the event and making this tournament possible. It is certainly not easy to hold a tournament and it is definitely mentally and physically exhausting. Having said that, it is definitely encouraging to hear that players had a good time playing in the tournament and giving a pat on our shoulders. There were joys and tears after each round. At the end, there were winners and losers and I am sure, many players made friends during the tournament and players had valuable lessons after the tournament.

Summary of the tournament and statistics. We had out 1st edition in March, 2nd edition in May and 3rd edition in Oct this year ( 2014 )

1. # of players - 30 ( Mar ), 60 ( May ), 82 ( Oct ). It exceeds our expectation of 80 players
            2. Prize fund - $ 700 ( Mar, $ 1k ( May ), $ 1.8k ( Oct ) $$$+ trophies. We had a payout of close to 72% of the entry fees vs our expectation of 70% payout.
            3. We had 9 titled players playing and definitely honored that you guys support this tournament. We hope you will continue to support this tournament.
            4. We had at least about 10 new CFC members in this tournament which brings in $$$ to CFC coffers.
            5. We had quite a number of juniors playing in their first tournament and I hope that it will be a springboard for them in future.
            6. Scholastic section was merged into U-1200 due to lack of participants which we regret. Only 3 players turned up in the scholastic section. We will take this into consideration for our future tournament.

All in all, I would like to think that the tournament is a success despite a few flaws which had been highlighted above and we definitely will try to rectify the problem.

We will post a videos/photos of the tournament shortly. The photos of the winners too.

Next tournament will be next year ( if everything goes as planned ). Till then, thanks and see you guys again

Gary Hua

Comment

I have the video clip, I'm going to post it on Facebook when I get the chance. Do you know if I could also post it on here for others to see? Or perhaps some other site. Hmmm maybe I'll set up a YouTube account.

Comment

SD/60 proved to be quite a disaster for me, particularly since last weekend I was getting SD/90 + INC/30'' + 30' on move 40.

The quality of the games were generally of a poorer quality and I made some really bad decisions. I threw away a win in the last round when I dropped the winning passed pawn in one move for nothing. I don't think I can play without an increment again; that is unless it's a blitz, rapid, or active event. A 2300 performance last weekend, a 1700 performance this weekend. Yes, I think I like the longer time controls better!

Also, if you're having a bad day you can shed a lot of points with 4 games in succession. There's not much you can do to break out of the funk and forget the bad games you just played.

Comment

Working...
                X