Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can the neo-conservative change his spots?

Kasparov writes on the FIDE election

Originally posted by Kasparov
    The most ironic slander of the campaign was that “Kasparov will politicize chess.” I am who I am and I believe Vladimir Putin’s regime in Russia is criminal and a danger to the world – a belief shared by many more people every day, by the way. I will not change nor hide my views. But as I made clear, and as I demonstrated on the campaign trail, my candidacy and my FIDE presidency would not be political. I answered questions when they came, but my emphasis was always chess, sponsorship, and promoting the game everywhere, regardless of political affiliations.
    In truth, his neo-conservative views trumped his opinions on chess; they got in the way so much that his campaign for the FIDE Presidency became simply a Washington-sponsored Russophobia, with chess as a matter of secondary concern. As one of the many, many critical commentators noted:

Originally posted by commentator1
    Despite all the issues with the current (lack of) leadership, Kasparov lost because he has no credibility. He makes great speeches and arguments but they are not credible. Splitting the chess world showed that he is dictatorial, and post-title attempts to get himself a rematch with Kramnik without qualifying suggested that he always craved for freebies. When it suited him he joined Kirsan and/or Karpov.
    Other remarks ...

Kasparov always uses the fact that FIDE could not get a sponsorship for Carlsen-Anand. He conveniently forgets that he failed to get sponsorship for Kasparov-Shirov, Kasparov-Anand etc. His actions-omissions in splitting the chess world caused fans so much hurt, not to speak of injustices on Shirov, Anand et. al. He is a true politician in the same traditions (of people who he opposes) who will do anything for their own survival. It is this perception that is responsible for his loss. If he can work unselfishly now, may be next time will be different.
    Can the leopard change his spots?
    Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

Re: Can the neo-conservative change his spots?

Very interesting, just would like to know when you'll start to quote Kirsan Ilyumzhinov, his opinion, and show new articles about him.
      Nata Navodylo

Comment

Originally posted by Nigel Hanrahan View Post
        Kasparov writes on the FIDE election

In truth, his neo-conservative views trumped his opinions on chess; they got in the way so much that his campaign for the FIDE Presidency became simply a Washington-sponsored Russophobia, with chess as a matter of secondary concern...

Can the leopard change his spots?

Washington-sponsored Russophobia? Nigel, do you wear your tin foil hat to bed?

Meanwhile, in the real world, Kasparov provided a link to an open letter to chess players from Norwegian Chess Federation President Jøran Aulin-Jansson, dated Sept. 4:

https://chess24.com/en/read/news/aul...g-for-our-fide

I draw attention to this specific excerpt from the letter:

"Let’s quickly compare FIDE and chess with another organization and sport, IBU, the International Biathlon Union, established in 1993 and so a relatively young sport. Compared to FIDE, they have a fraction of the members and a fraction of the followers. Still, they enjoy a yearly income of more than 20 million Euros from corporate sponsorship! And there is fierce competition among countries to organize events…"

For comparison, he earlier pointed out FIDE's annual budget is 2 to 3 million Euros per year.

Can the leopard change his spots indeed... but we should make the subject of that question FIDE iteslf, not Kasparov.
        Last edited by Paul Bonham; Tuesday, 9th September, 2014, 05:38 PM.
        Only the rushing is heard...
        Onward flies the bird.

Comment

I am reminded of the following quote.

Originally posted by John Rogers
          There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.
          Last edited by Jesse Wang; Tuesday, 9th September, 2014, 09:11 PM.

Comment

Russophobia

Originally posted by Paul Bonham View Post
            Washington-sponsored Russophobia? Nigel, do you wear your tin foil hat to bed? ...
            The neo-cons, whose opinions Kasparov seems to re-gurgitate unquestioningly, consider the USA to be the only "invaluable" country (Wolfowitz doctrine) , and all other countries disposable, and also consider any country that asserts its sovereignty without US permission to be, automatically, a danger to the USA that must be stopped, destroyed, or both (Brezizhinski doctrine). Hence Russia is not allowed to have foreign policy goals that differ from the "invaluable" one, the USA is considered the "benign hegemon", and so on. Other than dropping dead, there really is nothing Russia could do, in such a view, that would please such people.

