How can we increase the number of CFC members?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How can we increase the number of CFC members?

Originally posted by Scott Richardson View Post
    Kevin Spraggett's blog featured Ashley Tapp. He featured Alexandra Botez and look who and what he's featuring now. His prerogative. He's a brilliant guy and has a problem with women.
    I can only *hope* that most kids (and their parents) involved in Chess in Canada
    do NOT venture over to KS's blog thinking they are going to read about chess.
    Sure, there is some chess content (and as I have said before, high quality chess content)
    but it is overshadowed by the gratuitous garbage. KS has become the Howard Stern of chess.
    ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
      KS has become the Howard Stern of chess.
      ROTFL! :D That line is sooo good!

Did you know that Howard Stern plays chess and has a coach? Dan Heisman coaches him.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
        I can only *hope* that most kids (and their parents) involved in Chess in Canada
        do NOT venture over to KS's blog thinking they are going to read about chess.
        Sure, there is some chess content (and as I have said before, high quality chess content)
        but it is overshadowed by the gratuitous garbage. KS has become the Howard Stern of chess.
        Good point.

Comment

Originally posted by Garland Best View Post
          I really do not understand the basis for this post. Kevin's blog aside, I am not aware of objectification of women within Canadian chess. Instead I see a great deal of promotion of women in Canadian chess (Ashley Tapp, Alexandra Botex, Yualing Yuan, Harmony Zhu, Qiyu Zhou). At the RA Chess Club, women players are given the same opportunities as men. And I have not witnessed stigmatizing of women at chess tournaments.

If anything, I think the issues are not from within the CFC but outside. Chess's reputation as a game for nerds or old men is not so flattering. There are those trying to change that image world wide (the Polgar sisters come to mind), but results so far are limited.

So be specific. HOW is the CFC suppsed to be proactive.
          It is not enough.
          We are aware of the suppression, degradation and humiliation directed at women.
          It's a so called "man's world". Unlike climate change or who's cheating who, there is no doubt. Put yourself in the shoes of your daughter, sister or wife and then look around at the world. We won a lottery being able to live in Canada. I didn't have to do anything, I was just born here.

The CFC is the membership, and unique in that its members are thinking citizens, whether the members play chess themselves or are trying to get the best education possible for their children. We need to mobilize the membership.
          Why not take advantage of this unique group of individuals, this 'think tank', to brainstorm and come up with initiatives to promote chess in schools, to lobby the government to make chess education a priority and towards girls participation especially, relentlessly . Working together towards one goal, encouraging and allowing more girls to play chess.
          In light of the plight of women now, a planned publicity campaign of the Federation's initiatives, backed whole hardheartedly by it's membership. This is the time. This is how the CFC could be proactive.

A guy like John Upper putting in the time creating a great online magazine. I'm sure Liza could find someone or two to create a magazine about women in chess. The membership needs information. The place would be on the CFC site.

We need cash and tournaments are the vehicle to get cash to finance a " Women in chess" fund. Again it's mobilizing the membership towards that goal. A few dollars added to each tournament fee.
          If the FQE and the CFC could work together. Canadian chess could be a leader.

Comment

Great idea Scott but the ugly truth is that there are plenty of "old boys" (and maybe some young ones as well) who would rather see the CFC fail than see such an initiative succeed. Male dominated social organizations are sometimes like the tree-forts of pre-adolescent boys in which enormous efforts are made to keep girls ... out, leaving precious little energy for anything else.

About half of the players in my local club are girls and women, something I have worked at but which requires continuous effort. That effort is worth it.
            Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

While there are only a few female players in the RA Chess Club, I have always made it a point to make them all feel as welcome as possible. Perhaps more active encouragement is needed to get more to join, but the same can be said of club members in general.

Yes we are very lucky to live in Canada. I'm sure that both my wife and daughter are grateful to live here. I actually discussed the concept of women's equality in the workforce. In more and more cases the opportunities are equally open for both sexes, but biases are there on both sides.

On this board I have seen anti-women posts. I don't deny it. Complaints about women getting an unfair advantage by having a women's olympic team and an open olympic team, as well as women's titles awarded at lower levels. So I would be blind to say it does not exist. However the posts seem to always come from individual players on the fringe and not from the organizers and volunteers in chess. Maybe I'm wrong. But I think that on the whole the chess community's attitude towards women is healthy.

Comment

Getting back to the topic at hand, do we seriously think "the CFC" (Bob sitting in his lonely office and a few volunteer executives) can do much, even if we raided the Foundation (over my dead body) or gave them FIDE cash in envelopes or told them to go see corporate Canada for sponsorships?
                There are promising niches of chess in Canada (junior chess, senior chess, military chess) but their fragile existance depends on the wonderful volunteers who put their time and money into organizing, directing, promoting and playing chess at the local and provincial levels.
                OK, I'm a CFC Life Member, that should tell you something about where my loyalties lie but I don't buy into 'big expensive CFC top down initiatives". Maybe I'm missing the vision thing.
                Paul Leblanc
                Treasurer Chess Foundation of Canada

Comment

I wanna tell you about adding number . It will not be decline.......
                  Free Download Games | PC Game Download

Comment

death to spam.

I was going to send a PM to the Moderator Brian P about the spam here ... but he's not listed anymore. Does anyone know what happened?
                    Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

Working...
                    X