"prodigy"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "prodigy"

I'm happy to see this local chess news item made the sports pages of 'The Williams Lake Tribune' but I really wish the unnamed writer had refrained from the use of the word "prodigy". It seems every young child chess player gets that moniker handed to him/her these days even though less than 1% of the so-called prodigies are truly that. Suffice it to say that the 12th seed in an U12 event can never be a prodigy beforehand. And if you finish in a 11 way tie for 5th-15th with a TPR more than 300 points below your rating, you're clearly not a true prodigy. That said, I do hope Kai Richardson becomes as famous as some of Williams Lake's more renown residents, amongst them, Rick Hansen, Carey Price, and Trevor Mack (:

http://www.wltribune.com/sports/271091421.html

Re: "prodigy"

The sports writer's name is Greg Sabantino. I think he used the label "Lakecity chess prodigy" for the small community here. There is no chess to speak of in this area.
    Greg has been really great promoting chess and the small club that Kai and and 2 others, Rob Hamm and Ken Mitchell, attend regularly.
    It is slowly picking up largely due to Kai and Greg Sabantino.
    There have and are some great community builders in this region.
    Tomorrow we're booking a room at the public library were we'll be holding William's Lake's first chess tournament.

Kai knows he didn't do well in the CYCC but thanks for pointing it out.

Here is a link to his website.
    http://kaichess.homestead.com/
    Last edited by Scott Richardson; Wednesday, 13th August, 2014, 06:26 PM.

Comment

CYCC is often an occasion for pleasant and unpleasant surprises. I don't think that anyone reads too much into a single performance there. Kai has been to the world youth and performed reasonably well there as I recall.

Comment

I'm glad to see Kai getting some good press. Kai is an exceptional young player and most importantly, he is a good kid. He comes from a very supportive and kind family, Scott and Aki.

It is always encouraging to see young people and their families give back to the chess community by sharing their talent and love for the game with others. All the best to Kai and his family and the other Williams Lake organizers on their tournament tomorrow!
        Last edited by Victoria Jung-Doknjas; Wednesday, 13th August, 2014, 08:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Richardson View Post
          The sports writer's name is Greg Sabantino. I think he used the label "Lakecity chess prodigy" for the small community here. There is no chess to speak of in this area.
          Greg has been really great promoting chess and the small club that Kai and and 2 others, Rob Hamm and Ken Mitchell, attend regularly.
          It is slowly picking up largely due to Kai and Greg Sabantino.
          There have and are some great community builders in this region.
          Tomorrow we're booking a room at the public library were we'll be holding William's Lake's first chess tournament.

Kai knows he didn't do well in the CYCC but thanks for pointing it out.

Here is a link to his website.
          http://kaichess.homestead.com/
          Thanks for the link, Scott. Given my earlier (Paul Tomaino thread) Thoreauvian comment, you can well imagine I'm almost envious of your life style. By no means did I mean to diminish the accomplishments of your son, Kai. To be a Class A (1800 - 1999) player by the age of 11 is certainly impressive, especially considering the lack of quality opposition in Williams Lake as detailed at Kai's blog. Since you've posted here, I'm curious as to why Kai is taking a 2 month hiatus from the game?

Comment

His hiatus ended today. The Olympiad did it.

Victoria, our 1st Annual Lakecity Chess Tournament is being held on October 18th. We confirmed the space at the W.L. public library today. I'll post the details next week. We'll try and get the prize fund to cover your return gas fare up here

http://aki-and-scott-fireweed.blogspot.ca/
            Last edited by Scott Richardson; Thursday, 14th August, 2014, 09:32 PM.

Comment

Victoria, our 1st Annual Lakecity Chess Tournament is being held on October 18th. We confirmed the space at the W.L. public library today. I'll post the details next week. We'll try and get the prize fund to cover your return gas fare up here

http://aki-and-scott-fireweed.blogspot.ca/
              Game ON! ;)

Comment

our 1st Annual Lakecity Chess Tournament is being held on October 18th. We confirmed the space at the W.L. public library today. I'll post the details next week. We'll try and get the prize fund to cover your return gas fare up here
                Scott, the CFC has a program to support local tournaments in remote locations. It dates back to 1978, but for the last 7 years since I have been involved with the CFC, I have never seen anyone apply for a LTIP grant.
                It could mean an easy $75 to support your tournament. :)
                With all the strings attached, maybe it is not worth the effort. Let us know what you think. Maybe it is time to either update it or eliminate the LTIP.

Here is the relevant handbook section:

1404. Local Tournament Incentive Program (LTIP)

A maximum expenditure of $750.00 per year is authorized for a Local Tournament Incentive Program (LTIP). Half is to be on a first-come first-serve basis, and the other half to be divided in accordance with CFC membership revenue (last fiscal year) by province. As approved by the Executive, under this program small centres (less than 75,000 population (as of 1976 census), and more than 25 miles from a centre with more than 75,000 population), could receive $75 for a weekend open Swiss tournament with the following conditions:

a) application for assistance received by the CFC Business Office three months before the start of the event (this enables item b);

b) the event must be advertised in the magazine;

c) all participants in the event must be CFC members.

d) if the population of the small centre is above 50,000, it has not had an Open CFC-rated weekend Swiss tournament during the last 12 months.

e) disbursement of the grant will be as reimbursement for receipts for expenditures made by the organizers for advertizing, playing site rental or any related expense which the business office considers acceptable. [see Motion 90-7; GL, January 1990, p. 3-10]

All tournaments supported under this program will be signified LTIP in the Coming Events section of the magazine.

