CFC newsletter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CFC newsletter

The latest CFC Newsletter arrived today (June?) - with announcements for tournaments which took place as long ago as late August. Wouldn't it have been appropriate to remove those announcements at the last minute before sending it out?

Re: CFC newsletter

I've never received a CFC Newsletter (I probably have to register somehow) but shouldn't a June newsletter come out in June or is this normal?

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
      The latest CFC Newsletter arrived today (June?) - with announcements for tournaments which took place as long ago as late August. Wouldn't it have been appropriate to remove those announcements at the last minute before sending it out?
      Yes. This is unfortunate. For lack of a better word let's say that there were logistical problems after John finished with the issue and sent it to the CFC office in August; and our subsequently getting it out to the masses. I would expect the next issue out in a couple of weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan Yu View Post
        I've never received a CFC Newsletter (I probably have to register somehow) but shouldn't a June newsletter come out in June or is this normal?
        Jonathan. If you are a CFC member, send your e-mail address to info@chess.ca and you'll start getting the newsletter.

Comment

Wouldn't it be simpler to send smoke signals to announce a tournament?

Comment

Reminds me of the final years of Canadian Chess Chat where issues arrived so long after their date that someone looking now at old editions might wonder how a tournament played in October managed to get reported in June of the same year.

Comment

At one point, "chess Chat" simply skipped a year. The November-December 1972 issue reports (among others) the results of the Ottawa Open of March 24-25, 1973 (I tied for 3rd!). The next issue was dated January-February, 1974.

Comment

Just did it. Thanks Fred!

Comment

The CFC must keep with deadlines - an issue every month.

Comment

At one point, "chess Chat" simply skipped a year. The November-December 1972 issue reports (among others) the results of the Ottawa Open of March 24-25, 1973 (I tied for 3rd!). The next issue was dated January-February, 1974.
                    Didn't MAD magazine deliberately date their issues for the following month so it would never be late?!

http://www.amazon.ca/Absolutely-MAD-.../dp/B000HKMQ64
                    ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
                      The CFC must keep with deadlines - an issue every month.
                      Or change the deadlines and go to 6 issues a year, or at least 10 with a break in the summer and winter.

Recent issues are HUGE and could easily have been cut in half.

Comment

I just noticed that out of 35 annotated games only 2 don't include the opening. Is this a new policy to protect the players' opening preparation?

Comment

Re : Re: CFC newsletter

Originally posted by J. Ken MacDonald View Post
                          Or change the deadlines and go to 6 issues a year, or at least 10 with a break in the summer and winter.

Recent issues are HUGE and could easily have been cut in half.
                          The best solution would be what I should have done with Chess Canada in the early 70's >>>>>>
                          Instead of labeling each issue by the month, simply number them : 2015 - #1, #2, #3 etc for however many you put out by year's end. Then the next year start with 2016 - #1, #2, #3 etc

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
                            Didn't MAD magazine deliberately date their issues for the following month so it would never be late?!

http://www.amazon.ca/Absolutely-MAD-.../dp/B000HKMQ64
                            Hi Kerry:

A lot of magazines deliberately dated their issues for the month after the issue was likely to hit newsstands. A lot of outlets would pull the "old" issue as soon as the month-end occurred.

Steve

Comment

Working...
                            X