Tournaments in 2015 - Toronto / GTA / Hamilton / Kitchener / Guelph & nearby areas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tournaments in 2015 - Toronto / GTA / Hamilton / Kitchener / Guelph & nearby areas

Attention Chess Players in Toronto / GTA and surrounding areas :

Year 2014 is coming to an end soon with about 40 days to go......

Please find the tournaments coming up in 2015 ( based on past years history )

Jan / Feb - Buffalo Int / Guelph / Hart House / Hamilton

Mar / Apr - Kitchener / Aurora / OCC ( CMA ) / OYCC / Niagara Falls

May / June - Ontario Open / Guelph / Buffalo International

July / Aug - Aurora / Canadian Amateur / NA Junior / Hamilton

Sep / Oct - Toronto Labour / Toronto Thanksgiving / Aurora / Mississauga / Kitchener

Nov / Dec - Guelph / Campbelville / Hart House

Please plan ahead which tournaments that you are going to play. Please give your full support to these tournaments for the tournaments to grow further. Without your participation and support, how else can the chess in Canada grows....The best in terms of number of players is still Hart House with more than 100 players easily each time they hosted the tournament. Let`s increase it to 200 then.....can we.....

I have added Buffalo in the list as they are nearby neighbour and they have two big tournaments every year, one of which guarantees $ 10k in total prize money. Details to be announced in future.

We have a couple of excellent TDs such as Hal Bond, Patrick MacDonald, Graeme Knight, Garvin Nunes etc. Let`s give our full support to them next year . With more players in each tournaments, then we can dream of better prizes, lower entry fees, more sections in future, better facilities etc. Don't wait until last minute to register.......will you....

We have two world champions in Qiyu Zhou and Harmony Zhu and our latest IM Razvan Preotu and I think the future looks much brighter than before. Our GM Eric Hansen is near Elo 2600 and with our GM Anton K Elo above 2600 and GM Bator S as excellent as ever, next Olympiad certainly looks brighter.

Cheers for Chess in Canada

Gary Hua
    Last edited by Gary Hua; Wednesday, 19th November, 2014, 08:43 PM.

Re: Tournaments in 2015 - Toronto / GTA / Hamilton / Kitchener / Guelph & nearby area

Thanks Gary. I wish more players would register early.
    Gord called me yesterday to discuss Campbellville 2015 schedule. We would like to get 3 or 4 dates for 2015 booked ASAP. But the exercise to avoid conflicts is exhausting. Top marks to organizers Graeme Knight (Aurora) and Corinna Wan (Seneca Hill) who have already posted 2015 schedules.

I just wish more organizers would register their tournaments with CFC for the free postings. I pledge to get them posted ASAP.

And again, players, please register early. Give your local chess organizer a break.
    Last edited by Bob Gillanders; Thursday, 20th November, 2014, 10:16 AM.

Comment

Re: Tournaments in 2015 - Toronto / GTA / Hamilton / Kitchener / Guelph & nearby area

Non-weekenders:

GTCL League (Jan/Feb )
      Toronto Closed (March/May)
      GTCL Cup (May or June)

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Hua View Post
        Attention Chess Players in Toronto / GTA and surrounding areas :

Year 2014 is coming to an end soon with about 40 days to go......

Please find the tournaments coming up in 2015 ( based on past years history )

Jan / Feb - Buffalo Int / Guelph / Hart House / Hamilton

Mar / Apr - Kitchener / Aurora / OCC ( CMA ) / OYCC / Niagara Falls

May / June - Ontario Open / Guelph / Buffalo International

July / Aug - Aurora / Canadian Amateur / NA Junior / Hamilton

Sep / Oct - Toronto Labour / Toronto Thanksgiving / Aurora / Mississauga / Kitchener

Nov / Dec - Guelph / Campbelville / Hart House

Please plan ahead which tournaments that you are going to play. Please give your full support to these tournaments for the tournaments to grow further. Without your participation and support, how else can the chess in Canada grows....The best in terms of number of players is still Hart House with more than 100 players easily each time they hosted the tournament. Let`s increase it to 200 then.....can we.....

I have added Buffalo in the list as they are nearby neighbour and they have two big tournaments every year, one of which guarantees $ 10k in total prize money. Details to be announced in future.

We have a couple of excellent TDs such as Hal Bond, Patrick MacDonald, Graeme Knight, Garvin Nunes etc. Let`s give our full support to them next year . With more players in each tournaments, then we can dream of better prizes, lower entry fees, more sections in future, better facilities etc. Don't wait until last minute to register.......will you....

We have two world champions in Qiyu Zhou and Harmony Zhu and our latest IM Razvan Preotu and I think the future looks much brighter than before. Our GM Eric Hansen is near Elo 2600 and with our GM Anton K Elo above 2600 and GM Bator S as excellent as ever, next Olympiad certainly looks brighter.

Cheers for Chess in Canada

Gary Hua

Just to confirm that Hart House is hosting one in December as advertised, and February 2015 as well (Feb 14-15-16 I believe)

Alex F.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
          And again, players, please register early. Give your local chess organizer a break.
          Probably not all of the blame is the players - some belongs to the organizers. For Victoria Chess tournaments, something like 90-95% of registration is done early which makes the situation on site much easier. What is needed is the appropriate mix of lots of advance notice for events, easy online registration and payment, and choice of early bird rates.

Comment

Originally posted by Roger Patterson View Post
            Probably not all of the blame is the players - some belongs to the organizers. For Victoria Chess tournaments, something like 90-95% of registration is done early which makes the situation on site much easier. What is needed is the appropriate mix of lots of advance notice for events, easy online registration and payment, and choice of early bird rates.
            Or early bird specials such as lunch included or food vouchers such as has happened in Campbellville.

Comment

I travel from BC to Ontario 3 times a year and try to fit in a chess tournament whenever possible. I need lots of lead time because I book my flights when the price is advantageous or when I can get a flight using loyalty points.
              Paul Leblanc
              Treasurer Chess Foundation of Canada

Comment

Hi Guys

Its about 2 weeks to go before year ends.

This weekend we have one of the biggest tournament in Toronto which is the Hart House tournament. Normally there will be more than 100 players playing. Right now, pre-registered list has more than 80 players now. 3 days tournament starting this Friday.

In Jan, we have Buffalo International on Jan 17-18. It`s just across the Niagara Falls. It features IM Kenneth Reagan and some NM of US.

In Feb, we have our Guelph on Feb 7-8 host by Hal Bond. Great tournament as usual. Then we have our Hart House reading week on Feb 14-16.

In between, we have the GTCL team competition. They starts from Jan and ends in February.

All in all, 5 big tournaments starting this weekend until mid February. 4 of them FIDE rated.

Cheers

Gary Hua

Comment

Is anyone planning an event in late April or early May?
                  Paul Leblanc
                  Treasurer Chess Foundation of Canada

Comment

Working...
                  X