X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

nhlers with some politics

Originally posted by Garland Best View Post
    Don't tell that to the following people:

Ken Dryden=Liberal hack. But a pretty smart guy, I will give you that.
    Frank Mahovlich = Croation, pathological anti-Communist. Not so smart. But an artist as a hockey player. My hero as a boy. Truth.
    Peter Stastny = dunno. Someone else can fill in the blanks.
    Red Kelly = the originator of the NHLPA. Oh yeah. Black-listed by the owners.
    Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

Re: nhlers with some politics

Originally posted by Nigel Hanrahan View Post
      Red Kelly = the originator of the NHLPA. Oh yeah. Black-listed by the owners.
      You seem to be having problems with the quote feature. In your post you attributed the above to Garland. All Garland did was list "Red Kelly" amongst the others. You added the rest.

As for the rest, can you support this in any way?

I don't remember Kelly being the originator of the NHLPA. And I don't remember him being black-listed by the owners. I *do* remember "pyramid power". And him being replaced by Roger Neilson (aka "Captain Video"),

Steve

Comment

Re: Snowden says " .... the US gov't decided to revoke my passport and trap me in Mos

Steve wrote:

I don't remember Kelly being the originator of the NHLPA. And I don't remember him being black-listed by the owners.
        It was Ted Lindsay (he played for Detroit with Kelly at the time).

Comment

Re: Snowden says " .... the US gov't decided to revoke my passport and trap me in Mos

Frank Mahovlich = Croation, pathological anti-Communist. Not so smart. But an artist as a hockey player. My hero as a boy. Truth.
          There were good reasons to be a pathological anti-Communist if you were Croatian.

Comment

blacklisting by trading, demotion to the minors, etc.

Originally posted by Steve Douglas View Post
            I don't remember Kelly being the originator of the NHLPA. And I don't remember him being black-listed by the owners.
            Might have got him mixed up with Ted Lindsay and some of the other activists who were traded and/or demoted to the minor leagues when the NHL broke the union. The Wikipedia entry only mentions Lindsay but uses the plural ("players") without mentioning the names of the other players black-listed. Red Kelly was traded in 1959, not in the 1957-1958 season, so more research is needed. Certainly any talk of a union in those days earned a loud denunciation as a communist. Not much has changed.

Makes me want to see "Net Worth" again.
            Last edited by Nigel Hanrahan; Monday, 23rd May, 2016, 12:45 PM.

Comment

"This Poor Guy," "All He Wants To Do Is Go To War And Kill People".

Donald Trump recently mocked Bill Kristol as follows: "This Poor Guy," "All He Wants To Do Is Go To War And Kill People".

Trump blasts "loser" Kristol.

How does this relate to Kasparov?

Because Kristol and Kasparov share political views. Take a look at the recent interview of Kasparov by Kristol. But what is significant here, is the softballs that he lobs Kasparov. These are buddies. They share the aggressive and enthusiastic appetite for endless war. And Donald Trump just calls a spade a spade.

Kristol interviews Kasparov

For those who don't want to wade through all the mutual love between Kristol and Kasparov, one very key political point:

Reagan's insistence on pursuing SDI ("Star Wars") was, in Kasparov's view, the beginning of the end of the Soviet Union. Just to be clear, SDI is part of the infrastructure for "first strike" nuclear war. So Kasparov cheers Reagan precisely for his insistence on preparing for World War III (against the advice of his own military planners, etc. ) .

This relates to today's politics in disturbing ways. The US, under Obama [and strong neo-con influence], has proceeded with the SDI type of arms development and is currently deploying these weapons in Romania and Poland. In the past, the US has claimed that "the Iranian threat" was the reason for this deployment. But everyone knows, especially since the recent agreements with Iran on nuclear development in that country, that this is simply a falsehood. The weapons are aimed at Russia and the US is still planning a first strike. It is still part of their official military doctrine, long after the Soviet Union came to an end (now 25 years ago), and shows, perhaps better than any other example, where this aggressive neo-con posture inevitably leads to.

Russia is simply a target. It could easily be some other country. And recent history shows the names of those targets: Yugoslavia, Afghanistan, Iraq, Libya, Syria, and so on.

I must confess that I found the interview interesting even if Kristol and Kasparov are so wrong on this key issue.

Comment

Re: blacklisting by trading, demotion to the minors, etc.

Might have got him mixed up with Ted Lindsay and some of the other activists who were traded and/or demoted to the minor leagues when the NHL broke the union. The Wikipedia entry only mentions Lindsay but uses the plural ("players") without mentioning the names of the other players black-listed. Red Kelly was traded in 1959, not in the 1957-1958 season, so more research is needed. Certainly any talk of a union in those days earned a loud denunciation as a communist. Not much has changed.

Makes me want to see "Net Worth" again.
                So you got the player wrong, but since there was a vague reference to "other players" you think you might be correct after all somehow (but more research is needed). With that logic I can demonstrate that the "player" you were thinking about is Hugh Hefner. Or one of many bunnies. Research away.

I also think you need to look up the definition of "blacklist": both the formal and what is generally understood by the public. (i.e. "Hollywood Blacklist")

Steve

Comment

blacklisting and two mints in one.

It's noteworthy that you would try to trivialize such blacklists while presuming to educate me on them.

Two mints in one?

Comment

Re: "This Poor Guy," "All He Wants To Do Is Go To War And Kill People".

I don't know why I allow myself to get sucked into this stuff, but oh well ...

1) SDI itself probably had very little to do with the fall of the USSR. The USSR collapsed because economically communism could not compete. On the other hand it is probable that the arms build-up of the early 80's sped up the USSR collapse, as defence spending consumed about 25% of their economy. There is significant documentation for and against this.

