my matches at the Olympiad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my matches at the Olympiad

Hi chess fans, here's the list of the matches that I was assigned to at this Olympiad. If you have any curious questions about any of them, feel free to ask. It's a long story, but it's now gonna take me 3 days from now to actually get home to Ottawa, so I should have plenty of chances to respond while waiting somewhere (lol) :

Round 1 - Open Section - Match 4 - Zambia(0)-France(4)
    Round 2 - Open Section - Match 4 - France(4)-Mongolia(0)
    Round 3 - Open Section - Match 4 - Germany(2)-England(2)
    Round 4 - Women Section - Match 2* - Norway(1)-CzechRepublic(3)
    Round 5 - Open Section - Match 4 - China(2)-Netherlands(2)
    Round 6 - Open Section - Match 4 - Cuba(3.5)-Kazakhstan(.5)
    Round 7 - Open Section - Match 4 - Serbia(.5)-China(3.5)
    Round 8 - Women Section - Match 2* - Turkey(1.5)-Norway(2.5)
    Round 9 - Women Section - Match 1 - Armenia(1.5)-Russia(2.5)
    Round 10 - Open Section - Match 3* - Croatia(3.5)-Norway(.5)
    Round 11 - Open Section - Match 3* - Norway(4)-Malaysia(0)

(*) Note Open-3 and Women-2 were pseudo-board numbers, to ensure that Norway was always televised.

Re: my matches at the Olympiad

I think this qualifies you to work the Ottawa CMA monthly children's tournaments starting next month. :)

Comment

Congratulations Aris on your fantastic job! It was great to see you in all those incriminating photos posted by Andrei. :p

Could you please tell your impressions about this match:
      Originally posted by Aris Marghetis View Post
      Round 9 - Women Section - Match 1 - Armenia(1.5)-Russia(2.5)
      By that time, Russia was already leading China by two match points due to the direct encounter win, but China was trashing France in Rd 9 - how was Russian team reacting during the match, did it affect their strategy?

Above all, have a safe trip back home to Canada and try to use whatever stopovers you make to get rid of the effects of that 24-hour daylight! :)

Comment

Aris, all the stories on Kurt Meier's death yesterday (see sample below) indicate he died midgame. His son's game, right beside him, was also seemingly in progress. It's entirely possible boards 3 and 4 were also still in progress. The results, however, indicate wins for the 2 Meiers and losses for Seychelles boards 3 & 4. Were these mutually agreed upon results?

Kurt Meier, 67, a candidate-master from the Seychelles, was playing second board against a player from Rwanda in the 11th and final round of the event when he collapsed from what was later described as a heart attack, according to an article on the Seychelles News Agency website. His 29-year-old son, Peter, was sitting next to him, playing first board, according to the Chess News website.

Read more: http://www.digitaljournal.com/news/w...#ixzz3ATOKW8xH

Comment

Chessgames.com is showing Kurt Meier's final game as a draw but chess.results.com shows it as a win for Kurt. Given Kurt couldn't possibly have agreed to a draw I'm guessing there were 4 resignations instead to generate the split team point.

http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1771703

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Maguire View Post
            Chessgames.com is showing Kurt Meier's final game as a draw but chess.results.com shows it as a win for Kurt. Given Kurt couldn't possibly have agreed to a draw I'm guessing there were 4 resignations instead to generate the split team point.

http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1771703
            Jack, I don't know what decisions were made about these results, but I think one could infer that a respectful agreement was reached away from the boards. However, I'm not sure, so if I hear anything, I'll come back and post that information here. I was standing beside the VIP exit when it happened (watching Canadian women), and I was almost instantly swarmed by a wave of people exiting quickly. As I had already finished my match, I kept going with it, and went to the nearby hotels to look for Organizers with more info, to pass on any true info, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Vadim Tsypin View Post
              Congratulations Aris on your fantastic job! It was great to see you in all those incriminating photos posted by Andrei. :p

Could you please tell your impressions about this match:

By that time, Russia was already leading China by two match points due to the direct encounter win, but China was trashing France in Rd 9 - how was Russian team reacting during the match, did it affect their strategy?

Above all, have a safe trip back home to Canada and try to use whatever stopovers you make to get rid of the effects of that 24-hour daylight! :)
              Hi Vadim, thanks for the kind words! And I'm taking your advice, enjoying stopovers in Oslo and New York on the way back. Oslo really surprised me today, as it is WAY more multicultural than I had expected. I have a nice little room tonight in a party area of downtown, and I'm really enjoying the sounds and smells wafting up. Tomorrow, I get to ride the express train to the out-of-town international airport, and hope to sleep a lot on the planes home!

