Any Chess-Related organizations in Canada with charitable status ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Chess-Related organizations in Canada with charitable status ?

Question:

I know the CFC does not have charitable status, but is there any chess-related organization that does? Does Chess and Math? What about chess in the library?

I bring this up because I have been contacted by an executive of an estate who wants to donate to chess, but the money has to go to a registered charitable organization. The donation would be $200/year, indefinitely.

Re: Any Chess-Related organizations in Canada with charitable status ?

Do a search at the CRA website. I believe Ken Jensen's organisation in BC is still a charity. They give chess equipment to schools.

Comment

Originally posted by Garland Best View Post
      Question:

I know the CFC does not have charitable status, but is there any chess-related organization that does? Does Chess and Math? What about chess in the library?

I bring this up because I have been contacted by an executive of an estate who wants to donate to chess, but the money has to go to a registered charitable organization. The donation would be $200/year, indefinitely.
      I tried Googling for the Chess Foundation of Canada (thinking that it might have Charitable status...) but I could NOT find much of a damn thing about it. I did not notice any links on the CFC website either (I may have missed something there). It isn't relevant to your original question, but perhaps this difficulty might explain why not too many donations come the way of the Foundation... it should at least have a subpage at the CFC site with info about how and why to donate etc.

Anyway, good luck in your quest.
      ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by John Coleman View Post
        Do a search at the CRA website. I believe Ken Jensen's organisation in BC is still a charity. They give chess equipment to schools.
        my understanding is that Ken Jensen's organization is defunct.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
          I tried Googling for the Chess Foundation of Canada (thinking that it might have Charitable status...) but I could NOT find much of a damn thing about it. I did not notice any links on the CFC website either (I may have missed something there). It isn't relevant to your original question, but perhaps this difficulty might explain why not too many donations come the way of the Foundation... it should at least have a subpage at the CFC site with info about how and why to donate etc.

Anyway, good luck in your quest.
          Hi Kerry:

The Chess Foundation of Canada is not really a separate legal entity from the CFC...it is actually part of the CFC, and hence also has no charitable status. There have been discussions ongoing for years whether CFC should spin off the Foundation into a separate entity, and let it get charitable status. It's just that the CFC then legally does lose control over the money.....the Foundation would have a separate legal structure.

Bob A

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
            Hi Kerry:

The Chess Foundation of Canada is not really a separate legal entity from the CFC...it is actually part of the CFC, and hence also has no charitable status. There have been discussions ongoing for years whether CFC should spin off the Foundation into a separate entity, and let it get charitable status. It's just that the CFC then legally does lose control over the money.....the Foundation would have a separate legal structure.

Bob A
            Based on the regulations given to us when we lost our status, I don't think the Chess Foundation would qualify, unless it's money went towards Junior Chess / Educational.

We know that we have to register with the RCAAA (if we are acceptable to them).

Comment

What about the Pugi fund? Could we get that to qualify?

Comment

I searched the CRA site for any charities with chess or echecs. Only match I can find is "L'ACADÉMIE D'ÉCHECS INC", based in Drummondville.

Perhaps there is a charitable organization that offers chess activities that does not have chess in their name, like a Church that gives space for a chess club?

Comment

The real question is... how did the CFC ever lose its charitable status in the first place..?

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Shaw View Post
                    The real question is... how did the CFC ever lose its charitable status in the first place..?
                    It was answered many times. Use SEARCH function here or on the CFC forum site. And the CFC did not lose the status, it was annulled.

Comment

Andy, you asked the same question about a week ago. I answered then: http://www.chesstalk.info/forum/show...8584#post88584

Either you have poor reading skills or a poor memory.

Comment

There is an entire chapter in the CFC Handbook about the Foundation and the financial reports are posted on the website.
                        When I first took over managing the Foundation I did quite a bit of campaigning for contributions. At that time donations were tax deductible. There was little interest in the chess community to donate either before or after the charitable status was removed. Three people mentioned to me that the Foundation or Pugi Fund was in their last will and testament irregardless of tax deductibility.
                        Life memberships remain the principal source of funds for the Foundation.
                        Paul Leblanc
                        Treasurer Chess Foundation of Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
                          It was answered many times. Use SEARCH function here or on the CFC forum site. And the CFC did not lose the status, it was annulled.
                          It was the decision of the Canadian Government that we should never should have been granted charitable status. This was the result of a review of many charitable organizations.

Comment

Originally posted by John Coleman View Post
                            Andy, you asked the same question about a week ago. I answered then: http://www.chesstalk.info/forum/show...8584#post88584

Either you have poor reading skills or a poor memory.
                            Thanks John, I missed your post.

Comment

Originally posted by Garland Best View Post
                              an executive of an estate who wants to donate to chess, but the money has to go to a registered charitable organization. The donation would be $200/year, indefinitely.
                              If they decide to brush "charity", there are many chess related non-for-profit orgs, like the Aurora Chess Club. We would find a good cause :)

Comment

Working...
                              X