Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ChessTalk - RIP

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
    Anyone starting up their own organization wouldn't likely want to embrace the CFC model.
    Probably not. A benevolent dictatorship would probably be easier from the point of view of logistics if you had access to large sums of money.

Servers aren't that hard. Austin wrote Schemingmind (you can google it if you want) in hs spare time. It's been around more than a decade.
    Servers aren't that easy when you are trying to administer them using volunteers. We don't have the human resources available at the moment. We can do anything we want. We just can't do everything that we want.

These days it's hard to know which way to go. Maybe something with an App so people can play chess on their public transit commute going to work and back home. Technology moves fast.
    I am a big fan of the writings of Peter Drucker on business and management including his various writings on non-profits. We need to focus on what we can and should do.

Comment

Re: what they usually say ....

lol. And then there are those who pretend not to troll when they are. Have a nice day.
      Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

Originally posted by Nigel Hanrahan View Post
        ... The other thing is that a continuous series of pointless personal questions - like those addressed to me in the other thread, for example - can be a form of trolling. The idea of this sort of trolling is to entangle someone in meaningless arguments unrelated to the thread, perhaps provoking a response, possibly with the ultimate aim of closing or deleting the thread. ...
        I think your comments above are self-serving and disingenuous. The questions to which you refer were written by the poster named Nata. Despite Nata's English fluency issues, I'll bet it was obvious to most people that Nata was simply trying to establish what your degree of credibility was with respect to your comments on Kasparov, Russia, etc. You avoided answering his questions, thereby establishing the credibility of your comments (or lack thereof).

By the way, in your last response to Garland Best, it seems to me that you were calling Garland a troll. Looks like a personal attack.
        "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
        "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
        "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

What a wonderful thread - about everything. Where are moderators when they are needed?

The chesstalk will not die if Vlad will leave or tell that. It survived two K debates, it definitly will survive this turmoil

Other discussions are off topics.

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
            What a wonderful thread - about everything. Where are moderators when they are needed?

The chesstalk will not die if Vlad will leave or tell that. It survived two K debates, it definitly will survive this turmoil

Other discussions are off topics.
            It seems that many of the off topic discussions are the most popular; that says something. Actual chess discussions are quite rare
            (I mean discussion of variations, positions, lines, openings, endings etc - things that might require a diagram and some notation).
            I remember thinking "there goes the neighborhood" when the climate change/warming/toasting thread began and that was
            reinforced by the thread on the next Federal government... One exception to this general observation is the blindfold chess topic
            which has a large interest it seems.

Nigel assumed I just want to silence views that differ from my own (not at all the case) but useless debate that turns into personal
            attacks should, in my opinion, just be binned (deleted).

This is ChessTalk isn't it?

Politics of chess (only) should be permitted provided it is thoughtful and respectful - in the view of the moderator(s) - since this is
            a private board, Larry and his appointed moderators should rightfully be left to judge that criterion.
            ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

It had already crossed my mind that this thread had many different ideas being discussed, but since some people thought personal insults should be left to stand, I was afraid to think what they might do if I started to make changes here. I decided to just let the discussion go wherever it wants to.

Comment

Re: what the moderator noted

Originally posted by Nigel Hanrahan View Post
                Moderator Brian P: "Calling people nuts is a personal attack. Saying that an idea is crazy is not." Seems clear enough to me.
                I would like to support that idea as said above! Nothing to add or deduct.

Comment

Since Nigel considers my post trolling, I would like to hear from others, possibly the moderator.

Full disclosure: Yes, I do disagree with many of Nigel's posts and I often feel that they are written in a way to provoke an emotional response. In that regard, I consider many of his posts to be trolling as well. This is part of the point behind my posts. However what Nigel just considered trolling, I call debating. I would be interested to know if the general reader agrees with me or Nigel.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter McKillop View Post
                    By the way, in your last response to Garland Best, it seems to me that you were calling Garland a troll. Looks like a personal attack.
                    LOL! I came THIS CLOSE to posting the same, but stopped, as I didn't want it to appear that I was trolling!:p

Comment

Troll

Originally posted by Garland Best View Post
                      LOL! I came THIS CLOSE to posting the same, but stopped, as I didn't want it to appear that I was trolling!:p
                      From Wikipedia: In Internet slang, a troll (/ˈtroʊl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people,[1] by posting inflammatory,[2] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[3] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.[4]

This sense of the word troll and its associated verb trolling are associated with Internet discourse [mostly].

