Is the same everywhere: strong girls quitting chess in MS-HS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Is the same everywhere: strong girls quitting chess in MS-HS

I coach cycling and find that if during the Olympics, a Canadian woman does really well (for instance, Clara Hughes, Lori-Ann Muenzer, Alison Sydor, Marie-Hélène Prémont, etc.), I get quite an upswing in the number of inquiries from girls and young women about getting into competitive cycling. Most of these end up doing the sport at a competitive recreational level. However, some of them go on to become internationally renowned. But it has to be the Olympics to get the next generation of cyclists excited about the sport. If Canadian women do well at the World Championships or at a World Cup, I see little new interest in the sport.

Both chess and competitive cycling share the characteristic of being imports in Canada (i.e. of greater interest in other parts of the world). They are also non-traditional activities for girls. Cycling in Canada gets new blood among girls and women when the Olympic spotlight shines on a Canadian. I don't think that chess in Canada (especially for women) can provide that sort of spotlight where the elite performance of Canadian women on the world stage is an inspiration to girls and young women. Maybe that will change with time.
    Last edited by Steve Karpik; Thursday, 11th September, 2014, 03:02 PM.

Comment

Alexandra Botez is Stanford's first female Chess Club president (:

http://www.stanforddaily.com/2014/10...lub-president/

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Maguire View Post
        Alexandra Botez is Stanford's first female Chess Club president (:

http://www.stanforddaily.com/2014/10...lub-president/
        Congratulations to Alexandra on becoming a chess organizer. We can certainly use more of them.

Comment

Working...
        X