Jaime Humberto Solis has passed away 1944-2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jaime Humberto Solis has passed away 1944-2014

My good friend and fellow chess player Jaime Humberto Soils died suddenly.

The family was notified .
    No details on funeral arrangements have been discussed at this time.
    If any updates are sent to me I'll post here on Chess Talk.

Jaime's last Chess tournament was at Kitchener in the Canadian Seniors 65+ section.

He will be greatly missed by friends and the chess community.

Rest In Peace.

Re: Jaime Humberto Solis has passed away 1944-2014

Originally posted by John Brown View Post
    My good friend and fellow chess player Jaime Humberto Soils died suddenly.

The family was notified .
    No details on funeral arrangements have been discussed at this time.
    If any updates are sent to me I'll post here on Chess Talk.

Jaime's last Chess tournament was at Kitchener in the Canadian Seniors 65+ section.

He will be greatly missed by friends and the chess community.

Rest In Peace.
    I am sorry to hear that. Jamie was one of the first players I met in tournaments in Calgary back in the 1970s. My condolences to his family and friends.

Comment

He also played in the recent Canadian Open in Montreal - I'm sure I spoke briefly with him there. R.I.P.

Comment

Very sad news John. I always looked forward to my games against Jaime. He fought tenaciously over the board. Sometimes adopting a defensive posture only to punish you for a poorly executed attack. He caught me several times. I will miss the challenge.

We had a moment of silence for Jaime at the Campbellville tournament yesterday.

Rest in Peace Jaime.

Comment

My condolences, John, to both you and Jaime's family. Surprisingly, Jaime and I never met over the chessboard despite being in the same section on a number of occasions. My first and most vivid memory of Jaime is at the 2010 Canadian Open (one big section!) here in Toronto where Jaime was helping analyse, with tremendous chess passion I must add, a drawn Scandinavian game just played by me and another good friend of the two of you, Ian Finlay. Jaime's great passion for the game will be sorely missed.

Not that it's the least bit important now, but I notice that FIDE has a different middle name for Jaime. I'm assuming your Humberto is either correct or that Jaime had 2 middle names.

http://ratings.fide.com/card.phtml?event=2607204
          Last edited by Jack Maguire; Sunday, 17th August, 2014, 10:34 AM.

Comment

R.I.P. Jaime. My condolences to his family and friends.

Comment

I'm sorry to hear about Jaime's passing. He was often present at many of the tournaments that I attended including the recently concluded Canadian Senior and the Canadian Open. He seemed like a very nice guy. Condolences to family and friends.

Comment

Thank you for posting and keeping me updated. Jaime played at the St. Catharines Chess Club and he was always there when the club closed. I played many games against him. He was quick at the board and always seemed to know when to strike and beat you. I will miss seeing him at the club and hope that the pain he had is now gone.

You will be missed my friend.

RIP JAIME

John Erickson

Comment

I played Jamie twice, once in a Canadian Open in Toronto and just last month at the Canadian Open in Montreal. He also sat with my wife and myself at the Canadian Open banquet in Victoria in 2012. He was a nice fellow and always went out of his way to say hello to me.
                  Paul Leblanc
                  Treasurer Chess Foundation of Canada

Comment

This is a shock. I played Jaime several times at all forms of chess over 40 years! (speed chess, active, regular tournament, we even discussed blindfold) I am glad I said hello and goodbye to him at the recent Canadian Seniors. He sure loved his chess and seemed to be always there at tournaments. RIP Jaime - you will be missed.

Comment

R.I.P. Jaime

Condolences to his family, friends of the church and chess kind.
                      Chile has given birth to some great fighters.

Jaime defeated a prognosis of death when some ten years ago they said you have only a few months. He quit everything to fight against that ailment . His knowledge of medicine attained great depth. He will forever be a symbol of a fighter..

Descansa en paz amigo.

Comment

That's a beautiful tribute Mario. He was a fighter alright. I am glad he was able to play in the Seniors' this year. He punched above his weight, and gained 22 points in his final tournament. I will miss this kind unassuming gentleman.

Comment

RIP Jamie Solis.He is 2607 in my Album of
                          the Kitchener Chess Festival 2014.

Comment

This is sudden and unexpected. Jaime looked fine and played well in the Canadian Seniors this year and I was glad I had the opportunity to talk with him a couple of times over the event.

My condolences to Jaime's family and friends.

R.I.P. Jaime, you will be missed.

BTW, I posted the games for the Seniors 65+ on my website at: http://ralphsattic.blogspot.ca/
                            Jaime has several of his games from the tournament up for viewing.

Comment

Ralph wrote:

BTW, I posted the games for the Seniors 65+ on my website at: http://ralphsattic.blogspot.ca/
                              Is there a PGN file available? I would like to add these games to CanBase.

Comment

Working...
                              X