Spraggett's post "Canada to abandon ZONAL status ?!"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spraggett's post "Canada to abandon ZONAL status ?!"

Interesting post on Spraggett's chess blog.

https://kevinspraggettonchess.wordpr...-zonal-status/

"CFC unable to fulfill FIDE responsibilities!

Following an October news item on this blog about the current Canadian Chess Federation (CFC) leadership’s difficulties/refusal to organize any national ADULT championships during recent times–going on to almost three years– or to send ANY representative to this year’s World Junior or Continental Championship (Brazil), the news today is even darker!

According to sources that prefer to remain anonymous, the traditional Canadian FLAGSHIP tournaments, the CANADIAN OPEN as well as the ZONAL CHAMPIONSHIP, will be chucked into the waste-paper basket in early January (2015). The Canadian representative for the upcoming World Knockout Championship in 2015 will be decided by LOTTERY amongst the CFC members. The CFC will petition FIDE to withdraw it’s ZONAL status at the next FIDE congress…

This is all in the wake of a recent restructuring of the CFC , one that has seen the Canadian government distance itself and withdraw its special tax status. The province of Saskatchewan withdrew from the CFC last year. Since 2007 atleast 50% of adult members have left the federation and have refused to renew membership. Despite all this, the current CFC president, Vladimir Druklec, has characterized the CFC’s performance last year as ”excellent”…."

Re: Spraggett's post "Canada to abandon ZONAL status ?!"

Yeah, sure.
    That screed is likely the latest Appendix to Spraggett's long-awaited and breathlessly anticipated expose of chess in Canada...
    What a crock. He hasn't quite delivered, has he?
    ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

That is a really revolting clip on the site. Far too graphic for an unrestricted chess site and maybe even too
      graphic for a restricted site.

Comment

Originally posted by Graham Price View Post
        That is a really revolting clip on the site. Far too graphic for an unrestricted chess site and maybe even too
        graphic for a restricted site.
        Yes, Spraggett's "chess" site is NSFW and pretty much a complete embarrassment
        (if he simply posted the chess information it would actually be very, very good).
        Unfortunately, he prefers to be 'titillating' and post a lot of questionable content
        (and I am not talking about his opinions such as the CFC bashing referred to above).
        ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

I've always wondered why Canada has the privilege of having a FIDE zone all to itself. We've certainly never been a big chess power (like say Russia) nor have the large population of countries like the U.S. I'm not complaining :) but logically speaking wouldn't it make more sense for Canada, U.S.A. (and maybe Mexico, Central America and Carribbean, as in soccer's CONCACAF) to be combined in a zone?

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Kurkowski View Post
            I've always wondered why Canada has the privilege of having a FIDE zone all to itself. We've certainly never been a big chess power (like say Russia) nor have the large population of countries like the U.S. I'm not complaining :) but logically speaking wouldn't it make more sense for Canada, U.S.A. (and maybe Mexico, Central America and Carribbean, as in soccer's CONCACAF) to be combined in a zone?
            Well, does it makes sense that every marginal chess federation in Africa and in the middle-east each has one vote in the FIDE election? The reigning president can basically buy his election by: 1-shipping a few cases full of chess sets and clocks to some poor countries; and 2-paying for travel and accomodation (i.e. vacations) for these guys to come over at the congress and vote.

The side effect is that you then have to give a vote and a whole FIDE zone to countries like Canada, so they'll feel better about it. But who cares? When Canada votes for you, you basically have a free hand to do whatever you want and feel good about it.

And might I add, we have entered that 'charity zone' whereas FIDE is apparently willing to give us money to organize tournaments. But it didn't work out because we are trying to do things top-down instead of the other way around...
            Last edited by Mathieu Cloutier; Monday, 15th December, 2014, 02:29 AM.

Comment

Spraggett's site has always struck me as kind of bizarre. It's hard to take it seriously when it has the ambiance of an 80's garage full of pinups on the wall.

Comment

Originally posted by Remi Gunn View Post
                Spraggett's site has always struck me as kind of bizarre. It's hard to take it seriously when it has the ambiance of an 80's garage full of pinups on the wall.
                Well, I'm not a psychologist in any way or form, but I'm sure there would be lots to say about the content on his blog. As you said, it reminds us of these 80's garages. The uncle who's a little unsure about the geometry* of his sexuality so he makes sure that there's pinups everywhere on the walls.

* Here 'geometry' refers to shape, size, orientation or a combination of these.

Comment

Originally posted by Sid Belzberg View Post
                  Interesting post on Spraggett's chess blog.

https://kevinspraggettonchess.wordpr...-zonal-status/

"CFC unable to fulfill FIDE responsibilities!

Following an October news item on this blog about the current Canadian Chess Federation (CFC) leadership’s difficulties/refusal to organize any national ADULT championships during recent times–going on to almost three years– or to send ANY representative to this year’s World Junior or Continental Championship (Brazil), the news today is even darker!

According to sources that prefer to remain anonymous, the traditional Canadian FLAGSHIP tournaments, the CANADIAN OPEN as well as the ZONAL CHAMPIONSHIP, will be chucked into the waste-paper basket in early January (2015). The Canadian representative for the upcoming World Knockout Championship in 2015 will be decided by LOTTERY amongst the CFC members. The CFC will petition FIDE to withdraw it’s ZONAL status at the next FIDE congress…

This is all in the wake of a recent restructuring of the CFC , one that has seen the Canadian government distance itself and withdraw its special tax status. The province of Saskatchewan withdrew from the CFC last year. Since 2007 atleast 50% of adult members have left the federation and have refused to renew membership. Despite all this, the current CFC president, Vladimir Druklec, has characterized the CFC’s performance last year as ”excellent”…."

And if you ask Drkulec to define 'excellent', he'll give you a whole list of areas and clubs that are increasing membership of juniors and he'll talk about CYCC and WYCC and other junior events. The CFC has become just like Christmas: it's all about the kids.

For the adults, there is no Santa Claus.

But I would be really surprised if there is no Canadian Open in 2015, after the reportedly excellent one in 2014. A good organization should know and should know how to build on success.
                  Only the rushing is heard...
                  Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Working...
                  X