USCF tournaments in Buffalo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USCF tournaments in Buffalo

I have received an email from Mc Duffie (knightsof64@yahoo.com 716 510-4513), USCF Tournament Director in Buffalo.
    He's organizing 2 chess tournaments:
    December 20th, 2014
    January 17th-18th , 2015 (the Open section is FIDE rated)

Re: USCF tournaments in Buffalo

Peace Bridge International Winter Chess Festival Press Release
    Date: Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Where: Old First Ward Community Center, 62 Republic, Buffalo NY
    Date: January 17 and January 18, 2015
    Time: Registration is from 8:45am – 9:00am
    Media Contact: Michael A. Mc Duffie, Email: Knightsof64@yahoo.com

The Archangel 8 Chess Academy, an official affiliate of the World Chess Federation (FIDE) and US Chess Federation presents the First Annual 2015 Friendship Cup featuring Buffalo native, World Chess Federation and USCF International Master, Kenneth W. Regan, Ph.D., on Saturday, January 17 and Sunday, January 18, 2014 at the Old First Ward Community Center, 62 Republic in Buffalo NY. The two day, Peace Bridge International Winter Chess Festival is held to promote, grow more competitive chess matches with USA and Canadian Chess Federation rated players.

Registrations are being accepted for three sections; FIDE OPEN, U1700 and USCF Rated Beginners Open Scholastic K-12 with reply to Knightsof64@yahoo.com by Wednesday, January 14, 2015. All players are to report by 9am, Games start at 10am. USCF membership is required for all sections.

The 2015 Friendship Cup format includes a two day and one day schedule of games. The Two day schedule includes Five - World Chess Federation (FIDE) and USCF Dual rated games, Duration of games will be Game 120 with 5 second delay.

The One Day schedule - Four dual USCF rated sanctioned games with duration of Game 60 and the Finals are Game 90.

New Section will include a Beginners Rated Open Scholastic K-12. USCF membership required, USCF rated games are Game 35 with 5 second delay and no elimination. Scholastic trophies awarded to the Top three winners and Top Female in sections K-4, – K - 8th and K– 12 Graders donated by Buffalo Teacher’s Federation, Inc.

Past international tournaments have attracted some of the nations best USCF rated National Masters, Candidate Masters, Female Masters and International Masters from Toronto Canada, Ithaca, Cornell, Binghamton, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, and Erie PA.

The 2015 Friendship Cup is proudly support by Old First Ward Community Center, Buffalo Teacher’s Federation, Inc., Buffalo and Erie County Public Libraries and Garnell W. Whitfield, Jr. Buffalo Fire Commissioner.

Comment

Round 2 should starts at 2.30pm instead of 12.30pm. Printing error, I guess

Comment

I am thinking of heading up Friday, for this Saturday's tournament...any hotel recommendations in that area of Buffalo?

Comment

Originally posted by Marco Greco View Post
          I am thinking of heading up Friday, for this Saturday's tournament...any hotel recommendations in that area of Buffalo?
          The Hyatt on Pearl St. is about a 10 minute drive from the site.
          "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
          "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
          "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

I will be travelling with my 9 year old son without my wife...are they strict at the border requesting Consent Letter for Children Travelling Abroad?

Comment

I will be travelling with my 9 year old son without my wife...are they strict at the border requesting Consent Letter for Children Travelling Abroad?
              Hi Marco,

I have went there a couple of times with my son, 11 ( without my wife ) and there is no problem at all. Just print out the tournament flyer and tell the officer at the immigration that both of you are playing in a chess tournament for a day. It should be all right.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Hua View Post
                Hi Marco,

I have went there a couple of times with my son, 11 ( without my wife ) and there is no problem at all. Just print out the tournament flyer and tell the officer at the immigration that both of you are playing in a chess tournament for a day. It should be all right.
                I can remember when I used to go from Sarnia, Ontario, across the Bluewater Bridge, to Port Huron, Michigan, to go to weekend tournaments in Detroit, Michigan.....got across just with a birth certificate! Now I'm in the process of getting a renewed passport in case I want to go to a USA tournament (I am a member of the USCF and have a USCF rating). I guess there is some justification for the increased security between "good friends".

Bob A

Comment

My youngest is now 23 so it has been a while since I had that issue to deal with; I used to get my wife to sign a letter anyway
                  and I brought it with me on those occasions BUT I never used the letter...
                  In my experience with CBSA, it isn't wise to open with paperwork of any kind unless asked for it. :)
                  ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Deleted - Duplicate by Mistake

Duplicate by mistake
                    Last edited by Bob Armstrong; Friday, 19th December, 2014, 11:31 AM.

Comment

Good suggestion :)

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
                        I can remember when I used to go from Sarnia, Ontario, across the Bluewater Bridge, to Port Huron, Michigan, to go to weekend tournaments in Detroit, Michigan.....got across just with a birth certificate! Now I'm in the process of getting a renewed passport in case I want to go to a USA tournament (I am a member of the USCF and have a USCF rating). I guess there is some justification for the increased security between "good friends".

Bob A
                        I used to go to Detroit with my good friend, Phil Haley, who was in Sarnia at the time. I was in early university then and had no car. So he used to always drive us down. It was so close, we could just commute the two days. It was Phil who, at the time, talked me into buying a CFC Life Membership (I had just started playing tournament chess).....best business decision I ever made in my life!

Bob A

Comment

A Winter Chess Festival and a World Chess Federation (FIDE) a special international Chess event to help promote and establish friendships with Canadian chess players along with an exchange of cultural cross skills.

http://buffalochess.blogspot.ca/

The first annual International Friendship Cup Chess tournament is hosted by The Buffalo Teachers Federation, Inc. and The Archangel 8 Chess Academy, an official affilate of the United States Chess Federation, celebrating over 16 years of Enrichment Youth Chess programs in the Buffalo - Niagara Falls and WNY area.

Please refer to the link above for more information.

It`s about 3 weeks from now. Please write to Mc Duffie for pre-registration. Payment can be made when you arrive on the day ( Saturday ). The venue is big and can accommodate 200 players. As mentioned by Mc Duffie, this tournament is to promote and establish friendship with Canadian players. So why not take this opportunity.....Prize fund is quite generous.....

DATES: January 17, 2015 and January 18, 2015

Merry X-Mas and a happy New Year to everyone

Comment

2 weeks to go before the first tournament near GTA. There is one at Ottawa ( Jan 16-18 ).

A couple of Canadians has registered according to the TD. Hopefully, there will be about at least 20 players from Canada. A Fide rated in the Open section and good prize funds for both sections.

Happy New Year to everyone

Comment

A couple more days to go. A couple of NMs and an IM are playing there. A couple of young Canadian Juniors are playing there as well and one of them played in the recently concluded U-16 Olympiad.

Hope to have more Canadians signing soon.

Cheers

Comment

Working...
                              X