These sorts of views that I have summarized , which jive with the views of those who are enriched by endless military production and sharpening of conflict and tension in the world, once called "the military industrial complex" by former US President Eisenhower, are not "tin foil hat" views, but rather dangerous views that could literally lead to world war 3. Kasparov, by re-gurgitating this stuff, does harm not only to chess but to world politics generally.

If Kirsan is to be defeated by a real reformer, then it won't be by Kasparov. The latter would do more harm than good. The question I've posed is rhetorical, of course. I just dont' see any evidence that Kasparov can change.

Can the leopard change his spots indeed... but we should make the subject of that question FIDE iteslf, not Kasparov.
            Yes, FIDE reform deserves a thread of its own. However, limiting such a thread to the Cold War refrains of Garry Kasparov is like limiting your social and political views to the opinions of the HUAC during the height of Cold War One. This thread, OTOH, serves what I think is a useful purpose. Go ahead and start a FIDE reform thread - I mean an honest attempt to do so, not limited, etc. - and over time we might reasonably start to accumulate some good ideas.

[Sorry if I'm sounding like a moderator. Old habits die hard.]
            Last edited by Nigel Hanrahan; Tuesday, 9th September, 2014, 09:30 PM.

Comment

Change Title

The neo-cons, whose opinions Kasparov seems to re-gurgitate unquestioningly, consider the USA to be the only "invaluable" country (Wolfowitz doctrine) , and all other countries disposable, and also consider any country that asserts its sovereignty without US permission to be, automatically, a danger to the USA that must be stopped, destroyed, or both (Brezizhinski doctrine). Hence Russia is not allowed to have foreign policy goals that differ from the "invaluable" one, the USA is considered the "benign hegemon", and so on. Other than dropping dead, there really is nothing Russia could do, in such a view, that would please such people.

These sorts of views that I have summarized , which jive with the views of those who are enriched by endless military production and sharpening of conflict and tension in the world, once called "the military industrial complex" by former US President Eisenhower, are not "tin foil hat" views, but rather dangerous views that could literally lead to world war 3. Kasparov, by re-gurgitating this stuff, does harm not only to chess but to world politics generally.

If Kirsan is to be defeated by a real reformer, then it won't be by Kasparov. The latter would do more harm than good. The question I've posed is rhetorical, of course. I just dont' see any evidence that Kasparov can change.

Yes, FIDE reform deserves a thread of its own. However, limiting such a thread to the Cold War refrains of Garry Kasparov is like limiting your social and political views to the opinions of the HUAC during the height of Cold War One. This thread, OTOH, serves what I think is a useful purpose. Go ahead and start a FIDE reform thread - I mean an honest attempt to do so, not limited, etc. - and over time we might reasonably start to accumulate some good ideas.

[Sorry if I'm sounding like a moderator. Old habits die hard.]
              I'm speechless, really. I'm just interesting have you ever been in Russia? Do you know what is Russia producing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAisg0_VfMs
              Last edited by Nata Navodylo; Thursday, 11th September, 2014, 01:53 PM. Reason: Change Title
              Nata Navodylo

Comment

Re: Russophobia

Originally posted by Nata View Post
                I'm speechless, really. I'm just interesting have you ever been in Russia? Do you know what is Russia producing?
                Yeah, I get that you seem to share the Russophobia of Kasparov and the neo-conservatives. I don't see how that proves anything.

Russia these days is treated like some crypto-zoological beast whose harmfulness is somehow "proved" by the same grainy photographs that prove the presence of the Loch Ness monster. And about as reliable.

