Indonesian women's chess team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indonesian women's chess team

The Indonesian women's chess team is certainly having an excellent Olympiad (albeit they did lose to the prohibitive favourite, China, in R5). I'm impressed with the youth of their team (birth years of 1992, 1997, 1995, 1994, and 2000 in descending board order) and the fact that they obviously got such incredible support from the Indonesian Chess Federation. The team evidently trained for a full 6 months with 4 trainers for this Olympiad.

http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2...-olympiad.html

Re: Indonesian women's chess team

I notice that the 'oldie' on the team, and now Indonesia's top board, Irene Kharisma (great name!) Sukandar, is quite the Olympiad veteran. She played her 1st Olympiad in 2004 at the age of 12!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irine_Kharisma_Sukandar

Imho, the CFC could well learn some apposite lessons from Percasi (I believe this is the name of the Indonesian Chess Federation). We should be nurturing our top young
    female talents in precisely the same fashion.

Comment

Re: Indonesian women's chess team

I now note that all 5 members of the Indonesian women's team played their 1st Olympiad between the ages of 12 and 14. The #2 board, Medina Warda Aulia, just turned 17 last month and is playing in her 3rd Olympiad. The #3 board, Chelsie Monica Ignesias Sihite, 18, is also playing her 3rd Olympiad. The #4 board, Dewi Ardhiani Anastasia Citra, now 20, is playing her 4th Olympiad. And the 5th board, Ummi Fisabilillah, 14, is playing her 2nd Olympiad. Talk about a quintet of young veterans!

Canada had the good sense 2 years ago to include a 13-year-old on their 2012 Olympiad team, Jackie Peng, who played the #2 board and was by far Canada's top performer with 6/9, earning herself a WFM title. That didn't seem to matter to this year's selection committee since Jackie wasn't even judged good enough to play the #5 board. Gff to keep it succinct (:

Comment

Re : Re: Indonesian women's chess team

Qiyu Zhou (the committee choice) has a FIDE rating 94 points higher than Jackie Peng, in addition to being two years younger. While I agree it would have been nice to see Jackie at the Olympiads, I hardly see how we can criticize the committee for choosing Qiyu.

Comment

Re: Re : Re: Indonesian women's chess team

Originally posted by Felix Dumont View Post
          Qiyu Zhou (the committee choice) has a FIDE rating 94 points higher than Jackie Peng, in addition to being two years younger. While I agree it would have been nice to see Jackie at the Olympiads, I hardly see how we can criticize the committee for choosing Qiyu.
          I'd be a fool if I criticized that selection, Felix. I'm obviously promoting the inclusion of our top young females and Qiyu Zhou clearly fills that bill. I'm only critical of the inclusion of the two women who played the minimum 10 games (a ridiculously low number, imho, and I'd immediately change it to at least 30). Neither, once again strictly imho, should be blocking the progress of our younger players. I'd love to see us follow the Indonesian paradigm.

Comment

Working...
          X