[created by Motion 79-1; GL, July 1978, p. 1, amended by Motion 83-13; September 1982, p. 1-9, and further amended by Motion 90-7; GL, January 1990, p. 3-10]

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
                  Scott, the CFC has a program to support local tournaments in remote locations. It dates back to 1978, but for the last 7 years since I have been involved with the CFC, I have never seen anyone apply for a LTIP grant.
                  It could mean an easy $75 to support your tournament. :)
                  With all the strings attached, maybe it is not worth the effort. Let us know what you think. Maybe it is time to either update it or eliminate the LTIP.
                  Bob

I think if the CFC wants new members here it could offer a one time membership in the CFC at 1/2 price for one year to all participants, give that money to our club to go towards prize money, trophies etc...
                  Based on 20 - 30 participants that would come to about, $375 - $525.
                  Last edited by Scott Richardson; Friday, 15th August, 2014, 07:45 PM. Reason: a term

Comment

Scott, I would be willing to approach the BCCF on your behalf to see if they would make a contribution to your event. The budget that was passed at the AGM in May contained a line item "support to local chess $300" and getting some chess activity in the north is a very worthwhile initiative in my opinion. Send me an e-mail.
                    Paul Leblanc
                    Treasurer Chess Foundation of Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Leblanc View Post
                      Scott, I would be willing to approach the BCCF on your behalf to see if they would make a contribution to your event. The budget that was passed at the AGM in May contained a line item "support to local chess $300" and getting some chess activity in the north is a very worthwhile initiative in my opinion. Send me an e-mail.
                      Thanks again Paul. Bob Gillanders asked for my thoughts. I'm waiting for a response. Respectfully.

Comment

Thanks again Paul. Bob Gillanders asked for my thoughts. I'm waiting for a response. Respectfully.
                        Thanks for your comments Scott. It would appear you are not interested in making an application under the LTIP program. This doesn’t surprise me, it is a lot of hoops to jump thru for $75. Nobody else has applied to the LTIP program for many years. My point is that the CFC should either update the program or abandon it. I favour updating the program, but I will leave that decision to the politicians.

An updated LTIP program is a preferred solution to the chaos of the CFC trying to sponsor any specific clubs or tournaments. Obviously that would be a financial and political nightmare scenario. So for now anyway, the only financial assistance available from CFC would be under the existing LTIP program.

Best wishes for a successful tournament. I am very encouraged whenever I see organizers bringing chess to remote areas. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
                          Thanks for your comments Scott. It would appear you are not interested in making an application under the LTIP program. This doesn’t surprise me, it is a lot of hoops to jump thru for $75. Nobody else has applied to the LTIP program for many years. My point is that the CFC should either update the program or abandon it. I favour updating the program, but I will leave that decision to the politicians.

An updated LTIP program is a preferred solution to the chaos of the CFC trying to sponsor any specific clubs or tournaments. Obviously that would be a financial and political nightmare scenario. So for now anyway, the only financial assistance available from CFC would be under the existing LTIP program.

Best wishes for a successful tournament. I am very encouraged whenever I see organizers bringing chess to remote areas. Thank you.
                          Thank you for bringing this up.
                          I was not considering asking for support from the CFC. After you brought it up, which was enlightening because I thought you were joking with me, I began to believe that together with the CFC we could build something here in not so rural B.C. Canada.
                          It sure would be easy if the CFC supported chess outside of the major centres.

I've worked with non profit organizations for a good part of my working life in music, theatre, film and martial arts. One knows there are deep
                          problems with a not for profit organization when it won't support it's grass roots.

Comment

Shelby Lyman uses a less common noun (albeit the adjective is certainly prevalent) to describe Bobby Fischer (:

http://www.vnews.com/lifetimes/13129...hing-precocity

Comment

It sure would be easy if the CFC supported chess outside of the major centres.
                              Scott, the CFC does not support chess in major centres to any greater extent than it does in rural centres.
                              The CFC provides a rating system, an electronic newsletter, a website (including free tournament and club advertising), a discussion board, national championships, and access to FIDE services. All on an equal footing, big cities vs. rural communities.

Of course, rural communities face a greater challenge. The CFC recognizes this fact, and did develop the LTIP grants. It needs to be updated to be relevant. I wonder when the last time it was utilized.

If you wish to argue that the CFC should do more to promote the grass roots in remote communities, I agree. But not everyone would agree, and there are severe limited resources to fight over.

You have experience with not for profits and the rural communities needs a champion. Maybe that could be you. You could start by petitioning your local CFC governor to update the LTIP program.
                              Last edited by Bob Gillanders; Sunday, 17th August, 2014, 12:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X