X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Globe and Mail video about Windsor teen

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/...ticle20339637/

Rachel Tao (Grade 10)

A somewhat stereotypical report with the usual cliches.
    ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Re: Globe and Mail video about Windsor teen

Rachel strikes me as far more rational than her coach, Steve (Istvan) Kiraly. The goal of finishing in the top half (there are evidently 87 girls in Rachel's U16 Section) when you're the 62nd seed is realistic. Steve must have been seriously into the Pangloss Kool-Aid when he said Rachel "has the potential and power to return as World Champion".

If she does (zero chance for all intents and purposes), Rachel may well replace the name Alan Trefler for the greatest upset in chess history. Alan, of course, was co-winner (with GM Pal Benko) of the 1975 World Open Chess Championship when he was only rated 2045 and the 115th seed (of 372). After losing his R1 match, Trefler did Caruana one better by reeling off 8 consecutive wins to finish with 8/9 (:

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Maguire View Post
      Rachel strikes me as far more rational than her coach, Steve (Istvan) Kiraly. The goal of finishing in the top half (there are evidently 87 girls in Rachel's U16 Section) when you're the 62nd seed is realistic. Steve must have been seriously into the Pangloss Kool-Aid when he said Rachel "has the potential and power to return as World Champion".

If she does (zero chance for all intents and purposes), Rachel may well replace the name Alan Trefler for the greatest upset in chess history. Alan, of course, was co-winner (with GM Pal Benko) of the 1975 World Open Chess Championship when he was only rated 2045 and the 115th seed (of 372). After losing his R1 match, Trefler did Caruana one better by reeling off 8 consecutive wins to finish with 8/9 (:
      To be fair to Istvan that was a very short snippet from a longer interview. Rachel has qualified for WYCC four times in the last four years. She has been part of the Windsor chess scene for a long time and she is one of the girls who is intent on continuing to play into her teens and beyond. She was in John Coleman's Friday night advanced class when I started teaching and playing chess again in 2007. She was small and hyper aggressive on the chessboard as an eight year old. Many of her games were very raw attacks where if she didn't checkmate she ran out of pieces to attack with. I expect that she will perform well, better than her rating going into the event, though as Istvan mentioned her final placement will depend on how she handles all of the variables which are part of a good performance.

Interviewers in these situations deal in cliches because that is what their readers want to hear and see on their local newscast. The only person who has zero chance is the person that doesn't play. It is not necessarily a bad thing for a coach to show a strong belief in the capabilities of their student.

The interview was with CTV news.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
        It is not necessarily a bad thing for a coach to show a strong belief in the capabilities of their student.
        Many times I have read that coaches wanted to please parents with unrealistic promises and evaluations.

imho, if journalists removed all clutter like "prodigy", adults, and let her just talk & play, it would have been a great interview :) Good luck in the WYCC.

Comment

Rachel's parents have realistic expectations for her. They are well experienced with regard to the highs and lows of tournament chess at the international level. Ultimately she is playing against herself of yesterday and trying to become a stronger player which she will succeed at. We all wish her luck and I know I along with the rest of the Windsor chess community will be following her games closely at WYCC.

Comment

I can't comment on the specific case, but in general from my experience you are absolutely correct about this.

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
            Many times I have read that coaches wanted to please parents with unrealistic promises and evaluations.
            "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

Working...
            X