Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Statement from Kirsan Ilyumzhinov

Dear Friends, Dear Chess Enthusiasts!

Yesterday, I was re-elected as President of FIDE. 110 countries voted for me and I am grateful for their support. Now we have a lot of work ahead of us, and it will affect not only federations and professional chess players, because chess is more than federations: it’s over 500 million people around the world who play chess and respect its values – educational benefits, strategic thinking, intelligence and will to win.

In the next 4 years I plan to see chess complete its transformation from a centuries-old game into a modern and exciting sport and a strong educational platform. Chess is already installed on more than a billion devices – smartphones and computers. It’s a golden age for chess.

What are the chess fans to expect in the near future? An exciting World Championship match between Magnus Carlsen and Vishy Anand will take place in Sochi in November of 2014, and for the first time FIDE will put a lot of effort in making sure that it’s represented in social networks as well as on TV and online. You will be able to follow the match and witness how the greatest chess players prepare for the games and see each other, all via your mobile device and your favorite social network.

We have also developed and will provide federations with an innovative ‘chess in schools’ solution that includes a unique chess schoolbook with hundreds of illustrations, an interactive technology, ways to design the chess classrooms and other educational devices that will help children fall in love with chess. As always, I will be working with federations and country leaders to ensure that chess is becoming part of the school curriculum in the countries around the world.

Chess is a sport, and I will continue my efforts to include it in the Olympic family. Many countries already support chess as part of the Winter Olympic Games and I hope that soon chess will be an Olympic sport.

Chess is one of the most democratic sports, available to all. It does not require expensive equipment. Our job is to make it even more accessible in all counties, including the poorest regions of the world. It’s well known that chess fosters development of intellect, strategic and math skills – those that in turn foster economic prosperity of nations. In 2012 and 2013, I visited over a hundred countries. I am moved by the volume of invitations and intend to continue visiting countries as President of FIDE. In each country I try to work with ministries of education and sport to help with chess tournaments and develop ‘Chess in Schools programs’.

Working together with Federations, chess players and fans, we aim to make chess even more attractive for sponsors and partners whose values relate to those that a synonymous with chess. In this Presidential election, I had a formidable opponent – Garry Kasparov, the 13th World Chess Champion. Despite the contention, I told him and that’s what I believe: those who value and love chess are my friends. Therefore, I consider hundreds of millions of chess enthusiasts around the

FIDE President

Kirsan Ilyumzhinov

Re: Statement from Kirsan Ilyumzhinov

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
    What are the chess fans to expect in the near future? An exciting World Championship match between Magnus Carlsen and Vishy Anand will take place in Sochi in November of 2014, and for the first time FIDE will put a lot of effort in making sure that it’s represented in social networks as well as on TV and online.
    What has he been doing the past twenty years....?

Comment

For the first time they will be putting a lot of effort into using social networks! I wonder if Kirsan started up a MySpace page?

Comment

"Therefore, I consider hundreds of millions of chess enthusiasts around the"

Transmission interrupted?

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Shaw View Post
          What has he been doing the past twenty years....?
          Andy, my good man, he was salting away the million dollars a year
          to make the imaginary "20 million dollars" he was to produce to sway
          the greedy thumb-sucking squawling hungries yesterday!

Verily the Good Book hath said,
          "He who is last shall be first, and he who is first, shall be cursed!"

Comment

Originally posted by Joel Stainer View Post
            For the first time they will be putting a lot of effort into using social networks! I wonder if Kirsan started up a MySpace page?
            His FB fan T-shirts available here:
            https://www.facebook.com/thealienabduction

Comment

Maybe the aliens took the 20 million dollars?

Comment

Maybe the aliens took the 20 million dollars?
                You're putin' me on!

Comment

Originally posted by Alan Baljeu View Post
                  "Therefore, I consider hundreds of millions of chess enthusiasts around the"

Transmission interrupted?

No, the microchip that the aliens substituted for his brain only had 16K of RAM. That's all they choose to spare for the likes of us.
                  Only the rushing is heard...
                  Onward flies the bird.

Comment

I wonder if Kirsan started up a MySpace page?
                    That is truly funny, JS!

Comment

Working...
                    X