2) While many of Reagan's opponents saw SDI as a first strike threat (including the USSR) that was not how Reagan envisioned it. While Reagan was initially a hawk against the "evil empire", at the same time nuclear war was abhorent to him. Reagan became a strong supporter of nuclear disarmanent, particularly in his second adminstration. The Reykjavik summit came very close to eliminating the nuclear arsenals, although Reagan devotion to SDI eventually scuttled the talks.

For interesting discussions of the time, refer of the following:

http://russianforces.org/podvig/2013..._the_col.shtml
                    http://wais.stanford.edu/History/his...randreagan.htm
                    http://www.theatlantic.com/past/poli...gn/reagrus.htm
                    Last edited by Garland Best; Thursday, 26th May, 2016, 08:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Garland Best View Post
                      I don't know why I allow myself to get sucked into this stuff, but oh well ...

1) SDI itself probably had very little to do with the fall of the USSR. The USSR collapsed because economically communism could not compete. On the other hand it is probable that the arms build-up of the early 80's sped up the USSR collapse, as defence spending consumed about 25% of their economy. There is significant documentation for and against this.
                      I quoted Kasparov here while not agreeing with him. IMHO, this view of his (and his interlocutor) fits with his other views, i.e., the necessity of endless preparation for war. This is a view that he still believes in. The USSR, Russia - it makes no difference. Hence all the chatter which lumps together pre-1991 Russia with Russia of today. The enemy is the enemy ... forever. It's almost racist.

(2) While many of Reagan's opponents saw SDI as a first strike threat (including the USSR) that was not how Reagan envisioned it.... Reagan devotion to SDI eventually scuttled the talks.
                      SDI relates to the ABM Treaty. What we are talking about is weapons that will shoot down a retaliatory strike (a response to a first strike, by definition) or make retaliation less effective. These weapons make no sense EXCEPT as first strike weapons. If you genuinely want to reduce the risk of a nuclear attack, the much simpler approach is to reduce the quantity, size, and quality of existing nuclear weapons on all sides, down to zero if you can. [Sidebar: It's noteworthy that some non-nuclear weapons are now nearly as lethal as nuclear weapons.]

First strike is still official US military doctrine. So in that sense, the neo-cons and those who share Kasparov's views are still running the show.

Comment

First strike is still official US military doctrine.
                        IRC, Russia might use the first strike too.

Comment

Re: blacklisting and two mints in one.

It's noteworthy that you would try to trivialize such blacklists while presuming to educate me on them.

Two mints in one?
                          You have a bad habit with regard to netiquette. You keep changing the subject line to advance your argument without acknowledging what the original subject was.

As for my original point. You:

a. quoted another poster and amended the quote to make it look like the original poster had made the comment.

b. stated (through your quote hijacking) that Red Kelly was "the originator of the NHLPA. Oh yeah. Black-listed by the owners.". That statement was completely false.

c. then claimed you got Red Kelly confused with Ted Lindsay, but that somehow Red Kelly still could have been either an originator of the NHLPA or blacklisted by the owners.

d. now try to evade the issue completely and choose to go ad hominem.

e. have yet to explain how even Ted Lindsay was blacklisted by the owners. (please note the plural)

Steve

P.S. In case you haven't figured it out. Your original statement was bullcrap and it was completely improper for you to deliberately, flagrantly, misquote another poster.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve
                            a. quoted another poster and amended the quote to make it look like the original poster had made the comment.
                            This is not much better than a spelling flame. You discredit yourself ascribing some mischievous aim to a quoting error. Grow up.

b. stated (through your quote hijacking) that Red Kelly was "the originator of the NHLPA. Oh yeah. Black-listed by the owners.". That statement was completely false.
                            BS. It is unproven. Apparently, I have to repeat the argument; the wiki piece notes that "players" -note the plural - were traded and/or demoted to the minors as retribution for trying to organize a PA. You DID actually READ the Wiki piece, right?

c. then claimed you got Red Kelly confused with Ted Lindsay, but that somehow Red Kelly still could have been either an originator of the NHLPA or blacklisted by the owners.
                            Try to get your story straight, OK? My claim is that Kelly may have been one of those "players" blacklisted. I even noted that he HAD been traded, but a year later, and if you had bothered to read the circumstances of that trade, you would have noted the spurious reasoning given for the trade. So it's still plausible.

d. now try to evade the issue completely and choose to go ad hominem.
                            Your quote: "Your original statement was bullcrap and it was completely improper for you to deliberately, flagrantly, misquote another poster."

Actually, I thought you were doing a great job of that all by yourself.

e. have yet to explain how even Ted Lindsay was blacklisted by the owners. (please note the plural)
                            OK, so you really haven't read the article and now you want me to spoon feed it to you? lol. No thanks.

Just to be clear - where do you actually stand on the right of workers - note the plural - to organize and bargain collectively? Why do I ask? Because arguing with an advocate of management thuggery is mostly a waste of time.

Have a nice day.

Comment

Because arguing with an advocate of management thuggery is mostly a waste of time.
                              You originally claimed that Red Kelly was the originator of the NHLPA and that he was blacklisted as a result. I challenged you on that statement. You have then backtracked to say that your claim is "unproven". It's not my job to support your claim. It's yours.

Furthermore, you made the claim by assigning it in a quote to another poster. You haven't apologized for that, admitted any wrongdoing, and seem to feel it is nothing worse than a spelling error on your part.

And now you make the ad hominem attack quoted above.

I don't think I'm the one who needs to "grow up" here.

Steve

Comment

Working...
                              X