Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Tournament Format Proposal

It has been a very long day.
    We are still trying to wrap up game 3 at the Mississauga Open.
    The start of round 3 was delayed as we waited for a knight & bishop vs. King to finish.

It is my impression many people are taking a bye on Saturdays to avoid playing 3 games.

So, here is my proposal,

4 round weekend swiss - 2 games Saturday, 2 games sunday.

Thoughts!

Re: New Tournament Format Proposal

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
    4 round weekend swiss - 2 games Saturday, 2 games sunday.

Thoughts!
    Hello Bob,

This is exactly how they run Vermont Open, Marchand Open (Rochester, NY) and many other New England tournaments for many years ( 2014 National Chess Day in Albany will be run this way as well ), so this format seems to be viable.

On the other hand, in Quebec and Ottawa-Gatineau area we tend to still stick to a 5-round weekend Swiss with Rd1 held Friday night.

Thanks.

Comment

For many years, perhaps still to this day, most weekend Swisses in Winnipeg had 1 round on the Friday evening, with 2 rounds on the Saturday and Sunday. Those who couldn't make the Friday round took a bye.
      Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

Hi Bob,

In Toronto we still mostly do the Friday night 1st round and then 2 and 2. Some people do take a Round 1 bye and just play the two days. It seems this 3-2 system is more popular in Southwestern Ontario. There are definitely some advantages to this system. Players travel back and forth less often in the 3-2 approach, and those coming from out of town may only have to pay for hotel one night instead of two. On the other hand, three games in one day is nearly inhumane. Rounds tend to begin as the previous one ends, time to eat or rest is often non-existent between Saturday rounds. As a chess player I also think that playing three rounds at 4 hours each is a lot worse than two rounds at 6 hours each. More games at shorter time controls are more likely to go the full clock time and be mentally more tiring.

So... 2-2 with a total of 4 rounds. Why not?
        A reasonable argument can be made that players are less likely to take a bye then, and a much inferior percentage of the participants will be robbed of an extra round. The real challenge will be that organizers are limiting themselves to smaller sections to be able to find a clear winner. Stealing a round will reduce this number by half (if pairings and results are perfect, though it doesn't work out like that). So with more than 16 players in a 4-round tournament, it can mathematically work out to having more than one player with a perfect score. Compared to 32+ players for 5 rounds.
        An organizer may choose to increase the number of sections, making the tournament more competitive, in order to ensure one clear winner, but then the prize funds get spread thinner.
        There may the occasional player protesting that 'norms' for CFC titles, ie National Master, need 5 round tournament performances, but generally I don't think people would decide against playing in a 4 round tournament.
        I think the possibility of not producing a clear winner or restricting sections to relatively low numbers may pose more challenges in the long run.

Some challenges / arguments against might be:
        - unclear winner
        - thinner prize fund (in case of more sections)
        - if it becomes established in smaller sections, risk of the same players playing each other all the time
        - no shot at CFC title norms? - not sure if anyone cares about this, one of my friends at Hart House often jokes about getting the NM title
        - opportunity to collect / gain bonus points would be significantly reduced
        - in case of a forced bye, a player's 'tournament' has now gone down to 3 rounds

However, for many players this may be a breath of fresh air:
        - no need to take a bye and still remain on equal terms with the opposition
        - adequate breaks between rounds
        - a more sane amount of chess per day (in my opinion)
        - preserving the two-day format, a bonus for travelers and those paying for accommodation
        - perhaps a healthier balance with other aspects of life (playing Friday night + Sat + Sun, OR having to get up super-early and going to bed very late on Saturday and then doing more of it on Sunday, both scenarios with 5-round tournaments are very demanding)

It may well be worth a try.

Alex Ferreira

Comment

One advantage of a 2-2 format over a 1-2-2 format is cheaper hall rental (where relevant) - but would that result in cheaper entry fees with the same prizes? When most Ottawa tournaments were 3-2, I almost always took a bye in round 3.

Comment

Hi Bob;
            The first Niagara Falls Opens were Rd 1 90 mins Sudden death then Rd 2 & 3 30 in 90 mins Sudden death in 1 hr.
            Sunday 30 in 90 Sudden Death in 1 Hr.
            But we finished past 11 pm some Saturday nights.

We then adopted Saturday's Rd 1,2,3 90 mins Sudden death and we finished earlier and had more rests between rounds.
            Sundays were 30 in 90 mins and Sudden Death in 1 Hour. We had less byes on the Saturday.

I think the biggest problem is the travelling far distances on a 5 Round tournament. If you have to work you will normally take a bye in Rd 1.

Comment

Working...
            X