Jaime Humberto Solis has passed away 1944-2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Jaime Humberto Solis has passed away 1944-2014

It was a great shock to hear that my close friend Jaime had passed away.
    Jaime was one of the gentlest, kind, and friendliest persons I have ever met.
    His last game in the Canadian Seniors 65+ was with Ruperto Frilles at board 3 sitting next to me and I had an
    opportunity to watch Jaime almost pull off a win, but it ended in a draw -

Jaime would often say "If you always try too hard to win, that's why you lose!"
    I will miss him -- Rest In Peace, Jaime.

Comment

Jamie was one of the nicest people you could meet at the chess board. I will miss his infectious laugh and his advice on telling me not to drink the local water, since I believe he worked at one time on analysing the water we drank from Lake Ontario. He was a true fighter and never gave up at the chessboard also. He was a regular to the blitz tournaments I used to play in in the eighties and nineties in Toronto.

Comment

Jamie was a kind and gentle man. About ten years ago Jamie told me he had been diagnosed with a blood disorder and had very little time left to live. Indeed he did not look well.
        Several years later I was very happy to see him at a tournament looking much better. I will miss Jamie, a friend and a great fighter.

Comment

Originally posted by John Brown View Post
          My good friend and fellow chess player Jaime Humberto Soils died suddenly.
          Hi John:

I'm really sorry to hear about that. He seemed to be a fixture in any SWOCL events for years. I played him several times and I don't think I ever beat him, despite having "better" positions.

Steve

Comment

I spoke to Istvan Kiss at the club yesterday and he was shocked at the news. He played Jaime in the Canadian Seniors in the second last round and offered him a draw in the 4th hour of play. Jaime declined and won. This was probably Jaime's last win. Fighting spirit to the end!

Comment

+1 to all the comments about Jaime being a gentleman, as well as an over-the-board fighter. I played against him a few times, and much more often, played on a board adjacent to him. I saw Jaime pull off so many come-from-behind wins and draws, including against me. Whatever the result, though, he'd always be smiling. RIP, Jaime. You'll be missed.

Comment

Super nice guy. We will miss him.

Comment

This comes as an extremely saddening and unfortunate shock. As a longtime member of the St Catherine's chess club, I can honestly say that Jaime was an absolute pleasure to play. Even with his age, he was able to play much faster than plenty of the guys there, and with a high level of play. Aside from chess, I can honestly say that he was one of the best people I've ever known. He was always enthusiastic toward me, and in my mind he has had a big part in influencing my increased participation in the game. Not only would I see Jaime at the club, but I would often see him in tournaments, where he would meet be with a greeting smile, and show continued interest in my games. It goes without saying that he will never be forgotten, and he will be truly missed.

With my greatest condolences,

Zachary Dukic

Comment

Re: Jaime Humberto Solis has passed away 1944-2014 - RIP JAMIE

Originally posted by John Brown View Post
                    My good friend and fellow chess player Jaime Humberto Soils died suddenly.

The family was notified .
                    No details on funeral arrangements have been discussed at this time.
                    If any updates are sent to me I'll post here on Chess Talk.

Jaime's last Chess tournament was at Kitchener in the Canadian Seniors 65+ section.

He will be greatly missed by friends and the chess community.

Rest In Peace.
                    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

Rest In Peace Jamie -- you will be sadly missed in the chess community across Canada.

I remember just 2 summers ago greeting Jamie prior to the 2012 Canadian Open in Victoria.

Christine Dutton and I send our condolences to the family and friends of Mr. Solis.

Rest in Peace Jamie Solis.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...6395166&type=3

Comment

On Saturday, September 20 a memorial service for Jaime will be held at First Baptist Church in Fort Erie Ontario at 11:00 am.
                      The address is 165 Bertie Street, corner of Bertie and Central Avenue.

Exit QEW at Bertie exit and you will see the church on the left side at Central Avenue.
                      Bertie runs off QEW near the Fort Erie border. Take the ramp and continue down Bertie. The church is on the left at Central Ave.
                      Last edited by John Brown; Friday, 29th August, 2014, 06:28 AM. Reason: additions

Comment

I have added additional details to the directions for Jaime Solis memorial posted above.

Comment

I have been away from the Chess scene for quite some time now so I was shocked to hear Jamie had passed away. Jamie and I had played blitz and over the board many many times and he was always a true sportsman. Rest in peace Jamie.

Sam

Comment

Jaime Solis is one of the players I recall playing against occasionally in blitz events at the Scarborough Chess club back when I was a teenager about 25 years ago... To me he always seemed a good spirited gentleman. I faced him at most only once or twice in slow events, but he played on many occasions in tournaments I directed over the years, won his section on a couple of occasions and still managed other good results despite some health problems. I too am saddened to hear of this news.

Comment

Working...
                            X