Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time

Alejandro Ramirez had some intriguing comments upon time in his 2nd report on the Maurice Ashley/Amy Lee 'Millionaire 2014' tournament in Las Vegas. He cites using too much time as "the worst mistake a chess player can make". To quote Alejandro directly:

Sometimes things go completely wrong. Your opening preparation misses, things are not clicking. I arrived at a positionally complex situation, and I made the worst mistake a chess player can make: I used too much time.

Time control is not something Maurice and I see eye to eye on. For me faster time controls based on increment are the future, 25+10, 3+2. The archaic two hours for 40, one hour to finish plus five second delay is not good for chess, especially as most players are now used to their 30 second increment, but I digress.

Tangenitially, and having nothing whatsoever to do with chess (unless you can convince an arbiter that time doesn't exist), some might enjoy this 'Lapham's Quarterly' essay on time, 'The Grand Illusion' (:

http://www.laphamsquarterly.org/time/grand-illusion#
    Last edited by Jack Maguire; Monday, 20th October, 2014, 09:10 AM.

Re: Time

Many years ago I was paired against Peter Biyassis (I think he was an IM but not yet a GM). I spent 30 or 40 minutes on a (to me) complicated position then made a dumb move. Afterwards Peter said that he knew I would choose an awful move based on how much time I wasted thinking about the position.
    Paul Leblanc
    Treasurer Chess Foundation of Canada

Comment

Probably the most misspelt name in Canadian chess. Two "i"s, two "a"s, two "s"s - Biyiasas.

Comment

Stephen wrote:

Probably the most misspelt name in Canadian chess. Two "i"s, two "a"s, two "s"s - Biyiasas.
        Grant Spraggett (Kevin's brother) used to say: "Spell my name with two G's and two T's". We would then answer: "G-G-R-A-N-T-T". :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Leblanc View Post
          Many years ago I was paired against Peter Biyassis (I think he was an IM but not yet a GM). I spent 30 or 40 minutes on a (to me) complicated position then made a dumb move. Afterwards Peter said that he knew I would choose an awful move based on how much time I wasted thinking about the position.
          I had an amusing incident Monday night at the ACC when after my 20th move in a roughly equal Portuguese Scandinavian, with me wielding the Black pieces and wanting to leave the club early if at all possible, I offered a draw. After a very long deep think I was sure my opponent was going to extend his hand and accept my draw offer since my time advantage was becoming more and more significant. Much to my surprise, he moved his undeveloped Rook on a1 to d1 with the words, "I think I want to play this out." I looked at the Rook, looked at him, and couldn't help but start laughing. I had a Queen on h5 so he'd just hung his Rook. He then immediately extended his hand and said, "I resign". Thus I'd won a game that I never played another move after my draw offer (:

Comment

Working...
          X