Any chess in Banff?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any chess in Banff?

My wife has taken a job in Banff, and I am sure to go there in a few months. So I was wondering if there were any chess players in Banff?

http://www.thestar.com/entertainment...ff_centre.html

Re : Any chess in Banff?

Hi Ian,
    Banff is an easy commute from Calgary - about 100 KM - say one hour?
    But did you mean to ask if there are bridge clubs in Banff? :)

Comment

Re: Re : Any chess in Banff?

Hi Vlad,

You are right, I am more interested in bridge, but chess is still a great game. I want to get to the Unicorn Pub before Christmas. Last week I was in Banff, so missed your great event.

Comment

I lived in Calgary for the first 24 years of my life, and went to Banff very often. I doubt if there is any organized chess in Banff, Calgary is a different story. The Banff School of Fine Arts maybe...but unlikely.

Comment

Thank you Sid,

I know that Jenny Belzberg was the Chair of the Banff Centre for a few years and that the Belzberg family has generously supported the Banff Centre for many years.
          Maybe I will see you one day in Banff and we can play some blitz games. I don't think we have played since the YMCA in Toronto in the 80's.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Findlay View Post
            Thank you Sid,

I know that Jenny Belzberg was the Chair of the Banff Centre for a few years and that the Belzberg family has generously supported the Banff Centre for many years.
            Maybe I will see you one day in Banff and we can play some blitz games. I don't think we have played since the YMCA in Toronto in the 80's.
            i sometimes go to Calgary although for the last decade it has been for funerals :-(. You never know, so if you can pm me with your contact info. The thing I remember about playing chess with you is that I was unable to beat you!

Comment

Re: Any chess in Banff?

My wife has taken a job in Banff, and I am sure to go there in a few months. So I was wondering if there were any chess players in Banff?

http://www.thestar.com/entertainment...ff_centre.html
              Hi Ian, we have been trying to get a club in Banff going in for a while but its difficult to make it catch on. There might be something going on right now but its fairly small and mostly weak. There is a strong player in Canmore-Jerry Kobalenko and I met him in Banff when we last attempted to create a club there, but he now mostly plays in Calgary. At the ACA level we always hoped to get things moving there if for no other reason than to have an excellent location for an Open tournament!
              For more information you should contact the current ACA ED Vladimir Pechenkin at: albertachess@gmail.com

Comment

And don't miss the 9th annual Grand Pacific Open in Victoria on Easter weekend.
                Paul Leblanc
                Treasurer Chess Foundation of Canada

Comment

Hi Vlad R, I might have to drive in to Calgary. Is there a club that hosts a good 5 or 15 minute tournament in Calgary? BTW, I saw you on the Calgary CBC News talking about the Calgary International tournament. Look forward to meeting you in a few months. Thanks for your help.

Comment

Hi Vlad R, I might have to drive in to Calgary. Is there a club that hosts a good 5 or 15 minute tournament in Calgary? BTW, I saw you on the Calgary CBC News talking about the Calgary International tournament. Look forward to meeting you in a few months. Thanks for your help.
                    We usually have regular time control tournaments at the Calgary Chess Club. Once in a while Rapid events are held and even more infrequently Blitz.

Comment

Working...
                    X