Is the same everywhere: strong girls quitting chess in MS-HS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the same everywhere: strong girls quitting chess in MS-HS

Spaniard WIM Irene Nicolás Zapata - 3rd place in U16G at the last WYCC is quitting chess:

http://abcblogs.abc.es/poker-ajedrez...rez-17655.asp/

Note: Article is in Spanish

Re: Is the same everywhere: strong girls quitting chess in MS-HS

I was going to post this in the Rachel Tao thread, Andrei, but I'll post it here instead. I used the CFC ratings search to ascertain Canada's strongest U16 females and I was dumbfounded to see that the entire list comprised all of 4 names ):

http://chess.ca/players?player_searc...d17411a34ff5e6

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Maguire View Post
      I was going to post this in the Rachel Tao thread, Andrei, but I'll post it here instead. I used the CFC ratings search to ascertain Canada's strongest U16 females and I was dumbfounded to see that the entire list comprised all of 4 names ):

http://chess.ca/players?player_searc...d17411a34ff5e6
      That is probably because the list only returns active members and not everyone has birthdate information attached to their CFC membership. There were 13 girls in the under 14 last year at the CYCC in Ottawa. Most of them are probably under 16 now. We have had three girls in that age group in Windsor disappear from our radar screens including two who have qualified to WYCC at one point.

Comment

I discussed this matter with USCF President Ruth Haring during the Olympiad in Tromso. Their statistics show that the exodous start in the 12-14 age category. Among their strategies is a Women's Open tournament which drew 300 players last year. I expect/hope we will be working closer with the USCF in the coming years to combat this trend.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
          That is probably because the list only returns active members and not everyone has birthdate information attached to their CFC membership.
          Unfortunately, these lists are even less reliable: queries made on the CFC site fail to return names of any CFC members domiciled in Quebec. :(

I raised this issue last fall but it is not fixed yet.

For instance, try the following: go to Players page, select Junior and Female, press Search Now. This would be the list returned:

Comment

Vadim wrote:

queries made on the CFC site fail to return names of any CFC members domiciled in Quebec.
            I looked up several U20 girls from Quebec who played recently, and they all have CFC expiry dates of 2014-09-01 - that's probably why they don't appear e.g. Indy Ma and Allison Tsypin.

But now it appears that any random Quebec player I select from the Canadian Open crosstable has a CFC expiry date of 2014-09-01 as well! (being a Life Member, I show up as "no expiry" :-) )

Shouldn't the FQE and CFC expiry dates match for Quebec players?

Comment

Chess is the only sport/game I am aware of (other than equestrian sports) where females past puberty are expected to compete against males. Perhaps most women, especially in their late teens and twenties, are not comfortable playing against (and maybe defeating) men, and all-women competitions are not common? Just a thought.

Comment

Ken wrote:

Chess is the only sport/game I am aware of (other than equestrian sports) where females past puberty are expected to compete against males.
                Any card game (bridge, poker, etc.) women compete equally with men even at the highest levels. Sailing (until 1988) and shooting (until 1992 - a woman won a gold in 1992) had men and women competing equally at the Olympics.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Kurkowski View Post
                  Chess is the only sport/game I am aware of (other than equestrian sports) where females past puberty are expected to compete against males. Perhaps most women, especially in their late teens and twenties, are not comfortable playing against (and maybe defeating) men, and all-women competitions are not common? Just a thought.

Poker has adult women competing against adult men.

If women feel uncomfortable competing against men in general, this would REALLY show up in poker because it is such a psychological game. In chess, when you are on the move, your opponent is not usually staring right into your soul so to speak, but is looking at the board just as you are. I think in chess it is considered rude to stare at your opponent, no?

But in poker, when you are deciding between fold, call, or raise, you could have anywhere from 1 up to 8 or 9 opponents ALL not just staring into your soul, but even goading you with comments, trying to unnerve you. It is considered part of the game.

Poker does have far less adult (and even pre-adult) women than men competing, but the situation is not as bad as in chess. What this could indicate is that you can get more women to overcome their hesitation to compete against men IF you raised the potential rewards.

Organized chess has a money problem first and foremost, and all its other problems stem from that.
                  Only the rushing is heard...
                  Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Female juniors, current and expired with 6 months, has several girls from QC

http://chess.ca/players?player_searc...effc83fc4bbb74

In my professional opinion* the CFC database is totally effed up.

* I haven't worked on databases for 24 years, just so you know. I'm more ex than expert.

Comment

Re : Re: Is the same everywhere: strong girls quitting chess in MS-HS

Originally posted by Hal Bond View Post
                      I discussed this matter with USCF President Ruth Haring during the Olympiad in Tromso. Their statistics show that the exodous start in the 12-14 age category. Among their strategies is a Women's Open tournament which drew 300 players last year. I expect/hope we will be working closer with the USCF in the coming years to combat this trend.
                      There is an interesting article about this very topic:

http://xpertchesslessons.wordpress.c...-numbers-game/

Comment

Originally posted by Hal Bond View Post
                        working closer with the USCF in the coming years to combat this trend.
                        imho, the CFC shall work closer with the CMA and other scholastic chess organizers.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Kurkowski View Post
                          Chess is the only sport/game I am aware of (other than equestrian sports) where females past puberty are expected to compete against males.
                          From time to time the Women championships are held. Opens can be as a preparation to the main events LOL

Comment

Originally posted by John Coleman View Post
                            In my professional opinion* the CFC database is totally effed up.
                            CFC and FQE databases were merged in the weird way. Likely by a chess player with an unlogical thinking or not a chess player at all LOL

Comment

Chess is kind of a nerdy activity. I didn't tell my wife I played at events and clubs until after we were married.
                              Gary Ruben
                              CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Working...
                              X