Rules of chess questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rules of chess questions

I have three questions concerning the rules of chess, and I'm hoping someone might know, without my digging around a rulebook.

1) If a player makes a move that delivers checkmate, but at the same time announces that (s)he resigns (and presses his/her clock), what is the result?

2) If player A makes a move that delivers checkmate, then offers a draw (and presses his/her clock), and the opponent B accepts before player A claims (s)he has delivered mate, what is the result?

3) If player A makes a move that delivers checkmate, then offers a draw (and presses his/her clock), and then player A claims (s)he has delivered mate before opponent B accepts or declines the offer, can player B then accept the draw offer and the game be ruled a draw?

As an aside, I thought of these three situations while thinking about possibly original rules for an adult chess variant to be played in the home (i.e. chess involving disrobing). In such a game, one (perhaps original) rule might be that in situation 1), both players could be considered losers, for example.
    Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
    Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Re: Rules of chess questions

A checkmate ends the game, but if there is no TD around to witness the result, I would say that the loss or draw stands - unless the player realizes the error, in which case he may have to appeal the result.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Pacey View Post
      I have three questions concerning the rules of chess, and I'm hoping someone might know, without my digging around a rulebook.

1) If a player makes a move that delivers checkmate, but at the same time announces that (s)he resigns (and presses his/her clock), what is the result?

2) If player A makes a move that delivers checkmate, then offers a draw (and presses his/her clock), and the opponent B accepts before player A claims (s)he has delivered mate, what is the result?

3) If player A makes a move that delivers checkmate, then offers a draw (and presses his/her clock), and then player A claims (s)he has delivered mate before opponent B accepts or declines the offer, can player B then accept the draw offer and the game be ruled a draw?

As an aside, I thought of these three situations while thinking about possibly original rules for an adult chess variant to be played in the home (i.e. chess involving disrobing). In such a game, one (perhaps original) rule might be that in situation 1), both players could be considered losers, for example.
      1) Once he takes his hand off the checkmating piece, the game is over. So the relevant question is whether his hand is off the piece before announcing his resignation.
      2) Once his hand is off the checkmating piece, the game is over. So it is a win for the checkmating player unless he offers a draw simultaneously with making a move, and does not release the piece until the draw is accepted.
      3) Once the move is made the game is over, it is no longer possible to offer or accept a draw.

Comment

Thanks for the answers guys. My grasp of the finer points of the rules is a little rusty.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Kirby View Post
          1) Once he takes his hand off the checkmating piece, the game is over. So the relevant question is whether his hand is off the piece before announcing his resignation.
          2) Once his hand is off the checkmating piece, the game is over. So it is a win for the checkmating player unless he offers a draw simultaneously with making a move, and does not release the piece until the draw is accepted.
          3) Once the move is made the game is over, it is no longer possible to offer or accept a draw.
          What if he has not let go of the piece, but the ONLY legal move for the piece is the mate?

Comment

Originally posted by Brad Thomson View Post
            What if he has not let go of the piece, but the ONLY legal move for the piece is the mate?
            I am far from any expert, but I believe the move is not complete until the piece is released
            (and in the case of a pawn promotion, the selected piece is placed on the 8th rank square).

If the move (is legal and) delivers mate or creates stalemate the game is over.
            ( I believe the player does not have to press the move counter but if there is no arbiter present
            it would be a good idea to do so anyway to avoid squabbles about whether any time control had been met ).
            ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

I want to know what happens if Player A is about to deliver mate, but Player B pulls out a gun and shoots Player A, ultimately fatally wounding him, but not immediately. Meanwhile Player A has not taken his hand off the piece but has secured it on the mating square and a spectator runs up to Player B and stabs him through the heart fatally killing him instantly, i.e. before Player A dies from his wounds, his hands still clutching the piece. Meanwhile the clock takes a bullet which causes both sides (of the clock, not Players A and B) to start ticking and Player A, having less time, runs out of time first. Meanwhile, Player C steals Player B's pen and uses it to stab Player D, thankfully not fatally. Player D hops around and falls onto the board featuring Players A and B, knocking all the pieces down. So my question: should Player A, B, C or D or perhaps the TD be responsible (at least in theory) for re-setting the board?
              "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom O'Donnell View Post
                I want to know what happens if Player A is about to deliver mate, but Player B pulls out a gun and shoots Player A, ultimately fatally wounding him, but not immediately. Meanwhile Player A has not taken his hand off the piece but has secured it on the mating square and a spectator runs up to Player B and stabs him through the heart fatally killing him instantly, i.e. before Player A dies from his wounds, his hands still clutching the piece. Meanwhile the clock takes a bullet which causes both sides (of the clock, not Players A and B) to start ticking and Player A, having less time, runs out of time first. Meanwhile, Player C steals Player B's pen and uses it to stab Player D, thankfully not fatally. Player D hops around and falls onto the board featuring Players A and B, knocking all the pieces down. So my question: should Player A, B, C or D or perhaps the TD be responsible (at least in theory) for re-setting the board?
                But what if, after being shot and killed instantly, player A's hand spasmodically releases the piece which then sits on the square delivering mate? Did that game end with his death or with the checkmate delivered after his death?