Regarding the Armenia-Russia Round 9 match, I hope these recollections are accurate, as it's well after midnight here after an evening of food and beverage, so kinda tired. In a nutshell, I don't believe that Russia really cared what was happening in the other matches. I do recall though that Board 1 was a sharp game where Armenian GM Danielian kept swinging at Russian GM Lagno. It momentarily looked like to me that Lagno could hold, but then the 40-move time pressure came into play, and I thought that suited Danielian better, at least on this day. There was finally a not-too-complicated skewer tactic that would have won a piece for Danielian, which made Lagno resign. In her defence, Lagno had been pressed for most of the game, and Danielian jacked up that intensity during the time scramble. It wasn't a complete surprise that break happened. After the game, Lagno seemed quite upset, on the verge of tears. She sat in her chair for several minutes, and I didn't know if she meant to be, but she was the only player who was less than polite to me on her way out. Maybe she was too upset to see anyone.

Anyway, that result was the first one of the match, and it was beautiful to see how it galvanized the rest of the Russian team! I believe that one of the reasons they did so well was how effectively they reacted to their number 1 losing quickly and dramatically. The remaining three games finished 0.5-2.5, in Russia's favour. For the life of me, I cannot remember those games now, but I'll try looking them up tomorrow or something, to see if that jogs my memory. Regardless, this match was a fine display by the Russian women's team on how to effectively react to adversity. "Kateryna got bombed first? No problem, we'll adjust and get that point back and more." And they did!

Vadim, is this the kind of impression you were looking for? Good night soon, I'll prolly see replies only tomorrow.

Comment

Yes, Aris, this is exactly the stuff I was curious to learn, thanks for the fascinating account! Unlike in other sports, online broadcasts of team chess events don't let us viewers to fully experience the human drama behind each match, although with brilliant commentary from Susan Polgar we now get much deeper look into the chess side. You were in the thick of things, and you managed to tell it in a way that made us feel we were there, too.

Well, congratulations to Russian women for thriving on adversity. Saving this Rd 9 match that you refereed, and bouncing back in Rd 11 after a highly charged loss to Ukraine certainly required a lot of character and cohesiveness in the team. I think that winning three titles in a row is really an amazing feat in modern times. The huge success of Team China - along with a relative underperformance of Armenia, Russia and the U.S. - in the Open section might be a sign of "parity" that becomes new normal, like in Gary Bettman's NHL. Maybe in ten years' time we'll look back at those women's teams from Russia as the last "dynasty"?

Oslo really surprised me today, as it is WAY more multicultural than I had expected.
                Very interesting. This spring, we were in Winnipeg for the CMA's Canadian Chess Challenge and it was such a pleasant surprise. I used to travel to Winnipeg in 1996-97, and at the time it seemed to have just two major population groups. Now it felt like a truly multicultural Canadian city, on par with Montreal and Toronto, vibrant and self-confident.

Thanks again, good morning :) and be safe on the train and planes!
                Last edited by Vadim Tsypin; Friday, 15th August, 2014, 09:57 PM. Reason: typos

Comment

Originally posted by Vadim Tsypin View Post

Well, congratulations to Russian women for thriving on adversity. Saving this Rd 9 match that you refereed, and bouncing back in Rd 11 after a highly charged loss to Ukraine certainly required a lot of character and cohesiveness in the team. I think that winning three titles in a row is really an amazing feat in modern times. The huge success of Team China - along with a relative underperformance of Armenia, Russia and the U.S. - in the Open section might be a sign of "parity" that becomes new normal, like in Gary Bettman's NHL. Maybe in ten years' time we'll look back at those women's teams from Russia as the last "dynasty"?

Just a quick reply (the wakeup call never came lol) :

I agree this is a very impressive run by the Russian woman, and I don't know that it will change soon. You see, they appear to be a young hungry competitive bunch who care how they defend or let down their team. I don't like betting on chess, but if I did for the next Olympiad, I would have to put my money on them to win again.

OK, gotta run, all the best, Aris.

Comment

Jack, I don't know what decisions were made about these results, but I think one could infer that a respectful agreement was reached away from the boards. However, I'm not sure, so if I hear anything, I'll come back and post that information here. I was standing beside the VIP exit when it happened (watching Canadian women), and I was almost instantly swarmed by a wave of people exiting quickly. As I had already finished my match, I kept going with it, and went to the nearby hotels to look for Organizers with more info, to pass on any true info, etc.
                    It now certainly appears there was some controversy about those results, Aris, at least in Rwanda.

http://allafrica.com/stories/201408190626.html

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Maguire View Post
                      It now certainly appears there was some controversy about those results, Aris, at least in Rwanda.

http://allafrica.com/stories/201408190626.html
                      OK, but I've no further insight into these developments. That match took place in a very distant sector from mine.

Comment

Working...
                      X