Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: FIDE Funding for IM/GM norm tournaments.Organizers take note

Originally posted by Ken Craft View Post
    Will the executive be voting on the two proposals soon?
    This is a funny question since you're on the Executive, Ken.

In any case the "call for a vote" from Vlad came to the Executive shortly after Ken posted this. I would expect Vlad will be announcing the result early next week.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred McKim View Post
      This is a funny question since you're on the Executive, Ken.

In any case the "call for a vote" from Vlad came to the Executive shortly after Ken posted this. I would expect Vlad will be announcing the result early next week.
      Perhaps Ken could have worded it "will the proposals be voted on by the Executive, or will they just be 'accepted'?"
      Obviously the CFC President (correctly in my opinion) put the proposals to a vote; no doubt there are some who might
      have said "it is found money, just spend it on whatever comes up"...
      ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
        Perhaps Ken could have worded it "will the proposals be voted on by the Executive, or will they just be 'accepted'?"
        Obviously the CFC President (correctly in my opinion) put the proposals to a vote; no doubt there are some who might
        have said "it is found money, just spend it on whatever comes up"...
        Kerry. We carefully asked for proposals, and gave a deadline for them to be submitted by. The Executive are now voting on each one. If we don't approve both, then we would open up for more proposals with another deadline.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred McKim View Post
          Kerry. We carefully asked for proposals, and gave a deadline for them to be submitted by. The Executive are now voting on each one. If we don't approve both, then we would open up for more proposals with another deadline.
          Understood; I was merely pointing out a possible motive behind Ken's question ( and I dont wish to imply I *know* what Ken meant any more than anyone can know from the posting). There are many who are hugely cynical of the CFC regardless of what happens (same people who believe the US government invented climate change as a diversion from the other excitement that is apparently happening). I know many of the executive and I believe they act in good faith and try to run things as well as possible given the elected and volunteer nature of the CFC - a model I think is doomed in my humble opinion - you get what you pay for; chess players pay for nothing and expect everything).
          ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

you get what you pay for; chess players pay for nothing and expect everything).
            Cheap bas***** these chess players.

Comment

I have cast my votes which I am happy to make public. I voted "yes" to one and "no" to the other.

Comment

chess players pay for nothing and expect everything).
                The CFC collects fees and promises to do things thus expectations are valid.
                http://www.chess.ca/membership-rates#Benefits

Benefits of Membership

What benefits do I get as a member of the C.F.C.?

The CFC holds national championships (including the Canadian Open, Canadian Youth Chess Championship, Canadian Closed, Canadian Women’s Championship) to showcase Canadian talent. The CFC website keeps players informed on is what happening including tournament listings, tournament reports and news items, listings of local chess clubs, and so much more. Your membership dues support all these activities to help ensure chess prospers in Canada. As a member, you are welcomed at CFC events across Canada, including national tournaments, weekend swisses, and local club tournaments.
                Other benefits of membership include:

A national CFC chess rating, and a subscription to the monthly Canadian Chess News, an electronic newsletter,
                I'm not much interested as a player/organizer in Championships though probably was one of the lonely visitors when Champs where organized close by.
                I miss the MONTHLY magazine. 2014 July issue was delivered only several days ago. Not-acceptable.

Being on the topic:
                I discussed with my buddies about an GM/IM tournament: not yet ready thus decided to concentrate on our opens, and try a FIDE rated RR (if anybody is interested from the GTA, let us now).

Comment

What's the news about these non-existing IM/GM norm tournaments?

Will this so called Laurentians International be replaced by the Canadian Open and we will be left with only one IM/GM norm tournament?

Comment

Re: Funding for IM/GM norm tournaments.Organizers take note

Originally posted by Rene Preotu View Post
                    I hope these are new tournaments on top of Canadian and Quebec Opens, Edmonton and Calgary Internationals.
                    Any updates on organizer who received this fund so far? Is the initiative real?

Comment

The FIDE Kitchener Masters was the first such tournament. It finished August 4. GM Evgeny Bareev played his final event under the Russian flag and finished with an impressive 8/9. http://chess-results.com/tnr182318.aspx?lan=1

Comment

Originally posted by Hal Bond View Post
                        The FIDE Kitchener Masters was the first such tournament. It finished August 4. GM Evgeny Bareev played his final event under the Russian flag and finished with an impressive 8/9. http://chess-results.com/tnr182318.aspx?lan=1
                        Were there any norms achieved?

Was just wondering why an untitled player like Navid Chaichi http://ratings.fide.com/card.phtml?event=12502049 was invited among several Canadian IMs or even FMs?

He got 2 Canadian Tournaments in his record and potentially living in Windsor now?! http://chess.ca/players?check_rating_surname=chaichi

I thought performance rating is a significant factor in achieving IM/GM Norms.

Comment

Having a foreign rating increases norm opportunities. Also, near master rating isn't so bad. I thought it was a good choice.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Biong View Post
                            He [Navid] ...potentially living in Windsor now?!
                            Potentially? Having a family, a job, and a home is more than "potentially". What's the guy got to do to achieve "is living in Windsor"?

Comment

Sadly no norms we achieved. Navid was invited because we needed another foreign flag in the mix for any norms to be valid. Overall we could have a maximum of 6 Canadians and 4 foreign players from 2 other Federations. So each team had an American and another Federation.

Performance rating is essential for a norm (2600 for GM and 2450 for IM), as are the number of titled players and additional Federations.

Comment

Working...
                              X