There are obviously terrible gaps in the rules!

Comment

Originally posted by Tom O'Donnell View Post

FIDE is working on this, it's part of the $20 million Kirsan has promised in his election speech. Also, they are working out the exact wording of the forms Player B must fill out -- posthumously -- to get full restitution for his pen, and there's an extra form to fill out if Player B was female, which I think is a form that deals with the sexual discrimination Player C demonstrated (according to the lawsuit from Player B's estate lawyer) by choosing Player B's pen rather than a pen from a male player. Oh, and there's also the question of whether the pen was registered with FIDE and with Vladimir Putin before the tournament began. Nobody cares about the gun.

The spectator who stabbed Player B will get off with a verbal warning, unless Player B's pen is found to be an electronic device, in which case the spectator has to undergo a complete strip search.

Don't even ASK what happens if Player A, B, or D was a citizen of Ukraine: it involves the TD becoming a full-fledged member of NATO.
                  Only the rushing is heard...
                  Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad Thomson View Post
                    I would think the move must be actually made before checkmate actually occurs (and can be recorded as part of the gamescore).

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Seedhouse View Post
                      But what if, after being shot and killed instantly, player A's hand spasmodically releases the piece which then sits on the square delivering mate? Did that game end with his death or with the checkmate delivered after his death?

There are obviously terrible gaps in the rules!
                      Checkmate ends the game. There is no requirement that it be delivered by a living hand.

Kind of reminds me of the end of 'Beneath the Planet of the Apes', where Taylor (played by Charleton Heston) dies just the instant before his hand pushes down a switch that triggeres a super-bomb missile, which then launches and destroys the Earth.

Comment

Kevin, I think you have too much time on your hands to be posing such questions. I do think that the ruling is different if player A offers a draw, then player B loses on time, but accepts the draw before player A notices, in which case is the game is a draw? I remember something like that happening at the Pan Am Intercollegiate around 1980, but player A claimed the win before player B could accept. I think player A won? Also, FIDE rules might be different since the arbiter can claim the win for you.

Comment

This sounds like the tournaments Tony Ficzere used to run in Brantford. :)
                          "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
                          "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
                          "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

The way i remember, if nobody calls arbiter, game ends with what they agreed. Position on the board doesnt matter.
                            There have been games with imposible moves played and the result stood as nobody called TD.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Findlay View Post
                              Kevin, I think you have too much time on your hands to be posing such questions. I do think that the ruling is different if player A offers a draw, then player B loses on time, but accepts the draw before player A notices, in which case is the game is a draw? I remember something like that happening at the Pan Am Intercollegiate around 1980, but player A claimed the win before player B could accept. I think player A won? Also, FIDE rules might be different since the arbiter can claim the win for you.
                              Hi Ian

You may be right I have too much time on my hands, at least at times (who doesn't, if they are a chesstalk regular). I thought of the questions in my initail post, as I said, after pondering novel rules for an adult chess variant involving disrobing, played in the home. There might be a very small chance this may be a secret to popularizing the game more with the public (adults, at least), if an especially good set of rules are thought of (could involve giving odds to a much weaker player). The situations posed by my questions might be rare, but maybe less so if the players involved aren't competitive players, and are comparitive novices who don't always recognize a checkmate (also might happen if clocks are used and there is time pressure involved).
                              Last edited by Kevin Pacey; Wednesday, 10th September, 2014, 04:56 PM. Reason: Grammar

Comment

Working...
                              X