Comment

Change Title

Yeah, I get that you seem to share the Russophobia of Kasparov and the neo-conservatives. I don't see how that proves anything.
                  If I'm Russophobic, than you are USAphobic.

Have you seen my link that I shared, can you comment it?
                  Last edited by Nata Navodylo; Thursday, 11th September, 2014, 01:52 PM. Reason: Change Title
                  Nata Navodylo

Comment

Re: Russophobia

Originally posted by Nata View Post
                    Have you seen my link that I shared, can you comment it?
                    Perhaps you could share what this link has to do with Kasparov's Russophobic ideology. That would be a good start.

Comment

USphobia

Perhaps you could share what this link has to do with Kasparov's Russophobic ideology. That would be a good start.

This link has to do with your USAphobic ideology and idolization of Russian Government. Just a curiosity, have you ever been to Russia? Do you speak, understand Russian language?
                      Nata Navodylo

Comment

Re: USphobia

Ok, so you have nothing to say about Kasparov on a thread about Kasparov, and simply repeat your faux personal remarks. That's sometimes called stalking where I come from.

added: for those actually interested in the topic of Kasparov's neo-conservative views have a look at his twitter feed over here ... Kasparov63 He re-gurgitates all the unsubstantiated claims (Russian invasion of Ukraine, Putin is a fascist (despite being more popular than any politician in NATO), etc. etc. ) and really doesn't seem to be happy unless the threat of war is imminent. And people wanted this war monger for FIDE President???
                        Last edited by Nigel Hanrahan; Friday, 12th September, 2014, 02:03 AM. Reason: added

Comment

Ok, so you have nothing to say about Kasparov on a thread about Kasparov, and simply repeat your faux personal remarks. That's sometimes called stalking where I come from.
                          I do have something to say about Kasparov before I just knew that he was the world chess champion and I didn’t care about him, now I know that he has his own opinion, he is a great person and I became his fan. You did your job

When people talk/think about one person/thing it’s called obsession (I don't know where you come from https://www.google.ca/#q=obsession)
                          Last edited by Nata Navodylo; Friday, 12th September, 2014, 09:57 AM.
                          Nata Navodylo

Comment

He re-gurgitates all the unsubstantiated claims (Russian invasion of Ukraine, Putin is a fascist (despite being more popular than any politician in NATO), etc. etc. ) and really doesn't seem to be happy unless the threat of war is imminent.
                            1. invasion: Russia invaded Ukrain and grabbed the Crimean peninsula in February/March. The civil started in spring and still goes on. Russian instead of closing boarder supports rebels in various ways including with arms and people. There is a sudden increase in personal death amongst Russian regular army forces, and a lot goes under the rug.
                            2. fascism in Russian. It has own name putism. Hitler was popular too, and more than A.Merkel.
                            3. Kasparov will be happy when Putin will loose power. He had enough time in jail to rethink his actions.

Kasparov's as Fischer's views will be forgotten but their chess legacy will live on for ages.

Champion as always

Comment

Kasparov, neo-con but also a limousine liberal

Garry Kasparov is rightly ridiculed in Russia for being a "limousine liberal," attending US-sponsored rallies with signs in English (for the intended audience outside of Russia) and could not, in any case, get himself elected dog-catcher in that country.

What will he complain about when he is invited to the World Championship in Sochi and everyone ignores him?

The caravan moves on.

Comment

Following your logic

Garry Kasparov is rightly ridiculed in Russia for being a "limousine liberal," attending US-sponsored rallies with signs in English (for the intended audience outside of Russia) and could not, in any case, get himself elected dog-catcher in that country.
                                Yes, everything that is against dictator’s regime in Russia is sponsored by USA. Following your logic I’m just wondering who is sponsoring antyKasparov campaign.
                                Last edited by Nata Navodylo; Friday, 12th September, 2014, 02:36 PM. Reason: Following your logic
                                Nata Navodylo

Comment

Working...
                                X