Hope this is of some help to this interesting thread on the life or death of Chesstalk!

Bob A

Comment

Would be interesting to get Nigel's view on the new Canada's sanctions against Russia. http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/john...ssia-1.2767872
                        Or tomorrow's visit of Ukrainian President to Canada addressing the Canadian Parliament!

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                          Anyone starting up their own organization wouldn't likely want to embrace the CFC model.

Servers aren't that hard. Austin wrote Schemingmind (you can google it if you want) in hs spare time. It's been around more than a decade.

These days it's hard to know which way to go. Maybe something with an App so people can play chess on their public transit commute going to work and back home. Technology moves fast.
                          I think that Schemingmind is a little simpler than the type of server that some people here are advocating for. Schemingmind is for online correspondence chess (if I understand correctly) and as such does not require real-time response like a chess server does. It is like the difference between a bulletin bpard like ChessTalk and something an environment like Second Life. Neither software application is trivial but the real-time aspect makes things much more complicated. In either case, you would be foolish to try and write your own software and purchasing something decent and hosting it would not be cheap.

Personally I feel the idea of creating a CFC chess server is foolish. There are not nearly enough CFC members nor will there ever be to justify the software development and server costs. As has been noted here in other posts, businesses that are trying to make a go of providing online chess find it a challenge. Making some sort of deal with an existing high quality chess server is another thing altogether. But I have to wonder about the wisdom of this. I enjoy playing chess person-to-person. If I wanted to play online would I not just buy myself a membership. Do I need the CFC to do that for me?

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Karpik View Post
                            But I have to wonder about the wisdom of this. I enjoy playing chess person-to-person. If I wanted to play online would I not just buy myself a membership. Do I need the CFC to do that for me?
                            It seems that the blame for the lack of CFC membership is ascribed to the rise in popularity of online chess. To some, therefore, the "solution" must be to get in that space too.

Many people are reducing their real-world encounters in favour of (possibly anonymous) interaction on the Internet - this is not necessarily a good thing but the jury is still out.
                            ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

no talk of war crimes? Who'd of thunk it?

Originally posted by Sasha Starr View Post
                              Or tomorrow's visit of Ukrainian President to Canada addressing the Canadian Parliament!
                              Will the Parliamentarians bother to ask about the documented war crimes by his brutal regime?

Amnesty International: Ukraine must stop ongoing abuses and war crimes ...

Probably not. This is all about brainwashing and fooling Ukrainian-Canadian voters. Too bad the NDP and Liberals aren't able to provide any sort of alternative.
                              Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

Re: no talk of war crimes? Who'd of thunk it?

Note the following points in the article you presented:

"The Ukrainian authorities must not replicate the lawlessness and abuses that have prevailed in areas previously held by separatists,” said Salil Shetty, Amnesty International Secretary General from Kyiv."

"The Ukrainian Prime Minister expressed the government's commitment to bringing all perpetrators of conflict related abuses to account."
                                "Amnesty International welcomes the Ukrainian government's commitment to restore and ensure justice in the conflict affected areas. We will hold them to this promise,"

As I read the article, it appears that there is a rogue volunteer batillion commiting these acts, and the government was not properly controlling them.

If the government clamps down, and brings the batilion leaders to justice, then your description of the Ukrainian government as a brutal regime is excessive. From the sound of the article, the separists were comitting similar acts.

Besides, from the sounds of things, the Ukaine has caved in and agreed to practically all of the separists/Russia's demands. The area will be essentially a semi-autonous state within the Ukraine. Doesn't sound like the acts of brutal regime to me.

Comment

Working...
                                X