2014 WYCC Players Final List

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2014 WYCC Players Final List

I never expected the news to be objective or even to get the facts right. I learned from an early age that many reporters can't be bothered. I have been pleasantly surprised by some of the reporters that I have talked to in the last year or so but also have had some interactions that reinforced my cynicism. In the case of the FIDE election you also have to consider the fact that editors want to get people to read the articles so they make it as controversial as possible.

Comment

I'm disappointed in the newspapers with regards to their spotty coverage of chess. The ones I read have cut out their chess columns and when they do write about chess they sound clueless. I wonder if that newspaper reported what they portrayed as Putin's choice seeing the 10 million promise and raising it 10 million winning the election by a HUGE margin. My calculations were off in that election. The challenger got 61 votes. I had thought it would be between 40 and 45 votes.
      Gary Ruben
      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
        The ones I read have cut out their chess columns and when they do write about chess they sound clueless.
        I have seen more chess in a local newspaper than in Toronto Star after they ditched a column.

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
          I have seen more chess in a local newspaper than in Toronto Star after they ditched a column.
          That's good. Our local newspaper is a Metroland publication. Metroland is owned by, you guessed it, The Toronto Star. I haven't noticed much chess in there but chess might not be played much in this area. I can't recall reading about junior chess in the local paper.
          Gary Ruben
          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
            That's good. Our local newspaper is a Metroland publication. Metroland is owned by, you guessed it, The Toronto Star.
            Our is owned by them too. We have one more but it stopped be delivered to my house for free. Though it is possible to pick up at the library or other places. The problem with a paper newspaper it generates a lot of wasted paper compared the amount I read.

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
              Our is owned by them too. We have one more but it stopped be delivered to my house for free. Though it is possible to pick up at the library or other places. The problem with a paper newspaper it generates a lot of wasted paper compared the amount I read.
              Ours is not free. They paper is published two times a week and the youngster who delivers the paper collects $6. every three weeks. It has a LOT of advertising which my wife likes. Actually it might be a case of everyone gets it but you don't have to pay the carrier. We pay child who delivers the paper.
              Gary Ruben
              CC - IA and SIM

Comment

The location doesn't seem to be discouraging the U.S. which, if this Justin Friedlander story is correct, is sending a team of 180. I wonder how many 8 year-olds the U.S. is sending since Justtin is only the #12 ranked player in the U.S. for that age (and 20 are over the cited minimum rating requirement of 1600). And Justin can't even tie his own shoes, lol.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/...ship/14985053/

Comment

Jack wrote:

The location doesn't seem to be discouraging the U.S. which, if this Justin Friedlander story is correct, is sending a team of 180. I wonder how many 8 year-olds the U.S. is sending since Justtin is only the #12 ranked player in the U.S. for that age (and 20 are over the cited minimum rating requirement of 1600). And Justin can't even tie his own shoes, lol.
                  As of today, the US has 64 entries including 2 U8 girls and 14 U8 boys. Justin is entered as an unrated (FIDE); 3 of the US U8 players have FIDE ratings.

http://www.chess-results.com/fed.aspx?lan=1&fed=RSA

Comment

Working...
                  X